Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/17/2007 6:53:59 PM EDT
I really started this project inadvertently, but it's done no less...Here's what I used.

20" stainless bull barrel with single rail gas-block and vented free-float tube...1:10 twist (honestly, I've never seen a 1:10 twist before...is that gonna work ok?)

Doublestar flat top upper receiver...no idea who made the BCG.

Rock River lower complete lower.

It's a great looking rifle, it just needs a new stock (the 6-position collapsible looks really odd with a 20" barrel) and a better pistol grip. Won't get a chance to shoot it until later this week.

Link Posted: 11/17/2007 6:59:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kcobean:
I really started this project inadvertently, but it's done no less...Here's what I used.

20" stainless bull barrel with single rail gas-block and vented free-float tube...1:10 twist (honestly, I've never seen a 1:10 twist before...is that gonna work ok?)

Doublestar flat top upper receiver...no idea who made the BCG.

Rock River lower complete lower.

It's a great looking rifle, it just needs a new stock (the 6-position collapsible looks really odd with a 20" barrel) and a better pistol grip. Won't get a chance to shoot it until later this week.

I don't see what everyone fusses over about a 20" rifle length with a collapsible stock, if I had one even if it was an "SDM" or "SAMR" type rifle I would still put a SOPMOD stock on it, I don't think it would look bad I've seen many photos of it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 7:04:43 PM EDT
We want a picture.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 7:14:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MMcfpd:
We want a picture.

We need a picture...
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 7:17:51 PM EDT
Like said pics would be nice
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 7:18:37 PM EDT
I mis-typed...it's a 24" barrel...pictures inbound.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 7:25:59 PM EDT
pics
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 7:59:45 PM EDT
Here's a quickie...

This sucker is heavy! I do have a question, if anyone knows....the free float tube doesn't have a sling mount stud....how would I mount a bi-pod on this thing?
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 9:34:03 PM EDT
Nice rifle, I really like the 24" brl. I have a BM Ultra Varmint with a 24" brl and it is heavy too. I have thought about changing the stock out to a CTR to lighten it up a bit but have yet to do it. Do you have any wobble on your stock?

As to the stud, a friend drilled a hole and used a self tapping sling stud on his. I know it held up to a Harris bi-pod throughout the summer shooting p-dogs.
HTH
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 9:56:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sumoj275:
Nice rifle, I really like the 24" brl. I have a BM Ultra Varmint with a 24" brl and it is heavy too. I have thought about changing the stock out to a CTR to lighten it up a bit but have yet to do it. Do you have any wobble on your stock?

As to the stud, a friend drilled a hole and used a self tapping sling stud on his. I know it held up to a Harris bi-pod throughout the summer shooting p-dogs.
HTH

The stock has a fair amount of play in it, like most collapsables. I'd like to get a longer fixed stock for it because it's hard to get proper eye relief on the scope with the collapsible stock.

Thanks for the input on the self-tapping swivel stud, I'll check that out.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 6:48:24 AM EDT
Nice rifle! Where did you find a 1:10 twist barrel? I bet it likes those 52 gr bullets!
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 3:42:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By EL_TIRADOR:
Nice rifle! Where did you find a 1:10 twist barrel? I bet it likes those 52 gr bullets!

I bought it from a vendor at the gun show this weekend. I've got several thousand rounds of Wal-mart bought Federal 52gr....I intend to expend some of it this week breaking this baby in!
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 11:18:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2007 11:24:59 AM EDT by ARSHOOTER65]
Very nice set-up. It would look real sweet with a MAGPUL PRS buttstock.

FYI: The upper is Doublestar's 24" Bull Barrel Upper with Wilson Arm's 1x10 SS Super Match barrel. J&T's 2pc National Match free float handguard and J&T's single rail gas block. A very accurate barrel. The BCG is more than likely from LMT. Very reliable. With 55gr you should shoot 1/2 MOA.

As for the bipod you have a couple of options. I have done both with these handguards. Use a Harris Bipod Adapter #2 (which is a threaded swivel stud and attachment base) and drill a small hole in the smooth section of the handguard behind the vent hole and secure it there. It's not easy getting the threaded base inside the handguard but it is more secure than a self tapping swivel stud. I removed my handguard to install mine. The other option is similar to above, but install a short rail to the underside of the handguard. This offers more options.

** P.S. -Drill a pilot hole before attempting to drill a hole for the diameter of your bolts.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 11:36:25 AM EDT
If you dont want to drill get a gos block that is railed on the bottom then get a rail mounted bipod or a rail mounted swivel stud...this will add more weight...but it is another option.

Link Posted: 11/21/2007 12:20:21 PM EDT
Finding a quality 2 or 4 rail gas block for a bull barrel is darn near impossible. I know - that was my first thought before I modified my handguard. Also, you defeat the purpose of a free floated barrel when you start attaching bipods to the gas block. The top rail is only there for a front BUIS.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 6:00:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARSHOOTER65:
Very nice set-up. It would look real sweet with a MAGPUL PRS buttstock.

FYI: The upper is Doublestar's 24" Bull Barrel Upper with Wilson Arm's 1x10 SS Super Match barrel. J&T's 2pc National Match free float handguard and J&T's single rail gas block. A very accurate barrel. The BCG is more than likely from LMT. Very reliable. With 55gr you should shoot 1/2 MOA.

As for the bipod you have a couple of options. I have done both with these handguards. Use a Harris Bipod Adapter #2 (which is a threaded swivel stud and attachment base) and drill a small hole in the smooth section of the handguard behind the vent hole and secure it there. It's not easy getting the threaded base inside the handguard but it is more secure than a self tapping swivel stud. I removed my handguard to install mine. The other option is similar to above, but install a short rail to the underside of the handguard. This offers more options.

** P.S. -Drill a pilot hole before attempting to drill a hole for the diameter of your bolts.

How in the heck did you know all this?!?!?!?!!

I *did* buy the complete upper from J&T at the gun show, and the guy working the booth (wish I had gotten his name) was VERY helpful and willing to chat and put up with questions. I also bought a Harris BRM Bipod, Harris #5 bipod adapter and a Magpul PRS (this was an expensive weekend because I also bought an upper receiver armorers block and wrench). The only boo-boo in all this is that I didn't realize the PRS requires a rifle-length buffer tube to attach to, thus I let the gun show go by without purchasing one. It's on order now though, should be here next week.

The threaded plate included with the bipod adapter JUST was able to slip between the gas block and the tube (I had to flex the tube a millimeter or two) I was able to simply thread the swivel stud straight up through the bottom vent in the tube into the thread plate and cinch it down. It fits absolutely perfectly, no drilling required!

Got out to the range today with some of this Federal 50Gr varmint stuff and it shot fantastically. The table's we shoot off of at the NRA HQ range are a little to short and too shallow to get a really good shooting position on, but I was still able to shoot some really tight groups.

I love this gun, I can't wait to get the PRS on it and get it back out there!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:29:29 PM EDT
Just a follow up pic of the gun now that it's fully built...The PRS is pretty darn comfortable, though I haven't shot with it yet.

and one with it's little brothers....

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:52:00 PM EDT
Looks good. I ordered a Stag lower to start a build very similar, except with a 1-8" Wilson barrel and a fixed A2 stock.

Also aren't you a mod or admin on a 350Z forum? I think it was one that I remember you from, but it may have been somewhere else.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:57:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RedNoma:
Looks good. I ordered a Stag lower to start a build very similar, except with a 1-8" Wilson barrel and a fixed A2 stock.

Also aren't you a mod or admin on a 350Z forum? I think it was one that I remember you from, but it may have been somewhere else.

LOL...yep, I'm a moderator on my350z.com and another car forum.
Top Top