Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 10/9/2007 6:07:20 PM EST
I am researching parts and uppers and lowers to build my first AR.

It seems like Del-Ton has a nice setup where you can say what you want to order for uppers and lower parts and then all you need is a stripped lower.

What can you tell me about their quality?

Anything special I need to know for building my first AR?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:52:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/9/2007 6:53:13 PM EST by rcr29]

Originally Posted By hawkeye180:
I am researching parts and uppers and lowers to build my first AR.

It seems like Del-Ton has a nice setup where you can say what you want to order for uppers and lower parts and then all you need is a stripped lower.

What can you tell me about their quality?

Anything special I need to know for building my first AR?

Del-ton is good. Hesse/vulcan is bad. Stay away from them. Lube the rifle well, and enjoy shooting it.

ETA: If you can get a chrome lined barrel, go for it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:03:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/9/2007 9:10:43 PM EST by benbob]
Del-Ton or J&T Distributing kits are perfect for a first time AR builder. You'll wind up with a great plinker at a great price.

Get the chrome lined option on either, pick your favorite configuration and put it all together.

If you get a retractable stock, you'll need a special wrench to install it, www.del-ton.com/Spanner_Wrench_p/tl1015.htm otherwise, you'll only need a hammer and a screwdriver.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:31:16 PM EST
I hope you realize this will not be the only AR you build. I started off with a J&T CAR kit a few years ago, have 3 AR's now and getting ready to start #4. As far as chrome lining, if you want bore durability go for chrome. If you want to maximize accuracy, no chrome. A chrome lined barrel is plated after the rifling is cut. Having worked for a plater in college, it can be difficult to get precise thickness. Now I'm only talking about a few thousandths. But a spot thats a little thick on chrome will affect bullet diameter,I think it's called swaging, as it's coming down the barrel causing it to deflect slightly and hurt accuracy. Just my .02$
Top Top