Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2003 11:35:58 AM EDT
Hi,  I have ordered an Olympic arms stripped lower receiver and some time in the future I am planning on ordering a Olympic arms prc-4 kit ($440 or so).  The ar-15 I am looking to build is a 20'' barrel standard looking type.  The thing that is really appealing about the kit is that it would be the same maker as my lower and it has a lifetime warranty.  What do you guys and gals think of Olympic and the prc-4 kit (20" barrel, a2 sights, upper is already assembled head spaced and test fired)?  Is it an accurate and reliable rifle?  This will my first ar-15, and I dont want to be disappointed.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#1]
It's an AR, you won't be disappointed.  

Oly is a good rifle. I have one but I do like my J&T kit build better. Colt trigger is a bit smoother/lighter and rear stock and buffer seem to be bit better.

I wish I could be of more help for I just went down the same thought process.  I guess it really is up to what you want.  I don't resale and shoot, alot.  If we ever go to war on paper targets, I'll be hell on em.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, it just so happens that I picked up a stripped lower today to go with the PCR5(16") kit that I bought in November.  Put it together in about 2 1/2 hours. Had a blast doing it and not once did I launch any springs.  Might not be so lucky the next time.
I like the kit from Oly but it could use one inprovement.  A nice set of pictures and a simple step by step instruction sheet.
Now I just need to go out and try it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:09:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Yea, I enjoyed mine too.  My kid was my vise and it was a kind of bonding thing.  I would have taken my time and made it last but wanted to shoot the thing that night, NewYearsEve. It's kind of like a tradition to shoot your gun at midnight around this neck of the woods, plenty of hills and good backstops.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#4]
My son Jay & I did just that about 3 months ago.

Stripped forged lower receiver thru a local dealer and the complete PCR4 HBAR 20" upper kit with parts for the lower directly from OLY. It took about 2 hours to assemble the lower using the instructions on the AR15 archive site...

http://old.ar15.com/docs/assembly/lower

Assembly job was made easier using detent, pivot pin and roll pin punch tools from Brownells. We were impressed with the weapon right from the first... nice fit, finish and feel.

She has functioned and shot well with only one hitch, and that was human error re-assembling the hammer spring backwards after a disassembly/cleaning session, resulting in light primer strikes on 556 ammo next time at the range.

Uses USGI 20rd and 30rd surplus mags without problems, shoots Am Eagle and UMC 223 ammo without failure, and we are waiting for decent weather to test out 556 Federal XM193 and Win Q3131A, having corrected the hammer spring issue. Hits whatever we aim at.

Overall, Jay appears very pleased with the results. And OLY has a good reputation.

Good luck and good shooting.

Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  When I get he money I think I will go with the prc-4 kit, or if for some reason I cant get it I will get a simmiler kit from J&T.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top