Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/8/2003 6:29:11 PM EDT
I've done a couple of searches, and found nothing on this subject. I just got rid of the 17S and got a shorty Bushmaster AR. Bang-boing Bang-boing. I can live with it if I have too, but if anyone has a solution I'd really appreciate it. Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#1]
buy a Tubb spring
I think they have them at
[url]http://www.sinclairintl.com/[/url]

he new Speedlock AR-15 Buffer Spring is designed to reduce the pulse andoverrun (that annoying "boing" or "twang") from your rifle, producing a smoother recoil cycle with less rifle movement. This spring is designed by 8-time national highpower champion David Tubb and carries the guaranteed 9002 quality control standards approval. It’s precise construction is unaffected by rapid fire heat and enhances the function improving life of the part. The spring has been duty rated for 500,000 cycle, which will function consistently for the life of your rifle. Designed for AR-15 use only
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The boing is the sweet music of the AR.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Bang then Boing, what more could you ask for[D:]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#4]
You could always send me that Bushy and try a bolt action rifle... [;)]

It's the sound of a happy AR, Stoner's built in magazine change indicator...
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Dip it in KY Jelly... [:D]

Seriously, I like my boings, but my Cav lower was really loud, so I lightly greased (not oiled - but "axle grease" greased the spring - no more boing [:(]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Look [url=http://www.olyarms.com/usa.html]here [/url]go to accesories page and scroll about half way down. The Oly Pneumatic buffer. It's how I got rid of the sproing sound.

No reliability issues since installing it AT ALL. Works like a champ.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#7]
usma89: You've tried this spring? It helped? Let me know.
DarkStar: It's in the mail... No really
Xanadu: I was thinking of trying something like that... or maybe some silicone tubing in strategic locations.
Everyone: Thanks for the input, any more ideas are appreciated. A little boing wont cause me to lose sleep, just curious if there was a fix.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Wear hearing protection.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Live with it, it is part of the AR experience.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Slash: With the AK brake on the end of the 14.5" barrel it hurts not to (wear hearing protection). I can still feel / hear the boing as my jawbone and ear are basically right on top of the buffer. I fired the M17 a couple of times without plugs in, and it wasn't too bad. Made that mistake ONCE with the new girl. Made me dizzy, caused severe pain in my left ear, and I almost dropped the rifle. I'm still not sure I've gotten all of the hearing back on the left side.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I like my SPRONG.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I cannot emphasize enough that you wear hearing and eye protection while engaging in shooting sports. Loss of sight and/or hearing is not a fun way to go through life. No excuses!
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
buy a Tubb spring
I think they have them at
[url]http://www.sinclairintl.com/[/url]

he new Speedlock AR-15 Buffer Spring is designed to reduce the pulse andoverrun (that annoying "boing" or "twang") from your rifle, producing a smoother recoil cycle with less rifle movement. This spring is designed by 8-time national highpower champion David Tubb and carries the guaranteed 9002 quality control standards approval. It’s precise construction is unaffected by rapid fire heat and enhances the function improving life of the part. The spring has been duty rated for 500,000 cycle, which will function consistently for the life of your rifle. Designed for AR-15 use only
View Quote

I second the motion. It worked for me too.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#14]

If it really bothers you, you can call Bushmaster and order one of there de-boingers. They don't catalog these, so you have to call and ask about them. I have two and they really work.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#15]
When I detail the carbines I just lube the springs as normal.  Lightly!  reduces "boing" a bit but not altogether.  I LIKE IT!  Allows me to remember how simply effective the weapon design is!
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 2:00:20 AM EDT
[#16]
My 870 makes this annoying "Cha-CHUNK" noise too...
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 4:31:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm so hard of hearing that I don't hear the boing. Wish I could. Although I do hear the loud report. I ain't that hard of hearing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 4:32:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Seriously, is there anything better than a nice SP1 or Gov't barrel A2 and listening to that spring under your cheek and hearing spent brass bounce of concrete? [:D]

I get wood.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:17:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Ya know... you'd think I asked how to get rid of the "annoying click noise" when I released the trigger after a shot. Bunch of comedians in here, I tell you! [nana]
Having not fired an AR since I was 16ish, but having fired other semis, I wasn't expecting the spring noise.
I may try the spring, It doesn't annoy me enough to go with the pneumatic buffer though, HighStrung1: yeah stupid hurts,
tlnzz: if you aren't attempting to make a joke (tough to tell tone on the boards sometimes) do you have a part number or a description you can share? I'm NOT actually going to call bushmaster and ask for a deboinger, but...
Lumpy196: My fave is watching the barrel on my "Browning pat" Savage shotgun slide back into the breach as the gun cycles. It makes all kinds of cool kachunk noises, and it's fun to watch... It ain't worth $50 but it's fun to make noise with (brings a real smile to my face just thinking about shooting it). I haven't (quite) fallen in love with my AR yet, but it is fun, and well we'll see.

Thank you all once again!
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:27:47 AM EDT
[#20]

M17sGuy

Part # is DE-BOING-ER. Of coarse I was joking a little. I hope you were not offended. If you were, I apologize. Can't take the internet and the people on it too seriously. Ya know.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:53:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Deboinger........[LOL]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:59:09 AM EDT
[#22]
tlnzz: I had hoped that you weren't serious, you just never can tell though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 8:07:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Slash: With the AK brake on the end of the 14.5" barrel it hurts not to (wear hearing protection). I can still feel / hear the boing as my jawbone and ear are basically right on top of the buffer. I fired the M17 a couple of times without plugs in, and it wasn't too bad. Made that mistake ONCE with the new girl. Made me dizzy, caused severe pain in my left ear, and I almost dropped the rifle. I'm still not sure I've gotten all of the hearing back on the left side.
View Quote

If you want to get rid of the sprong noise keep shooting it without hearing protection!  In no time you won't be able to hear that annoying sprong or that annoying bang the AR makes.  Seriously though I wear earplugs plus muffs when I shoot.  It's so damn quite that all I can hear is the action cycling and the sprong.  The report is hardly heard.  I value my hearing and eyes too much to lose them.  Without them what fun would shooting be anyway?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#24]
i love the Sproing!
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Axle grease has stopped the boing in my rifles for basically no cost and I have not heard anyone speak out against it yet.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I agree w/ gordonm1, I bought a tube of white Lithium grease @ Napa for $2.00 & put it on the plunger & spring & as deep into the tube as i could reach.What a change. Really slickens the feel of action up too. My buddy noticed the difference in sound from about 20' away. No BOING here !!!!

.........Paul
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Deboinger........[LOL]
View Quote

LOL...we have a new word for "coyote ugly"[naughty]
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
usma89: You've tried this spring? It helped? Let me know.

View Quote

I bought one, expensive, but it worked.  I do not mind the boing, but I was shooting comp for a while and needed faster follow ups.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top