Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2003 9:39:33 PM EDT
Hey guys whats up?... I am looking for some guidance from you guys who have built and registered a non machinegun NFA weapon for civilian use. (short barreled AR with telescoping stock) If someone would be so kind as to walk me thru the process of application, forms needed and any useful info... I checked the ATF site but I could not find very much useful info... Thanks a ton guys...
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 2:35:56 AM EDT
[#1]
First, download a couple of Form 1's here. [url]http://www.titleii.com/pdf/NewF1.pdf[/url]

Next get two Fingerprint cards from the ATF or your favorite C3 dealer.

Go see your CLEO, normally the Sheriff, and get his signature. Get printed while you are there.

Get two photographs and attach them to the Form 1's with tape.

Just in case I'd download this [url]http://www.titleii.com/pdf/5330-20.pdf[/url] and send it along with the Form 1's. It is a statement that you are a US Citizen. You probably don't need it, but its a little insurance the process won't be held up any longer than it already is.

Take all that stuff put it in the mail with a personal check for $200 then wait about 4-6 months. With a check you will get it back from the bank and know when its been cashed. Also, when the ATF says they never received it you will have proof on hand, not the hassle of trying to get proof of a MO from the USPS

Note: Unless you are using a preban receiver you still can't add an adjustible stock, flash supressor, etc. You can build an SBR, but not an Assault Weapon. Go figure.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:59:54 AM EDT
[#2]
By the way, even if you SBR the rifle you still cannot put on a telescoping stock, NFA or not.  Even SBRs fall under the AWB as they are still considered "rifles."  Only if you drop in a registered sear making the "rifle" into a "machine gun" can you then put on the telescoping stock, flash suppressor, bayonet lug...    Doing so to an SBR makes an illegal semi-automatic assault weapon, at least until September 04.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 5:15:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
By the way, even if you SBR the rifle you still cannot put on a telescoping stock, NFA or not.  Even SBRs fall under the AWB as they are still considered "rifles."  Only if you drop in a registered sear making the "rifle" into a "machine gun" can you then put on the telescoping stock, flash suppressor, bayonet lug...    Doing so to an SBR makes an illegal semi-automatic assault weapon, at least until September 04.
View Quote

If I understand the process correctly, your statement above applies only if the lower used in the creation of a SBR is POST-BAN. If your making a SBR outta a PRE-BAN lower than you can have all the features of a PRE-BAN.

Is this correct or am I wrong?

Mike
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 5:30:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool thanks a ton guys... I guess I will be in the market for a preban lower within the next few months... One more quik question... I need to send in paperwork before starting the build correct and how long do I have to complete the build after the application is approved... The wife has inforced her own firearms ban here in my house...lol.. so this build will take me about 6-8 months... Money thing...lol...Thanks guys...
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#6]
jnewt:
Legally, you cannot start to build or modify your rifle untill you are approved by BATF. I believe in most cases that they prefer you not even posses the "parts" as a whole before being approved. Approval on Form 1's right now are running pretty slow. It may be a wait. In the mean-time you can be planning all that you want to add to your new toy. Have the wife buy you plenty of Shotgun News. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info c2builder... So my best bet is to just save up the funds and when I get approval from the ATF then pick up a preban lower and all the parts then build away...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top