Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2003 1:00:41 PM EDT
I am interested in building a AR15 from a stripped lower.  I know it would have to be a postban, so that isn't my concern.  I am wondering if I buy a stripped lower through my FFL and it is registered, do I have to do anything else to make sure it is a legal firearm? Any further registration paperwork once it is complete, or any taxes, etc?  Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#1]
It might depend on where you live. I don't know anything about ny gun laws but here in Louisiana, i purchased a stripped lower and had it transfered through a ffl. The kit and mags i ordered were delivered straight to my door.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 2:02:18 PM EDT
[#2]
It is my understanding that the lower is the firearm and everything else is "accessories". As long as you don't have more than 2 of the "evil features" when complete you are ok. I think the purpose of DIY is to learn the rifle and save money(the Excise tax). But this is my$.02.

If I am wrong disregard entire post![:D]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#3]
On an AR15 the lower receiver is the part with the serial number and IS the gun.  You register this same as a complete rifle.

Once it is registered to you, you are done with registration.  Build it up however you please, just make sure to NOT use any pre-ban parts / features to stay legal.

This is the whole deal in Arizona at least, other states may have more restrictions... but isn't this still the U.S.A.?   (sort of).
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#5]
If you ever sell the completed rifle, you technically owe 10% federal tax on the sale.

If you sell the upper to one person and the lower assembly to another person, you owe no federal tax.

Then again, you are going to make a nice gun. Never sell a nice gun. You'll wish you had it back.

Pete
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top