Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2006 1:38:56 PM EDT
Finally dropped the hammer and bought a you build-it. This is my first Ar rifle. I started with a Stag Arms stripped lower I found at a local gun shop. I looked thru Shotgun News and found a couple of adds. I also trolled around here looking for info.

I went with Model 1 Sales, seemed like they have gotten mixed reviews on here but the price was certainly right and several people seemed satisfied. Picked up the 20" A2 rifle kit. Fit and finish on upper is very good. Casting flash is nowhere to be found, smooth as silk.

Received all pieces and it went together in a bit over an hour. One thing about the kit that I didn't like was the grey butt stock. Some semi-gloss black cleared that up though. The only other problems were the small pins that hold the takedown pins in place. They were too long (filed them down a bit) and too pointy. They would stick in the detent and not allow it to slide. Stoned them down a bit and works fine. Same thing for the safety lever retaining pin. Trigger pull is rough.

I am happy with the results, now all I need is a range report to see how she shoots. If I can find out how, I will add some pics.
Markhttp://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j167/myfakename/ar15-3.jpghttp://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j167/myfakename/ar15-1.jpg
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I just finish mine too!! I went with a Stag upper and lower.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got from the range a while ago and I'm pleased. Shot some cheap russian Bear? ammo and everything worked great. Tried 3 mags and all worked ZERO FTF. Put about 100 rounds through her. I shot at about 80 yards and put all the rounds into a fist sized area. Adjustments were pretty easy, but I have a queation about the rear sight. Is there suppose to be some movement, sise-to-side? Seemed like only spring tension holding it in place. Another strang aspect of the Model 1 kit is the strange smell of perfume? Smelled it when unpacking it and after I shot her. Feel kind of odd shooting this bad a$$ rifle that smells like a french whore.
Mark

BTW still working on putting some pictures up.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice rifle. I like the simple look. I am waiting on a lower from DPMS and my A2 will be complete. I am glad to hear she shot well.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice plan Jane.   Two thumbs up
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:55:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to the boards. Job well done congrats
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:19:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the site.  Looks great.  Good job!!!  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:33:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the responses and happy to be here.  I really do like the simple lines of the A2 and figured it would be the best starting point for me. I would eventually like to build one with 16" bbl, flat top, tube handguard and adj. stock. From that platform, it seems there is an endless array of accessories that I can add. The fun begins.
Mark
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:23:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Welcome and congrats......a little CLP would have darkened the stock

Mike
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:19:05 AM EDT
[#10]

great~!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Good looking plain jane! Man, now I have to build one
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top