Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2003 7:54:44 AM EDT
Does anyone know a good(cheap0 source for the buffer hole tap for an 80% lower?  The cheapest I can find is 49.99.  Just trying to save myself some money, I've already blown a fortune on this project as it is. Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't forget the cost of the tap handle.  There's no way to turn this beast of a tap with a wrench and keeping the threads straight.
A cheap workable solution is to file off the buffer tube threads and expoxy or JB Weld the tube to the lower.  And a screw coming in thru the top is additional insurance.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#2]
check ebay.i've seen several of them sell for under $30
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#3]
As for turning the tap, could I just put a large socket on it with a T handle attached. If the socket is too loose, what about putting a few small tac welds on the edges?  
I'll put some more thought into permanently attaching the buffer tube....  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Just buy a tap, use it, then sell it on ebay.  You can probably end up with less than 15 bucks out of pocket.

I do this whenever I need an oddball tool and can not rent it.  

Another option is to find a fellow builder, and have a tapping party.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#5]
www.jlindustrial.com

a machinist friend of mine gave them the nod for affordable machine tools.  I just got their catelog and should be ordering soon , so i can't give input on their service.  my friend said they were good to deal with.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top