Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/1/2006 11:05:54 AM EDT
I buy XM193 and M855 but do not shoot much of it because it is crimped. I keep most of it for SHTF. I shoot WWB and now the Walmart Remington because I do alot of reloading and do not want to mess with swagging the primer pockets. I can easily reload the WWB and Remington and am wondering if AE223 has the crimp, and if there is a bulk ammo out there that does not have the primer crimped in? Thanks
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I know nothing about reloading but from what I hear you cant reload federal american egale cases whats so ever I think it is due to the cases being so thin. I what till you heard from someone that knows what there talking about before you stock up on that stuff for real.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I buy XM193 and M855 but do not shoot much of it because it is crimped. I keep most of it for SHTF. I shoot WWB and now the Walmart Remington because I do alot of reloading and do not want to mess with swagging the primer pockets. I can easily reload the WWB and Remington and am wondering if AE223 has the crimp, and if there is a bulk ammo out there that does not have the primer crimped in? Thanks

Federal AE223 normally comes with Federal "FC" marked brass which is not very desireable for reloading in .223, due to thick case walls and thin webs.  It is commercial brass and does not have a crimped primer.

Lately, Federal has been using brass from their Lake City plant, which is excellent brass, but does indeed have crimped primers.

If you are concerned about reloading potential, sticking with Winchester or Remington commercial ammo is your best bet, and then Lake City and WCC crimped cases that require swaging.

That being said - swaging really aint a big deal if you get a Dillon super swage 600.  Trimming is MUCH more of a pain than swaging will ever be.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Georgia Arms ammo is uncrimped and usually good brass. Mainly LC, WWC, and Remington head stamps
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the response. I will check out the Dillon. I also just found a site that sells once fired Mil. brass that is swagged, cleaned, and polished for 40.00 a 1K.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the response. I will check out the Dillon. I also just found a site that sells once fired Mil. brass that is swagged, cleaned, and polished for 40.00 a 1K.

That aint a bad price, but you can do better:

www.brassmanbrass.com/inventory-001.html

Remington commercial for $25/K.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow great price on good brass! Sold, thanks again.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If you are concerned about reloading potential, sticking with Winchester or Remington commercial ammo is your best bet.

+87!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Federal AE223 normally comes with Federal "FC" marked brass which is not very desireable for reloading in .223, due to thick case walls and thin webs. It is commercial brass and does not have a crimped primer.

Your information is outdated.

All new Federal .223 has staked primers.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:10:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Federal AE223 normally comes with Federal "FC" marked brass which is not very desireable for reloading in .223, due to thick case walls and thin webs. It is commercial brass and does not have a crimped primer.

Your information is outdated.

All new Federal .223 has staked primers.

You should have taken the time to finish reading the rest of his post!

Also, the primers are crimped, not staked.  I'm not aware of ANY American ammo companies currently Staking primers.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top