Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 1:18:25 PM EDT
well, it seems yesterday afternoon, i got the AR15 bug again, and now i need meds...

so here's my ideas.

first up, a plinker... RRA lower with nantional match trigger, Vltor stock. RRA M4 upper, with Surefire handguard, tangodown battlegrip,tangodown bipod, YHM flip up front sight gas block, might jsut use the standard A2 front sight, and rear sight. and a leupold 1.5-5 SPR scope, whatever the model of that thing is.

theres also this other thing i want for it, i saw it in feb 2006 of guns and weapons for law enforcement, its on the M4gery on the cover, and on it in the article "enhanced M4 .223", its a little rail on top, on it, it says "CASV-ELT VLTOR weapon systems, what can you tell me about this rail, where to get it, and what does it cost.

basically, im tyring to make a clone of that rifle, minus the laser device, but only rock river, instead of bushy.

how does this sounds? i also want to know, if i can get the first samco G27 grip in tan? also, by cutting the barrel to 14.5", and pinning a flash suppressor, does it loose any pressure for the gas sytem? also, between vortex, and phantom, which is the best?

second, will be a home defense rifle... this one the furniture will be all black, instead of the tan, like the other. once again RRA NM lower, with Vltor stock, RRA upper, 16" barrel, not the M4 one, chrome lined, jsut like the other, for added life... with a full length FF tube of some sort, not sure whether to get troy, DD, or larue? low profile gas block of some sort, what would you recommend for this? troy flip up front sight mounted on the rail, and troy rear sight. and ill use a surefire M910A, and a Eothingy.

also, what slings would you recommend? want to get something comfortable to use, especially for the "plinker" as i guess ill call it, becuase ill be carrying it around property alot, and will want something comfortable, to carry it across my chest, ready to rock and roll.

thanks, cory
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a look at this thread and make your decission if you want the RRA M4 upper with feedramps...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=267610
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#2]
so is this just on their M4 uppers? since im not going with a M4 upper for the home D gun, am i safe with it? ive had SEVERAL RRA uppers, and never sene anything like that, including the M4 i had.

so with the plinker, should i jsut get a LMT upper, and get a M4 barrel, and build off it?

cory
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#3]
RRA and Bushmaster uppers are good quality if they have the normal rifle barrel extension, without extended feedramps...

If you want an upper assembly with M4 feedramps, get one from a manufacturer that uses the proper parts for that particular build... LMT, CMT and COLT are a few of the manufacturers that do it right...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#4]
i onyl what the M4 barrel profile, i dont give a damn about feed ramps, to be honest, or is it THAT big of a deal? does it hurt functioning?

cory
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i onyl what the M4 barrel profile, i dont give a damn about feed ramps, to be honest, or is it THAT big of a deal? does it hurt functioning?

cory

If you don't want them? Be sure to request it that way when ordering from Bushmaster or RRA...

"is it THAT big of a deal"... No,  having feedramps isn't a big deal...

"does it hurt functioning"? If feedramps are done improperly, yes, it can cause problems...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#6]
ok, thanks man.

now can anybody enlighten me on my other q's?

cory
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i also want to know, if i can get the first samco G27 grip in tan? also, by cutting the barrel to 14.5", and pinning a flash suppressor, does it loose any pressure for the gas sytem? also, between vortex, and phantom, which is the best?

You got a lot of shit to sort through with that HUGE post...

Ive never seen or heard of the G-27 being available in tan color... Nice grip though, I use one on my tac AR...

What size barrel are you cutting down? Are you just referring to a barrel manufactured to be 14.5"? If your planning on just buying a 14.5" barrel and pinning on a muzzle device, you'll be OK, it will have the proper size gas port hole to accommodate the barrel's length...

From seeing both the Vortex and Phantom in action, Id have to say the Vortex is ever so slightly more efficient than the Phantom is... I personally use the Vortex on my tactical AR, regular A2 on the rest...

ETA: The Vortex is a bitch to pin and weld... Some folks just silver solder it on... The Phantom on the other hand isn't so bad pinning and welding...

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#8]
ok, is it legal to just solder the vortex on?

cory
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, but you'll have to use something like MAPP gas to heat with and then silver solder paste to fuse it to the barrel... You'll damn near have to heat the steel to cherry red for the silver solder to do its job...

ETA: You can't use regular ol plumbers solder... You need to use the proper type solder...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#10]
ok, i guess ill just buy a 14.5" threaded barrel, and send it to jered at patriot arms, and have him pin it for me.

i was jsut hoping to use my acetylene torch, with some sterling solder

but i guess that wont work.

its legal for me to posess a short BARREL ONLY, as long as its not installed on a upper, correct?

cory
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
ok, i guess ill just buy a 14.5" threaded barrel, and send it to jered at patriot arms, and have him pin it for me.

i was jsut hoping to use my acetylene torch, with some sterling solder

but i guess that wont work.

its legal for me to posess a short BARREL ONLY, as long as its not installed on a upper, correct?

cory

Oxy-acetylene will work, you just need the silver solder paste...

Yup, your legal with the short barrel, as long as its not built into a complete carbine...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#13]
aimless, i might look into that, but ive never had anything accept for the NM trigger, and a few jewell's, in AR's, and i can say i really like them, but in the plinker, im going to go with a NM, and i think thats the one im going to build first.

i might jsut order a LMT barreled upper, already pinned at 14.5"

cory
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#15]
ok aimless, thanks alot, ill take a look at it.

cory
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I would use an LMT or BCM (Bravo Company Mfg) upper for both builds.  That's because I prefer REAL feed ramps (don't actually give a shit about ramps, but if they're there, might as well be good), and I also prefer 1/7 to 1/9 like RRA offers.  Especially on a HD gun, that way I can use heavier rounds.  

Also, screw the NM trigger on the HD rifle.  I say get used to something else.  On second thought, I might be more inclined to use a factory built rifle in a HD situation...which sucks for me, since all my ARs are franken guns at the moment.  All the different ideas about using a stock vs. match trigger and a build vs. factory AR is so confusing...just Glock 'em.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#18]
AR15 barrels, i guess you sell ar15 barrels, so is it possible i can buy barrels strait from you? or maybe even the upper already assembled, or have you assemble it?

cory
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:25:02 AM EDT
[#20]
well, i came to a decision...

first rifle... LMT lower with RRA NM trigger, LMT M4 upper, standard A2 sight, CASV-EL tan forend, tangodown grip rail covers in tan, tan tangodown grip, tangodown bipod, ordering the upper 14.5" to have a phantom pinned, troy BUIS, larue SPR mount, leupold 1.5-5X20 illuminated SPR scope (until the NF 1-4X24 coems out) tan VLTOR stock, tan G27 grip, might go with a tan tangodown though.

second rifle... LMT lower with standard trigger, LMT MRP rifle length upper with 14.5" barrel and pinned phantom, tangodown grip rail panels, troy flip up fornt sight, troy rear sight, EOTECH 552, ARMS, or larue quick release mount, surefire M910A LMT SOPMOD stock, and G27 grip, all furniture black.

cory
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top