Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2004 5:54:45 AM EST
I want to get into my first AR and I see that I have two options. My frst is to buy a complete BM and find a second upper for the enjoyment of a no ban A2 and a separate flat top free floater. I have a good friend with an FFl who would charge me wholesale for a complete new BM (about $700). My second option is to prove my mechanical ability and save money by building an AR from a JT kit. I have reseervations about the kit route, my FFl friend and other sellers of complete rifles have warned me that kit rifles may come with inferior parts (I realize that they may just trying to move what units they have on shelf). I am also concerened about building a rifle that does not work or shoot well. What advice can I gather here?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:07:40 AM EST
Buy one new first. You are getting a good price. Shoot it and learn how it operates then start putting some lowers together and go from there,
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:09:24 AM EST
It is really a personal decision, but if you are at all mechanically inclined, then assemblying a lower is simple and most kits have the upper completely assembled. You also save on paying the Federal Exise Tax by not buying a complete rifle.

If you are worried about inferior parts (however, I don't think many have had problems with JT), you could put together a kit from one of the bigger names (Bushmaster, RRA). You could get a complete upper from the equipment exchange and then get a lower/lower parts kit/stock assembly from a dealer.

But then again, $700 is a pretty good price for a bushie.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:24:07 AM EST
That is a good price on the Bushmaster. You should probably go for it.

On the other hand if you shop carefully you will get quality parts. I'm finishing up a new build right now. I have the following parts:

Mega lower with Rock River Arms lower parts kit - A2 grip
Mega flat top upper that I literally just finished barreling
Model 1 16" M4 profile chrome barrel 1 in 9
Bushmaster bolt and bolt carrier
M4 grips
A2 Stock.

Aside from the fact that I launched the rear takedown detent spring across the room and lost it; I've had no problems what so ever putting this rifle together. It s a very nice looking evil little black rifle and I'm always going to feel a tremendous amount of pride knowing that every piece on it was put together by myself. Can't wait to get out and shoot it. If you can change the oil in your car you can build an AR. Actually changing oil is probably harder, especially if you cross thread the drain plug or forget to fill it back up.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:25:43 AM EST
If I do go the kit route, does JT offer a chrome lined 20" govt profile no ban A2 upper? Would they have an upper similar to the BM V-match for my "ranch uses"?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:57:25 AM EST
I had the same problem and decided to build the lower and buy the upper. Let's see, all prices include shipping $50 for used Bushmaster A2 stock, buffer, bufferspring & trapdoor. $332 for Used Bushmaster A2 Upper with around 700 rnds through it, Chrome lined, inc bolt, Carrier & Charging handle. $60 for Rock river Lower parts kit. And $150 plus transfer for Compass Lake Engineering Lower receiver. The CLE Lower is machined to minimum tollerences and I had to fit the upper rear lug to the lower receiver with 6 strokes of a file.

I now have an A2 That Doesn't Rattle, for a total of $592 + transfer.

I started and finished the lower in around 30 minutes right before responding to this post. And was much funner and more satisfying than buying one.

I chose not to build the upper due to cost and still having a wife in the hospital with our first child. This A2 is her birthday present. I'll just take care if it for a little whileh,
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:07:37 AM EST
Renegade,

Congrats on your new baby! Oh, and your new child, too...
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:07:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2004 10:10:18 AM EST by KBL]
Wasn't there an old Flintstones or Honeymooners show where Fred (or Ralph) bought his wife a bowling ball for a present, knowing that she wouldn't like it or use it? And so then Fred (or Ralph) ended up using it as he had planned all along? Fred (or Ralph) knew he'd never get that new AR-15, er, bowling ball past Wilma (or Alice) so he hatched this scheme....

Sound familiar?

Congratulations on the new addition to the family Renegade...
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:10:36 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2004 10:12:16 AM EST by MT_Pockets]
Purchasing Complete can actually save you $$$ and sometimes headache.

Building is entertaining and educational.

MT
Top Top