Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 6/14/2003 10:01:10 AM EST
Hi All,
I've acquired an Oly Arms PCR-5 (really cheap)that needs some work. The rifle fell off a tool box on a pick-up truck - while said truck was moving - and has a number of parts that need replacement. Most notibly is the A2 stock. That's no big deal, except the stock was broken and the buffer tube was bent. After disassembly, it's clear the stock wrenches available from various catalogs won't work for removal of the tube as there is no slot for the ear on the tool to fit into so you could turn the tube. I have a friend who says he can straighten out the tube but needs it off the lower to take into work. Since I have very limited "gunsmithing" experience, could someone offer a suggestion as to what might work (short of a pipe wrench - ouch!!) to remove the buffer tube without doing any more damage to the
tube - and without damaging the lower receiver?

Thanks in Advance
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:18:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2003 10:26:29 AM EST by DarkStar]
A new buffer tube is inexpensive <$20> and I personally wouldn't try and straighten out the old one. Visit [url]www.bushmaster.com[/url] all the parts you may need are available online. The end of the buffer tube is designed for use with an armorer's wrench, but you can use a simple adjustable wrench in a pinch... You can purchase an action clamp or vice block or you can CAREFULLY use a vice with the lower properly protected from damage or I've been able to remove the buffer tubes on some rifles by simply having a buddy hold the lower and spin it off with an armorer's wrench. With the buffer already trashed, I'd just grab the end of it with a 5/8" open or an adjustable wrench and spin it off then go from there... If the buffer tube has a rounded end use channelocks... the replacement from Bushy will be designed for use with an armorer's wrench or adjustable wrench... edited for spelling...
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:19:15 AM EST
5/8" open end wrench fits mine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:36:10 AM EST
Thanks guys - I appreciate the help... Possum Slurppies for everyone - on me!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:55:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/18/2003 7:56:20 AM EST by Slacker]
No one cautioned him to remove the buffer retaining pin and spring before unscrewing the buffer tube! Ya'll pulled the same thing with me...mine flew out and went under the refridgerator!! FWIW, I used a plain ole' adjustable wrench and some moly grease to install mine last night.
Top Top