Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 8/28/2003 12:00:41 PM EST
I am interested in building a AR15 from a stripped lower. I know it would have to be a postban, so that isn't my concern. I am wondering if I buy a stripped lower through my FFL and it is registered, do I have to do anything else to make sure it is a legal firearm? Any further registration paperwork once it is complete, or any taxes, etc? Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 12:46:32 PM EST
It might depend on where you live. I don't know anything about ny gun laws but here in Louisiana, i purchased a stripped lower and had it transfered through a ffl. The kit and mags i ordered were delivered straight to my door.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 1:02:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/28/2003 1:02:41 PM EST by Archer1122]
It is my understanding that the lower is the firearm and everything else is "accessories". As long as you don't have more than 2 of the "evil features" when complete you are ok. I think the purpose of DIY is to learn the rifle and save money(the Excise tax). But this is my$.02. If I am wrong disregard entire post![:D]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 1:13:29 PM EST
On an AR15 the lower receiver is the part with the serial number and IS the gun. You register this same as a complete rifle. Once it is registered to you, you are done with registration. Build it up however you please, just make sure to NOT use any pre-ban parts / features to stay legal. This is the whole deal in Arizona at least, other states may have more restrictions... but isn't this still the U.S.A.? (sort of).
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 1:20:20 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 2:10:23 PM EST
If you ever sell the completed rifle, you technically owe 10% federal tax on the sale. If you sell the upper to one person and the lower assembly to another person, you owe no federal tax. Then again, you are going to make a nice gun. Never sell a nice gun. You'll wish you had it back. Pete
Top Top