Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2003 1:33:19 PM EDT
This is my first post on this forum and have not acquired my AR yet.(Beretta 96 just is'nt enough:) I have been doing some research and have chosen building as the way 2 go. I can get to know my rifle more than some do, before a shot is even fired. The "AR Primer" article seemed like a good way to go. I have a 0-650 budget and am considering a 20" rifle. Model 1 sales sells a 20" kit so I'll only need a stripped lower to make the rifle. Jt also has a kit for 450. Lower receiver would come from Bushmaster or RRA. Bushy sells for 185. (from them,any place sell em cheaper?) and RRA for 95.(from SableCO, good deal?) This will be upgraded with chrome lined barrels and such later. The rifle would be purchesed w/30rd mag and sling. Are stripped lowers hard to assemble? What parts/manuals may be needed? Any opinions on any of these products? Whew.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If you look to the main menu on the left,you'll find detailed, very easy to follow instructions on assembling a lower.  

The least expensive lowers seem to be Eagle Arms from Quantico Arms, $100 plus shipping and FFL, and the Stingers, which are going for $89 shipped plus FFL.  If you can get them in person, you save the transfer fee.  I've got 4 Eagles, they're as good as any I've seen. Everyone who has the Stingers loves 'em, so I guess it's a toss up. RRA is good too, especially at the price you mentioned.  

If you search the AR Board under "build", I'll bet you'll find tons of stuff on what/where to get your parts.  My Model 1 kit was fine; only the charging handle didn't pass muster...it felt like it was made from pot metal...other than that, it went together fine, and the fit and finish were okay.  

A lot of people like the J&T, and I think the M&As are good too.  LOTS of stuff to choose from, so have fun!  
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
[b]First welcome to the board[wave] If you can get a RRA lower for $95 buy it. I don't know where your going to find a stripped lower any cheaper. As for them being hard to assemble, not really but like everything else the first time is always a bitch.

Read this [url=http://www.ar15.com/content/docs/assembly/lower/]Info[/url] over and you shouldn't have any problems. If you do post them here. Good Luck and once again Welcome to the board.

SaFe ShOoTiNg
 Jerry [):)][/b]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the site.  The others about summed it up.  I can vouch for the RRA lowers.  I built one using their lower and upper.  Study the assembly instructions on this site.  They are very detailed and you should have no problem.  About the hardest, not really hardest but agrivating is the detent spring and detent for the front pivot pin.  Be carefull cause it will go flying and hard to find when it flys across the room[:D]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I use Olympic Arms lowers because they are nice and tight and have no play, but the RRA should be a great deal as well.  Just remember to check around and figure who you are getting your lower sent to.  If they charge and arm and a leg, it may be worth finding a new dealer.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help so far. Next time I go to my gunshop I might inquire about pricing. Model 1 upper kit and RRA stripped lower amounts to a total of...495!!! WOW! Now thats not including the FFL transfer fee or sling+mag/mags. It will be nice to own a politicly incorrect rifle, just makes me feel safer. :)
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Lower assembly made easy.
[url]http://www.ar15.com/content/docs/assembly/lower/[/url]

My choice would be a RRA, Eagle or DPMS forged receiver with a J&T kit.  The receiver will run under $100, the FFL transfer around $20, and the J&T kit requries no fitting.  You will spend around $50 extra for the J&T kit, but will be well worth the extra money.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top