Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2003 11:41:42 AM EDT
my retainer somehow came lose a got caught in my bolt carrier. Yesterday on a different gun it happened again. It or I worked into the lower and I had to completely disassemble the lower to get it out. I asked my son about it and said he had never seen that happen before. He is an armer with the 3/7 cavalry. He suggested some blue loctite on the retainer.
Has this ever happened to you? What can be done to keep this from happening again?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The buffer detent and spring are held in place by the receiver extension and blue loctite isn't going to do much of anything for you.  The extension extends over the shoulder of the detent keeping it in place.

Was the detent damaged?  Were you able to simply reinsert the spring and detent into the receiver?  You should have had to back out the receiver extension enough to clear the hole to install the detent/spring.  If it drops back into place without backing out your extension either your receiver extension is loose or short on the threaded end.  Edited to add:  Another thought: It can also be possible to have an out of spec lower with the detent/spring hole improperly drilled... who's the manufacturer of the lower?

In some cases the buffer rests directly on the detent and spring instead of the back of the bolt carrier with the upper and lower closed.  As the rifle is closed the rear of the carrier pushes on the buffer allowing it to clear the detent but if this isn't the case the detent will take a pounding and the face of the buffer will show heavy chipping and wear.

You may want to post this in the Troubleshooting section so ARFcom's resident AR guru's can assist you if you find the buffer is resting on the detent with the halves closed...

[img]www.ar15.com/content/parts/lowerReceiver.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
In both cases I had to back out the extension tube to clear the carrier. The extension tube is supposed to be screwed in until it stops at the retainer. I may have had to back it out apartial turn in order to have the stock positioned correctly.

The retainer must need to have some up/down movement or the retainer would be a fixed postion post.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]

The buffer detent does need to be spring loaded or you couldn't remove or replace the buffer and buffer spring.  

The -23 calls for the extension to be tightened to 35-39 ft.lbs.  If you're contacting the detent before the extension is tight the tube could be a bit long in the threaded area...
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Oooh thats right. I did not know they should be tightened to that torque. I still don't see how it can become dis-lodged as either the carrier or the buffer should be over it all the time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]

The only thing actually holding the detent/spring in place is the edge of the extension over the shoulder of the detent.  With the exception of once, every time I've seen a detent come out it was due to the extension backing out of the receiver.  The other time was an American Spirit lower with the detent hole drilled oblong allowing the detent to slip out under firing...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top