Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 12/30/2003 7:54:44 AM EDT
Does anyone know a good(cheap0 source for the buffer hole tap for an 80% lower?  The cheapest I can find is 49.99.  Just trying to save myself some money, I've already blown a fortune on this project as it is. Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:09:22 AM EDT
Don't forget the cost of the tap handle.  There's no way to turn this beast of a tap with a wrench and keeping the threads straight.
A cheap workable solution is to file off the buffer tube threads and expoxy or JB Weld the tube to the lower.  And a screw coming in thru the top is additional insurance.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:36:00 PM EDT
check ebay.i've seen several of them sell for under $30
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:40:12 PM EDT
As for turning the tap, could I just put a large socket on it with a T handle attached. If the socket is too loose, what about putting a few small tac welds on the edges?  
I'll put some more thought into permanently attaching the buffer tube....  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:46:29 PM EDT
Just buy a tap, use it, then sell it on ebay.  You can probably end up with less than 15 bucks out of pocket.

I do this whenever I need an oddball tool and can not rent it.  

Another option is to find a fellow builder, and have a tapping party.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:44:37 PM EDT
www.jlindustrial.com

a machinist friend of mine gave them the nod for affordable machine tools.  I just got their catelog and should be ordering soon , so i can't give input on their service.  my friend said they were good to deal with.
Top Top