Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/22/2005 4:36:30 PM EDT
I think that Santa will be dropping me off a Bushmaster 9mm pistol. I know from holding this model that it could be a few inches longer at the buffer tube, in order to fit me ( 6'1") comfortably while shooting in a two handed(one fore & one aft) stable firing position / mount. The pistol will be great fun, I do not want to put a butt stock on it and go the SBR route. I just want to extend the buffer tube a little.

My question, and I'm sure I'll get differing answers. Is it still a pistol with a longer buffer tube?

Wouldn't be cool if your tac vest had a shallow cup on the upper shoulder that fit the buffer tube into it?
(Who ever starts production of these, buy me a beer some day for giving you the great idea)

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Wouldn't be cool if your tac vest had a shallow cup on the upper shoulder that fit the buffer tube into it?
(Who ever starts production of these, buy me a beer some day for giving you the great idea)

someone already did, and it was a total flop.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#2]
i am pretty sure touching the buffer tube to your shoulder while using the "pistol" makes you a felon and eligible for buggery in a federal institution.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:56:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i am pretty sure touching the buffer tube to your shoulder while using the "pistol" makes you a felon and eligible for buggery in a federal institution.

Why would the way you hold your pistol make you a felon?
So every time i bump fire my M4 from my hip i am magicaly changing it to sub-gun ? Or if i hold my M4 off my shoulder and fire it , it becomes a pistol? This don't make sence to me? I have seen lots of pictures on this very web site of guys holding their pistol to their shoulders as long it has no buttstock on it.
Please let me know where you got this infromation and send me a copy so i can go to our local range and start arresting people and taking their guns from them. I need some new guns.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:57:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Just use a CAR buffer tube or if you want to go even longer, a tube from a regular rifle.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#5]
quote:
So every time i bump fire my M4 from my hip i am magicaly changing it to sub-gun ? Or if i hold my M4 off my shoulder and fire it , it becomes a pistol? This don't make sence to me? I have seen lots of pictures on this very web site of guys holding their pistol to their shoulders as long it has no buttstock on it.
Please let me know where you got this infromation and send me a copy so i can go to our local range and start arresting people and taking their guns from them. I need some new guns.

From 27CFR on the BATFE website:
Pistol. A weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a
projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and
having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently
aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped
by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the
bore(s).

Rifle. A weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended
to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or
remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire
only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of
the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily
restored to fire a fixed cartridge.

If I am wrong, please correct me quickly!
I am fairly certain that when you put the pistol up against your shoulder, you are using it as a Short Barrel Rifle. By your action, you have shown it is now "intended" to be shoulder fired, but does not meet the 16" minimum barrel length for a rifle.
This pistol definition is also why you may not put a vertical foregrip on your AR pistol.
Unless you have paid the taxes to have a SBR and registered your pistol as such, you can be charged with an NFA violation.  
You are allowed to use a rifle off the shoulder.  It is still "intended" to be up against the shoulder by its design.

I believe T/C had to go to court over the interpretations of these definitions and SBR laws concerning the Contender pistol and the carbine conversion they offered for it.

As a note, anyone who posts a picture of themselves firing a pistol using an "improvised" shoulder stock is making a serious mistake, as they are providing evidence of a fedral crime.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:12:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
quote:

(boring rehash of spurious argument snipped)

Believe what you want , we'll still shoot our AR pistols the way we want to.

Now go iron your underwear.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Just for that I am going to go to the range tomorrow and hold my CZ75 against my shoulder while i shoot it. Then I'll have one sweet-ass SBR!!!!!!

Besides, don't most guys just squish their cheek against the buffer tube anyway? not actually "shoulder" it?
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top