Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 1:48:30 PM EDT
So,

I thought I was really rolling, got all the parts together, and I cannot get the bolt all the way back, it sticks in the buffer tube.  If I unscrew the tube I can get it out, it is only slightly out of alignment.

Is there such a thing as an oversized buffer tube??
The only option I can think of is to drill it out and JB weld a tube in, but is there some other fix?

thank you

Richard
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never used JB,  but had some customers do that  they said they had no problems ? your call
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#2]
That'll work and is probably the easiest to do.

Another option, if you have the equipment/experience and enough material remaining on the tower, is to drill out the threads, and make an insert threaded for the buffer tube.  If you know a machinist, he could make one for you. If you have enough material around the hole, use a threaded insert. If not, JBWeld the insert in place. This is probably the best solution.

Another solution is to find an experienced aluminum welder and weld up the threads inside the tower, re-drill and re-tap.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Grind  or lathe turn the rear O.D. of the carrier down. The only place it makes contact with the upper receiver is on the flats by the gas key and on the two flats on the bottom of the carrier for the first couple of inches. Easiest fix.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top