Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 6:57:24 PM EDT
I know this is likely purely cosmetic, but it looks like crap and should not be happening at all (which bothers me).   Anyone tried V-notching the buffer where the retainer would hit so at least the retainer is trapped in one spot ( not making ugly all the way around the buffer).  Maybe thinning the retainer plunger?  

Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm willing to put money down that says that the buffer works its way around while the carrier comes back while shooting.

I highly doubt it would stay in the groove for more than a couple rounds.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm willing to put money down that says that the buffer works its way around while the carrier comes back.

I highly doubt it would stay in the groove for more than a couple rounds.

WIZZO

+1
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:05:59 PM EDT
[#3]
roa,

Look here, someone else with the same trouble.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=246539

Rick
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#4]
What? Unless you buffer is made out of chinese pot metal or your carrier has unfinished sharp edges, any dings will be very minor and are normal.

What is the rifle or what parts is it made of. Cheap parts can do this sometimes. Here is a Hesse Arms lower and buffer to illustrate my point.

ETA If you see this kind of wear you have a serious problem.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#6]
A common ding on the buffer is from the back of the carrier.  The notch on the bottom of the carrier for the retainer can leave some sharp corners of the end that scrape the buffer when pivoting on the forward pin.

A little stoning of the sharp corner will solve this.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:49:33 AM EDT
[#7]

What? Unless you buffer is made out of chinese pot metal or your carrier has unfinished sharp edges, any dings will be very minor and are normal.

There are incorrectly made lowers out there made so that the buffer mades hard contact with the buffer retainer pin and damages the buffer. They are few and far between though  and it is more likely a burr  on the carrier or some other cause.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:05:09 AM EDT
[#8]
lemme guess... you've got one of them velcro pads on your brass deflector too...

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:07:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with Tweak. Over time, a properly fitted buffer/pin combo might show a little wear of the finish, but you really shouldn't have any dings.  You might also get a smear on the very middle of the buffer face, from it's slight contact w/the rear bottom edge of the carrier as the action is closed, but again, that shouldn't be a gouge.

Interestingly, the buffer face on my 1978 purchased Colt SP1 carbine, with thousands upon thousands of rounds through it, shows less wear on the face than any of the aftermarket pieces at my house.  The surface finish looks the same, but apparently is a lot more durable.  Ditto for the surplus A1 buffer than came with the stock assy I got from CDNN.  That one only has a few hundred rounds at this point,, but the DPMS piece in another rifle has only 100 or so more rounds, and the finish is really worn.

Don't know if the finish on current Colt pieces is the same as they used to use, but the old timer Colt buffers I have sure beat the tar out of the commercial buffers I've seen for durability of finish.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
roa,

Look here, someone else with the same trouble.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=246539

Rick

NO. NOT the same issue.

My buffer was being worn by the carrier itself, not the retainer. The retainer issue is more serious, as it can eventually lead to the buffer being peened out so much on its edges that it can no longer move inside the tube.

Go read and search in the Troubleshooting forum, and read the FAQ on this issue in the Troubleshooting forum.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top