Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/22/2008 8:36:10 PM EDT
sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong spot.  I looked and haven't found my answers yet.

I have a DPMS kittyKat 7" upper and just got a registered SBR lower.  I Intend to run this with a can full time or at least most of the time.

question 1)  what buffer would you recommend?

question 2)  would this be a good candidate for a gas piston conversion?  if so...what buffer to use with it and what kit would you recommend?

thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 2:27:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I was told by Gemtec  that the 7.5 inch barrel does not always stabilize the bullets.  They said to expect a can strike every 1000 rounds on average.  They would not warranty the can for the damage of the unstabilized bullet.

If you want to run a can, I would suggest 10.5 to 11 inch barrel based on research.  No first hand experience on my part.

Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:45:29 AM EDT
[#2]
On something that short, you'll most likely want a heavy buffer.  H2, H3, or even a 9mm if you listen to some of the talk around here.  And as Mike said, most can manufacturers do NOT recommend using a supressor on any barrel shorter than 10.5".  Even if you did, your not going to hush that bang.  You might consider getting a longer barrel if you intend to use this for anything other than a range toy anyway.

That said...I love my 7"!!!  
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#3]
hmmmmm what about a 1:7 twist rate barrel?  would that prevent a baffle strike with heavier ammo I wonder??
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a .308 can. Bigger diameter exit hole.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 7:25:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
hmmmmm what about a 1:7 twist rate barrel?  would that prevent a baffle strike with heavier ammo I wonder??

I'm no expert but I would think not.  Besides, there's always the higher pressure issue to contend with.  it's just not a good idea to stick suppressors on something so short.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 4:02:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I run the ST-SST buffer from Spikes, on my 7 inch.. 5.56 loads were too hot and making the bolt run super fast. Their buffer is 7.0 oz and machined nicely.. I recommend it highly.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I run the ST-SST buffer from Spikes, on my 7 inch.. 5.56 loads were too hot and making the bolt run super fast. Their buffer is 7.0 oz and machined nicely.. I recommend it highly.

I think I'm gonna run that in my two builds.  Both of mine are 11.5" though.  I'm still researching to see if they are TOO heavy

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top