Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/11/2005 9:32:40 PM EDT
I was at Camp Perry recently and had to take SAFS ( rifle ). I noticed that the old, rattletrap FNMI M-16A2 I was using had NO buffer spring rattle when I released the bolt. The carrier slid forward and clicked/clacked/locked right into place.

Now with an Eagle Arms M15A2 I saw over there in the hands of a High Master, I heard none, just a solid action....

But with my Colt 20" 6601-type, I have an insane amount of it when I close the bolt...

Is it because one has an M-16 carrier and the other doesn't? Maybe the buffer springs in the FNMI and Eagle Arms rifle are longer/stronger?

How can this be? What causes it to rattle so much/little?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:52:22 AM EDT
Spring noise...hmm. I noticed several of my guns have it more severely than others. Last weekend I was shooting my 16" HB and noticed the spring was real loud. If I lifted my head off the stock, I couldn't hear it at all....go figure. Use the search feature and you will see lots of info about this. I like the sound, and it let's you know everything is working ok.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:21:37 AM EDT
Hmm... did a search, ended up with results for the Wolff extra power buffer sping ( more thrust per squeeze? ).

BTT.

Do we have any more users of this buffer spring? How do you like it?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:24:10 AM EDT
I would be more worried about a weapon that DIDN'T make a sproing, fr00t l00ps!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:37:15 AM EDT
Can't say the same applies to me, it only bothers me when I'm single loading cartridges for slow-fire stages. When I fire in the rapids, I find too much of the noise annoying, and kind of distracting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:40:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Blackjack272:
I was at Camp Perry recently and had to take SAFS ( rifle ). I noticed that the old, rattletrap FNMI M-16A2 I was using had NO buffer spring rattle when I released the bolt. The carrier slid forward and clicked/clacked/locked right into place.

Now with an Eagle Arms M15A2 I saw over there in the hands of a High Master, I heard none, just a solid action....

But with my Colt 20" 6601-type, I have an insane amount of it when I close the bolt...

Is it because one has an M-16 carrier and the other doesn't? Maybe the buffer springs in the FNMI and Eagle Arms rifle are longer/stronger?

I saw a gunsmith put moly grease on the spring , poof no more noise
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:14:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 12:15:07 PM EDT by Kisara]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:43:02 PM EDT
Thank you Gray, and Obi-Wan.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:51:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By graywolf:

Originally Posted By Blackjack272:

I saw a gunsmith put moly grease on the spring , poof no more noise

Yessir. I just dab a little wheel bearing grease on the buffer & spring and like you said, POOF! No noise. I do that with all my AR15's.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:55:54 PM EDT
My buffer doesn't "sproing" as much as my buddy's SP1, but it does occassionaly have a
delayed resonance...more of a quick "hum" for about 1 sec. But this is more pronounced
when the earmuffs are contacting the stock/tube.

my .02
Top Top