Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/17/2017 12:25:55 PM EDT
So, quick back story.
My very first AR was assembled late in 2012, right in the beginning of the panic.
The only upper I could find at the time was an R-Guns (insert nitemare rguns CS story here)  basic M4 upper. I picked it up from AIM for a good deal at the time.
The barrel was very accurate. Here was my first group after sighting in @50yds with irons using PMC Xtac 55gr.

Only issue I had was it was extremely overgassed.
It was my first AR and I didn't really know any better.
But it ate through a set of gas rings in under 1000 rounds, collapsed a buffer spring about 2 inches and damaged a buffer.
It would eject brass to about 12:30

I ended up adding a wolf XP spring and H3 buffer.
It still had a violent recoil impulse.

By the time I had done all of that, I had built up another 3 or 4 rifles, so this guy went into the back of the safe.

Exploring all options from a JP adjustable gas block/A2 front sight block, etc etc I was looking at spending a decent amount of money get the gas where I wanted it. I just back burnered it.

Fast forward several years and Primary Arms had a Fail Zero NIB BCG with FREE Anderson carbine barrel. I had to do it.
I ended up swapping the barrel out and chucked the R-Guns barrel into the parts bin.
It was a shame because the barrel was a nice shooter, aside from overgassing.

You guys know how parts bins grow.
Well, I was only a few parts shy of doing another build, using this rguns barrel.

I ended up getting the following parts to complete it.
Stag Upper from JBO $49
JBO Adjustable gas block $29
Gas Tube $9

What I had on hand to build from
Aero Lower
BCM Enhanced LPK
ALG V2 15" handguard
A1 surplus stock from ebay (refinished with a quick dusting of Aerovoe Black)
A2 extension, buffer and spring
Damage Industries 45* ambi selector
Fail Zero NIB BCG
MFT Grip
Seekins Bolt Catch
Magpul Pro Front Sight
KAC Micro 200-600 Rear Sight
ALG Single Chamber Brake
Rguns Barrel Carbine Gas 1/9 CHF Chrome Lined
Solarforce LM2 light and tape switch/tailcap
ERGO tape switch rail mount (ugly as F*CK, but works)

Took it out yesterday to adjust the gas and sight in.
I ended up having to drive the gas adjustment ALL the way in and it was perfect.
Cycled my super light 3gun loads and wolf steel with 4oclock ejection.
Ran some PMC Bronze, Wolf Gold loads perfect.
Then threw some hot/heavy loads through it and it was great.

Got the irons dialed at 25yds, then moved out to 50yds for a group.
Did this 15 shot group in 2 sessions. PMC Bronze.
First shot 5 rounds, then a couple minutes later fired 10 more at the same target.

It was a fun project and felt good to get that barrel back into use.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Right on.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#2]
That is some good shooting.  While I was reading it, I had a feeling you were getting to an adjustable gas block.  Sometimes putting stuff on the back burner helps us figure things out with time.  

I really like how it looks too.  Home run.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#3]
hey, if you really dislike it that much,,,send it my way

a gun that goes bang, hits where aimed and appears solidly assembled is by no means ugly, it's functional..

I assume no ones itchin to fuck it so beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think it's a very attractive weapon
Chef..
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Got the irons dialed at 25yds, then moved out to 50yds for a group.
Did this 15 shot group in 2 sessions. PMC Bronze.
First shot 5 rounds, then a couple minutes later fired 10 more at the same target.

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj512/savagemann69/20170416_112436_resize_zpswctyoyut.jpg
View Quote
I couldn't shoot a group like that with irons from 50 inches let alone 50 yards .  Nice shootin' there.  Nice lookin' rifle too!

One question though....how in the heck do you get that many quality parts in your bin before putting another rifle together???
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice work OP.  Good looking rifle for sure.  And nice shooting
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys.

JJREA, it did help putting it on the back burner.
I'm really happy with how it came out. It's a little heavy compared to my last few builds, but I find there's something about it that makes me warm inside.

dmorris99, I'm loving how it came out. Especially the LOP of the A1 stock.
It all just feels right. :)
I'm kinda maybe wanting to fuck it, just a little.

PopGunner, Thanks man. I could see the yellow splotch forming from 50 yards and new it was making a nice group.
It's funny you mention the parts. Several of the parts were used on previous builds and then swapped out. I think a few of the parts have been on 3 or 4 rifles temporarily until I got the parts I intended for those builds. I usually don't end up with so many spare parts.
In fact, I once built a rifle because I had a gas block laying around. :)

M4ger, thanks. The rifle this barrel came from eventually became an m4gery. With the properly gassed barrel, that rifle shoots nice as well. I just need to get a proper rear for THAT build now. Matech are kinda spendy for me ATM.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice build.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#8]
nice build

gotta love it when parts shoot like that
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it even looks sexy. Good work brother and nice shooting!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top