Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2007 10:34:07 AM EDT
Saw this post today and with the price of surplus ammo these days it makes you want to cry (or get a shovel and chance it hink
ODCMP ammunition forum
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#1]
digging up old military waste??  um...........the thanks............ I don't want any extra fingers or toes................
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree, I would never want to go digging around an old military base. Its just sad more than anything  to think of tens of thousands of rounds of quality ammunition just being buried like that. Also, kind of ticks me off as a taxpayer.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#3]
My ex BIL used to tell of his days at Pendleton where they would buys thousands and thousands of rounds instead of checking it back in due to the paperwork....

What a waste....  

Would be nice if our tax dollars were better used...
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 10:20:33 AM EDT
[#4]
THey could get some of the money back by at least selling it or transfering it to law enforcement.  (of course I prefer the selling ;)
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
THey could get some of the money back by at least selling it or transfering it to law enforcement.

Then law enforcement could sell it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#6]
We always shot up the extra ammo.  We were always told we could not turn in extra ammo, cause we'd get that much less next year - and we might need it to qual.  So everyone got a turn gunning.  It was a blast!
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I agree, I would never want to go digging around an old military base. Its just sad more than anything  to think of tens of thousands of rounds of quality ammunition just being buried like that. Also, kind of ticks me off as a taxpayer.  

Considering that most of them are talking about the 60's, I would not get too pissed.  If you are burying ammo today it's pound-me-in-the-ass prison time courtesy of the EPA. Crates, cans, links, and brass are accounted for.  Anyway, a drop in the bucket compared to other waste in gubmint.
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 4:12:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't dig on base!  Just about 3 years ago they dug up an old vescicant gas round (possibly mustard gas) at a base while building a driveway.  The EOD guy who got some on his skin got a pretty bad chemical burn...
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought it was just blanks that the Army didn't want turned in.  In Panama ('87-'89) they'd bring out crate after crate of blanks and expend a few of them on the field outside my antenna farm, and then chuck the unused stuff into the jungle line.  Interestingly enough, the "dry season" in Panama, roughly December through April is when just about all the vegetation dies off and this time of year is prone to grass fires.  EVERY STINKING YEAR.  So needless to say, we had a few occasions when we couldn't leave our site because of the grass fires cooking off thousands and thousands of rounds of blanks.  Some of those grass fires were actually caused by the same soldiers who tossed those blanks out of sight too-grenade simulators and smoke grenades tend to be pretty hot and cause some nasty fires.  I wish they'd had some sort of rules about turning the stuff in for safety reasons at least...
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't go digging in New Mexico...They buried a couple F-tons of radiated materials there (ammo/guns/tanks/ect.).

FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 3:53:54 AM EDT
[#11]
At my last Base, F.E. Warren AFB, WY, they uncovered a cache of mustard gas shells that were buried in a back section of Base.  This was late 1987 and who knows what else got buried then after WWI!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I remember walking in on a conversasion in the platoon Sgt's tent, when deployed, and they were talking about a construction crew coming across 2 UH-1 helicopters burried in the ground.  I don't remember were, but I am thinking it was where I was stationed, Ft. Campbell.  They said that at the time they were replacing all the huey's with UH-60's they tried to keep a few for the top brass and eventually had to get ride of the last few, that they weren't supposed to have, in a hurry, so they dug a big trench and drug those birds in there and burried them.  Perfectly good running Huey's.  I eventually saw some pics of the event which proved it true.  What a friggen waste!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Up in duluth a few years ago, they dug up a parking lot to fix it or something and found either a few live gernades or morter rounds (can't remember) that were WWII vintage.  Just goes to show you never know where it's safe to dig
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I thought it was just blanks that the Army didn't want turned in.  In Panama ('87-'89) they'd bring out crate after crate of blanks and expend a few of them on the field outside my antenna farm, and then chuck the unused stuff into the jungle line.  Interestingly enough, the "dry season" in Panama, roughly December through April is when just about all the vegetation dies off and this time of year is prone to grass fires.  EVERY STINKING YEAR.  So needless to say, we had a few occasions when we couldn't leave our site because of the grass fires cooking off thousands and thousands of rounds of blanks.  Some of those grass fires were actually caused by the same soldiers who tossed those blanks out of sight too-grenade simulators and smoke grenades tend to be pretty hot and cause some nasty fires.  I wish they'd had some sort of rules about turning the stuff in for safety reasons at least...

I know all too well about blank rounds cooking off..
We used to camp out on base when I was in Boy Scouts..
We would hike 5 miles to camp Devil Dog on MCAS New River..
We found boxes, upon boxes, of 5.56mm blanks..
7.62mm blanks in Links, smoke grenades, Pop flares... the works...
one kid thought it would be cool to throw a box of the 5.56 blanks in the fire...
was pretty cool listening to em cook off, till we started to notice that the primers were becoming projectiles...
went through my tent and actually hit my scoutmaster in the back..
Had more fun with MRE bombs than the blanks....

CXS
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#15]
at when I was at the school of infantry in Pendleton in the mid 90's I saw belts and belts of ammo in trees and in the bush. If you did not fire your weapon you did not have to clean it was what I heard the reasoning for as  the armorers would keep people cleaning for hours before libo. so to solve that I heard guys would toss belts of ammo in trees. I remember finding all sorts of stuff even  Garand clips loaded all rusty.

The government will always waste as it is so so easy to spend other peoples money
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top