Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 4:44:52 PM EDT
Is the bull barrel in stainless steel from RRA going to provide enough extra accuracy for the extra price over a a "regular" chrome moly barrel?   All I am needing the accuracy for is out to 300 yards for coyote.  I am starting a build and do not know if I want to spend the extra money if the accuracy difference is negligible.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is the bull barrel in stainless steel from RRA going to provide enough extra accuracy for the extra price over a a "regular" chrome moly barrel?   All I am needing the accuracy for is out to 300 yards for coyote.  I am starting a build and do not know if I want to spend the extra money if the accuracy difference is negligible.

I don't know nothing.  But I'd say no.  No way.  No way in hell. No way in any other place.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I am not sure if I think it worthwhile for Coyote...  but most of the the guys I know who are serious about AR for Prarie Dogs like a 24" bull barrel with free floated handguard...  Obviously Prarie Dogs are a much smaller target...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I sold a lot of RRA Varmit rifles in 16", 18", 20" 24" in 1:8 twist, severl 24" 1:12 twist.  Almost everyone reports groups under 1/2", many claiming 3/10".  They bring me their targets while  I didn't have a ruler or caliper with me, the groups sure were small.  I had one customer claiming 1/4" at 200 yards.  I have similar results with any of the DPMS bull barrels and the Bushmaster Varmiter.  The greatest value, IMHO, it the DPMS Lo-Pro Classic.  It is very inexpensive, is chrome moly and regularly shoots groups under 1/2".  It is not even free floated.  I can recommend any of the above rifles.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
the RRA uses the wylde chambered wilson air guaged barrel - whatever that means...

it equates to accuracy in every rifle i have used or bought.  i am very satisfied with them.  if you want the same barrel i know RB Precision sells them too.  can't tell you much about the price.

i couldn't disagree with NimmerMehr more.  300 yards isn't that far in the grand scheme of things, but i'm an accuracy nut and if my groups would shrink in half with a barrel swap you can bet your ass i'd be doing it...

good luck.

s.tank

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:24:46 AM EDT
[#6]
What is the difference? I'm happy with the 24" bull barrel flattop varmint upper I got from model 1 sales but it's pig heavy on the front. Maybe a counter weight will allow it to be shot freehand with some accuracy but I don't know yet. I'm still getting used to the rifle.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:11:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
it's pig heavy on the front.

+1 on the weight issue

If your hunting style involves any amount of walking, take note of the fact that 24" bull barrels are, well, "pig heavy."

IMO, your accuracy requirements could be met with a lighter profile barrel.

Besides, if you make the "wrong" choice here, you'll have an automatic reason to build another upper.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the help.  What is the weight difference going to be between the 16" bull and the 16" "regular" barrel.  I plan on doing a lot of working and free hand shooting with a scope.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#9]
is this something youve done before.   shooting offhand at 300yds with a high power scope.  thats some serious holding.  get a good cuff sling.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:58:27 AM EDT
[#11]
So will a Chrome Moly heavy be as effective as a stainless stell bull out to 300 yards.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:56:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So will a Chrome Moly heavy be as effective as a stainless stell bull out to 300 yards.

Speed, they are the same.  Accuracy, in regards to production against production barrels, the bull barrel usually groups tighter. But, keep in mind that on production barrels, one can group great while the next one just like it can blow patterns.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I've learned a few things both here and from shooting lately about accuracy and barrel weight.  In the past, I've owned an HBAR Dissy AR, and I currently own a super light Remington Model 7 (.243) and my new build, a pencil-barrel CAR-15.

Observations:  
My pencil barreled bolt gun shoots under 1" with a HS Precision stock (added, admittedly) and handloads, and is a joy to carry.  Also, admittedly, the barrel rarely gets too hot to handle.
My AR's both shoot/shot the same (*in the first few shots) with completely different barrel weights.  I sold the dissipator because it was too front heavy, and my newest 16" is by no means meant for precision, just short-range problem solving if needed (and blasting!).

If your use is for your gun to be a blaster rifle and an occasional 300yd coyote-thumper, I'd humbly recommend you consider not only a regular HBAR profile, but a $25 upgrade to the aluminum FF forend.  I'd also recommend a 20" upper with a flattop and a detatchable CH.  

Shooting at 300yds isn't impossible with a scoped 16", but the 20" is better built for it.  I'd stay away from the 24" length and 1" barrel contour, again, since you're not doing only small targets (it doesn't seem)--those are really "purpose" built guns.

Bottom line, for a shot here and a shot there, almost all barrels with good ammo can keep up with each other.  When you start shooting fast, though,... that's where stiffness and weight (for quicker follow-ups) will matter.  Skip the chrome lining (which will buy you some accuracy) and put the money into the FF tube.  Overall, you'll have a well-balanced gun that's still fun to shoot!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#14]
+1

i'd say liquiddeputy is  about right.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the RRA 24" Bull in 1 in 12" twist and it's great (and heavy).

One word of caution. A Hogue FF tube nut will not work on these large diameter barrels.

If you go the FF route, I know a RRA will work.

My barrel was $200.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Is the bull barrel in stainless steel from RRA going to provide enough extra accuracy for the extra price over a a "regular" chrome moly barrel?  

Unless it’s going to be a bench queen, forget bull barrels.

Coyote hunting doesn’t require lots of shots so a thin profile would be the most portable.

I’ve had lots of rifles with thin barrels and they usually shot as well as anything else.

I have a theory about those HBAR barrels. To me, they look like unfinished barrel blanks. They do not look like a bull barrel someone took the time to contour. I’m guessing these things came about because someone was looking to cut costs.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:22:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:29:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Besides, if you make the "wrong" choice here, you'll have an automatic reason to build another upper.

Feral,  I like the way you think.  Weapons are tools no one weapon fits every situation.  Decide what
you plan to do most of the time with it.  Then build the weapon to fit the need.  If its an AR you may even want to pick the bullet you want to shoot first.  Then the twist and barrel profile and so on.

holtj5,  If you plan to hunt coyotes you may want to look at the 204 Ruger barrel.  Are you planning to sell the hides?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:59:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a RRA 18" Varmint upper.  The thing could shoot but it was front heavy.  I ended loosing the varmint upper and ended up with an upper with one of Denny's recon barrels.  This is much ligher and it shoots better then I can.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm very interested in the Recon Barrels.  Where can I find them and how much are they.  Are they heavy barrels, match grade or what?  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:57:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone had any experience with the Recon Barrels?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top