Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 7:24:32 AM EDT
Just picked up a CAR stock and need to remove the factory buffer tube. I have the requisite tool, but need to know the correct and safe way of removing. It seems to me a bench vise is in order, but does Colt epoxy the tube like I have read Bushmaster does? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:36:53 AM EDT
[#1]
1st check to see if it is staked.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Huh? I've never heard of a buffer toobe being staked on.

You'll just have to muscle it off in any case.  So get to it!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:48:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Colt stakes the receiver plate to the castle nut to ensure the castle nut can't back off.

Bushmaster doesn't epoxy there extensions to the receiver.  Epoxy, for all intents and purposes, is permanent.  That's a silly internet myth.

Some companies have been known to Loctite the extensions, but Bushmaster's not one, AFAIK.  If you're worried about at all, apply some heat to it before you attempt to remove it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:57:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Colt stakes the receiver plate to the castle nut to ensure the castle nut can't back off.

Bushmaster doesn't epoxy there extensions to the receiver.  Epoxy, for all intents and purposes, is permanent.  That's a silly internet myth.

Some companies have been known to Loctite the extensions, but Bushmaster's not one, AFAIK.  If you're worried about at all, apply some heat to it before you attempt to remove it.

Tks, mongo001, I didn't say it just right, but the the castle nut is staked on some Colt models.

Sniper 46 - I forgot to say WELCOME TO ARFCOM!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

True!  But he's asking about the regular buffer t00b.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:34:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tks, mongo001, I didn't say it just right, but the the castle nut is staked on some Colt models.

Sniper 46 - I forgot to say WELCOME TO ARFCOM!hr
Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I have the receiver in front of me and I can not see that the tube is staked. I just appears to be screwed in.  I figured that brute force would be necessary, I just wanted to make sure there weren't any suprises. Sorry about the internet myth part with regards to Bushmaster. I read it here, doesn't that make it true? Anyhoo, I hope to get this removed and the CAR stock on this weekend. I have always like the CAR set-up.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:16:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True!  But he's asking about the regular buffer t00b.

I mentioned staking because you did first.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh? I've never heard of a buffer toobe being staked on.

You'll just have to muscle it off in any case.  So get to it!

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Im having the same problem except with my bushmaster lower, i want to install my CAR stock but the screw to remove the A2 stock feels like it is cemented in....is this normal?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
having

I've had the "pleasure" of removing the fixed stocks from 3 Bushmaster lowers myself, on rifles dating back to mid-99.  In all three cases it looked as though something like "Loctite Red" was applied to keep the screw from backing out.  And yes, they can be pretty darn tight and feel almost impossible to remove with just a plain screwdriver.

In all three situations I used a large screwdriver that happened to fit the screw perfectly.  Don't use an undersized driver head for this!  You'll only damage the screw.  The screwdriver I happen to use for this has a square shaft, so I just found the appropriately sized box wrench and used it for leverage.  This is accomplished by just putting the lower receiver between my legs when I'm seated, firm downward pressure on the screwdriver, and the open wrench for the actual loosening.  Just 3 inches of leverage is all that is needed to easily remove the screws.

Once the screw is removed slide off the stock and you'll find a plastic or nylon spacer inside that fits like a buffer tube extension (it might be inside the stock or it might slide out).  I'm sure this was a "fix" for the longer A2 buttstocks. Then just take a wrench (3/4" I think) to the end of the buffer tube to remove it.  Just remember that when you remove the buttstock, the spring that holds the rear pin is going to be exposed, so don't lose it!  The small pin that holds the rear pin secure may also fall out so keep an eye out for it.

Once you break the buffer tube loose, be aware that if you unscrew it too far the pin that holds the buffer and spring will also be exposed and might shoot out.  Make sure that you mind that pin and spring as well.  Oh yea, it's a good idea to remove the buffer and buffer spring before breaking the tube loose to begin with.

I've said too much.  In any case, good luck!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for answering my question nechronius, it means alot when sum1 takes the time and gives a thorough answer, ill have to get a better screwdriver and then try again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top