Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2008 11:42:19 PM EDT
Well this is my first post and I'm really glad I found these forums.  

Ever since the gun show came into town about 4 months ago I have regretted not buying the M4 that they had for $1,200 but after doing a lot of research around the web I've found that if you know where to look and know what you're doing you can build one cheaper then that.  

I'm not new to firearms by any means, however I am completely lost when it comes to the assembly of an AR-15.  
That's where I need some help from you guys if you don't mind...

I need to know where I can find quality parts in a reasonable price range because all and all I'm trying not to spend over $700 or even less if possible.  

I figure most of you guys know the best places to look and what parts I am going to need to get the job done.

My budget is my #1 concern so any pointers would be helpful.  If anyone could please just give a list of the bare minimum parts that are required and where to get them I would be very thankful.

You guys seem like a great group of people from the forms that I've been reading and I hope to learn a lot from all of you.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you checked out the Equipment Exchange (EE) here on the site. Look for the link just below and to the left side of the banner ads. Buy from members, dealers or Industry Partners here. Depending what you want you might be able to achieve your quest.

There are also "how to" threads in the AR15 BIY section.

Welcome to the site and good luck.

ETA: I just noticed that you are from IA. What part of the state are you from? Be sure to visit the Iowa Hometown Forum.
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 12:06:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm from Cedar Rapids, where are you from?

Edit: Thanks by the way the Equipment Exchange looks like it might be the best way to go for me.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 12:14:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome djrichmond, if you are wanting to see each part in a publication of some sorts, the easiest way is to call Brownells and ask for their catalog on ar15/m16 and ar type .308. 800 741 0015.
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 2:00:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome ,

While there is a "library" in the lower left section of the Homepage here which will cover the parts details issue probably the most useful thread is tacked above, placed here for you to review: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

Should get you off on the right foot....

mike
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 5:15:47 AM EDT
[#5]
It is definitely possible man. I'm about halfway through my first build and managed to keep the basic rifle assembly itself under 800 bucks. A good quality, simple lower should run around 100 dollars, I chose a Stag because they're a local company with a good reputation and offer discounts to dealers in the area. From there, I went ahead and ordered a Del-Ton rifle kit (http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifle_Kits_s/1.htm), based largely on the recommendations of other site members. They are a sponsor and have an excellent reputation for customer service according to everyone I talk to, so I'm eagerly awaiting delivery. Other than that, you'll just need a punch set and a few other incidentals, but nothing that will break the bank. If budget is your primary concern, just stick to the meat and potatoes of the rifle, but good luck trying to ignore all the cool aftermarket accessories.
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 5:41:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure exactly what you are looking for but I just built this for $701.67.

Essential Arms lower $85.00 plus shipping and FFL Fee
Stag 2H upper KIT $599.00 shipped. On sale till election day from Legal Transfers.

Put it together, go shooting!
Welcome and good luck!
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 6:11:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Fear not.  I was a little apprehensive to begin my first build, but after reading the guides posted in this thread - http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782 several times, I had the confidence to move forward.  And wow, was I surprised at how easy it was to assemble a lower!  Just study the steps ahead of time, and take your time with the assembly.

If you can find a stripped lower locally, chances are good that you'll be able to assemble a KISS rifle for under $700.  I'll highly recommend Del-Ton for a rifle kit or just a complete upper.  Excellent customer service.
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 6:56:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Welcome, sounds like your ahead of the game! Good job..
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 8:02:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Welcome to the boards.  If you take your time, it is possible to build one for  ~$500 - $700 +/- shopping the EE for most things.  I've built a couple that way.  You have to watch the shipping, though, and try to buy things together.  For example, if you get a buffer for $3, and pay $4.70 for shipping, it adds up quickly.  Similarly, an LPK for $48 shipped would be a good deal.  As far as I can see, the EA stripped lowers from Dynamic Armament for $85 are the best things going.  They used to be $77 from EA, but they raised their price to $86 last year, or maybe earlier this year.
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well this is my first post and I'm really glad I found these forums.  

Thanks!!

You'll curse us in no time , after you build your first rifle and catch Black Rifle Disease ! -

just kidding, welcome to the boards !

The EE is an incredible place to find bargains AND you help others feed their BRD. It's a win-win.
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:
Not sure exactly what you are looking for but I just built this for $701.67.

Essential Arms lower $85.00 plus shipping and FFL Fee
Stag 2H upper KIT $599.00 shipped. On sale till election day from Legal Transfers.

Put it together, go shooting!
Welcome and good luck!

I did the same thing.Except I used a DPMS lower that I picked up locally.
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#12]
wow thats a lot of replies is a short time!  Damn these must be some active forums.  

Thanks for the input guys, I just ordered a stripped stag arms lower from my FFL dealer down the road and it looks like I am going to be going the Del-Ton route for the upper due to the awesome price.  

I do have one question though, since I ordered the stag arms lower do I necessarily have to get the stag arms lower parts kit or can I go with something cheaper?

Thanks for all the welcomes!
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#13]
for the budget minded ar 15 i built an ar 15 for about $650 i have a spikes lower bought for $125 and a m4 rifle kit bought off of del-ton.com. $535
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
wow thats a lot of replies is a short time!  Damn these must be some active forums.  

Thanks for the input guys, I just ordered a stripped stag arms lower from my FFL dealer down the road and it looks like I am going to be going the Del-Ton route for the upper due to the awesome price.  

I do have one question though, since I ordered the stag arms lower do I necessarily have to get the stag arms lower parts kit or can I go with something cheaper?

An LPK is an LPK .... use whomever you want
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#15]
BM 16" LW Barrel assembly (gas tube, handguards, delta ring group)- $250
fulton armory slab side upper upper $100
BCM Bolt carrier group - $130
DPMS lower - $129
DPMS LPK - $60
CMT commercial "car" stock complete $40
A1 pistol Grip $5

total $714, I think that is about bare bones as you can get for all new parts. (not off the equipment exchange) ((at the time I built this I only paid $660 for all of the parts, I'm using today's prices I see on the web))

pic
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#16]
But the entire kit from Delton. You won't be sorry and everything will fit together fine.
I used a Superior Arms because it has an adjustment screw for the trigger. So far I have built three of these with Delton kits. My personal use one has over 2000 rounds without a jam. I use Remington UMC ammo and PMAG 30 round magazines.
Good Luck and welcome to the black rifle disease.
My next build will be a Delton......... again.......once my garage is done (30x80) I will be having people come to the garage near Springfield, IL to have some build sessions so we can all learn together. There is a great video that helps with the build.  

height=8
Quoted:

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top