Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 7/22/2008 6:18:13 PM EST
I would like to build an AR from a recently purchased "NEW" lower.
What rules do I need to be concerned with in regards to barrel length (minimum)?
Collapsable stock?
Pistol grip?

Since this is a post 1994 rifle do I fall into all the limits and regs of the 1994 assault rifle ban and such?

Please advise.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:25:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By jumper1515:
I would like to build an AR from a recently purchased "NEW" lower.
What rules do I need to be concerned with in regards to barrel length (minimum)? 16" whether that's from barrel alone or a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached flash hider
Collapsable stock?A-ok
Pistol grip?same

Since this is a post 1994 rifle do I fall into all the limits and regs of the 1994 assault rifle ban and such?AWB sunsetted years ago.

Please advise.

Any other questions?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:25:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 6:26:35 PM EST by cav_scout_tj]
16" barrel is the only rule that matters. You can have all the collapsible stocks, grips, flash hiders and bayonet lugs you want. That 1994 law expired years ago. The only thing that matters is state laws, and I dont think FL has any.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:31:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By cav_scout_tj:
16" barrel is the only rule that matters. You can have all the collapsible stocks, grips, flash hiders and bayonet lugs you want. That 1994 law expired years ago. The only thing that matters is state laws, and I dont think FL has any.

Yup , FL is a "free" state. Go hog-wild nuts , build yourself whatever you want. You can use 14.5" bbl IF you permanantly attach a muzzle device 1.75" or better. But IMO - just use a 16" bbl or better for the velocity anyway. IN FL you can have NFA items if you file the red-tape and write the check. Have Fun.

-JC
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:21:31 PM EST
Go nuts.

Only thing you need to watch out with is the barrel length. You could have a 5 inch barrel and an 11 inch muzzle device that's permanently installed, or you could have a 16 inch barrel with nothing on the end. Just as long as the barrel length from bolt face to the tip of whatever you put on your barrel is greater than 16 inches your good to go.

Don't worry about the AWB here in FL. Don't get suckered into buying "pre-ban" stuff, cause you can get everything you could before the ban -and more- brand spanking new.

If you are feeling particularly spendy, you can go through to process of registering your rifle as a Short Barrel Rifle and not have to worry about barrel length at all. Pretty much the same process to get a silencer too. And yes, you can legally own these and more here in FL. Click Here to find out more.
Top Top