Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2013 6:11:02 AM EDT
I just finished building my first AR. I am looking to finish it with a red dot and possible a 3x magnifier as well. I'm looking for some suggestions on a quality budget optics. I shoot 1-2x a month, I'm not invading a small country nor being airdropped. Just looking for a decent budget friendly option for a weekend shooter. Any suggestions appreciated. If your going to insult or attack me please don't bother responding. Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:22:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Check primary arms.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:26:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check primary arms.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:28:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Check primary arms.
View Quote

That, or a Bushnell TRS-25.  Add a UTG riser if you get the TRS-25, or a Primary Arms riser of you get one of their Micro Dots.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Bushnell TRS-25 is my preferred budget red dot.        

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for Primary Arms.  I just picked up the $69 dollar blemished version of this red dot for each of my tacticool .22s.  Quality is good, knobs are tight, glass is clear and they look to be solid enough for a real rifle caliber.  My only complaint is that one of them was switched on during packing or transit so I have to buy a new battery (first world problems), but that;s it.  Comes with a riser for co-witness and they've got magnifiers that I think I'll pick up next paycheck just to make the .22s step out a little more.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:54:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I got a Vortex Strikefire when it went on sale at PSA.  It is good quality, and includes a magnifier if you choose to use it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#7]
And another vote for Primary Arms.  I've got one of their multi reticle red dots and couldn't be happier.  I'm like you, I get out and shoot when I can, usually once a month or so, so I couldn't justify buying an aimpoint or eotech.  I can't speak for the Primary Arms magnifier, but I also plan on getting one of those soon...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Bushnell is what i have
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Very budget Primary Arms gets my vote also if you have just a bit more to spend Vortex Strikefire is my favorite choice and it comes with a VERY simple 2x magnifier and riser. The Primary also comes with a VERY nice mount also both are very hard to beat at their cost, you will not be disappointed by either.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#10]
The Bushnell recommended above is also sold by Primary Arms, so you can compare those on their site. I'm presuming a bit over $350 ($370ish) is out of the budget range you speak of, but if it's not, that's about where the great Aimpoint PRO sells on sale. Waiting for a sale can be a pain (I paid a bit over $400 for mine), but they happen regularly.

Been debating the whole budget thing myself, I really want an Aimpoint T1 for my pistol ($600+) but have been considering either the Primary Arms Micro or the Bushnell mentioned above as a stop gap/temporary fix. Just can't swing the Aimpoint right now (trying to outfit too many ARs at one time, I do have the PRO and an Eotech, but those are already mounted on other builds).
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I decided to go with either the Lucid HD7 Gen3 or M7. Liked them much more than the Vortex Strikefire or Sparc.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#12]
You should decide you really want a budget RDS along with a budget magnifier...then add up the price of both plus mounts.  Then; realize you can get an Aimpoint PRO for the same or just a little more...and get that!

The Aimpoint PRO has a battery life of 3 years always on, is super tough, comes with a mount, and is great from CQB out to 300m.  I have shot expert 3 times in a row on the Army rifle qual (50-300m) with an M4 and old Aimpoint M68 (like the PRO, only 1/3d the battery life).  Sure, I shot expert more often than not with the irons, but I had to really work for it.  With the dot, I can do it every time, in the wind and rain, blah, blah.  They are outstanding sights...if I only had 1 AR, and was on a budget, I'd save up for the PRO.

A good second option would be to get an entry level RDS now, save up for the PRO or H1 in a couple years, then put the budget RDS on a .22 or something.  I'd skip the magnifier and put that $ towards something else, like a good sling and light.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want an Aimpoint Pro
Go to AZ Armament
Aimpoint Pros for $363.00 with code PROsave

Rich is a very good to go guy and shipped fast for me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:50:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Sportsmans Guide has Eotech 512.A65 for $339...also a good option for mid priced optics.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:18:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely look into the ones mentioned. A guy I know mentioned sightmark. Any opinions on them. I would like the eotech. I have one of their flashlight integrated forends on my shotgun and love it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:45:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I would skip sightmark.  IMO the TRS-25 is the best budget option.  If you are going to spend more than $89 or so that the TRS-25 costs then its time to move up to an Aimpoint.  I personally own the TRS-25 along with the Aimpoint M2, Aimpoint M3, Eotech 552 and Vortex Strikefire.  I've also used the primary arms M2/M3 clone and the primary arms micro.  In my experience the PA micro is brighter than the M2/M3 clone.  In the future I'll buy more TRS-25's, if I'm spending more I'll probably get another aimpoint.        

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:38:45 AM EDT
[#17]
If you are looking for bargain basement...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DYHY54/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this and it is holding up well and has held zero very well.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:15:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks again guys. I guess I should have specified I prefer the eotech style as opposed to a scope type of optic. I think I'll go with the Eotech 512. I went to sportsmans guide and it was listed at 400+. Anyone know of where they may be a little cheaper?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:32:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Amazon has the Lucid HD7 on for $189.  It's free shipping if you have a Prime account.  I think it's a good enough unit that (at that price) even though don't currently have gun that needs a scope, I ordered one anyway.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:43:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would skip sightmark.  IMO the TRS-25 is the best budget option.  If you are going to spend more than $89 or so that the TRS-25 costs then its time to move up to an Aimpoint.  I personally own the TRS-25 along with the Aimpoint M2, Aimpoint M3, Eotech 552 and Vortex Strikefire.  I've also used the primary arms M2/M3 clone and the primary arms micro.  In my experience the PA micro is brighter than the M2/M3 clone.  In the future I'll buy more TRS-25's, if I'm spending more I'll probably get another aimpoint.          
View Quote

Thanks! Great to see someone with first hand experience on all of the above, it makes the whole budget thing much easier to sift through in my mind. Now I won't consider even the PA Micro, as clearly someone who's used all of the above prefers the Bushnell over the PA (and it looks like they're the same price). Now for myself, I just need to decide between the short term Bushy or simply saving for a T1 sooner (maybe I should buy the Bushy sooner, then move it to my 10/22 after I get the T1).

For the OP, if you like Eotech, check out their reticle. The dot in the center of a lit circle with 4 cardinal points marked is unique. I do like mine a lot, still trying to decide between it and my Aimpoint PRO for a home defense carbine.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:16:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Glad I could help.  Don't take me as saying the PA red dots are bad, I'm just saying the TRS-25 is better for the money.          

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#22]
The TRS has a battery life that smokes every other micro except for the Aimpoints. They can take a little bit of abuse too, as mine has lived through a couple spills. The weak spot is the integral mount that requires a riser, limiting QD mount options. I've been in the process of replacing it with an H1 for tye past year and a half I think. Problem is, every time I have the funds set aside I decide to buy something else since the TRS25 is holding up so well.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Vortex Strike-fire.  Palmetto State had them on sale.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Sportsmans sale must be over sorry. They WERE 339.
The Sightmarks can be hit or miss. If you do go with them only either get the Ultra Shot  Digital Switch or the Pro spec (which has better glass and NV setting).
Theres a lot of happy customers that hold zero great and some that dont at all.
Its just a reflex red dot made to look Eotech-ish...its not laser hologram like Eos.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I just got a Sightmark NV 14002 and I plan on writing up a full review once I get my pistol finished and have a chance to go shoot it.  At first glance it seems to be perfect for me.  I don't think it could take a bullet or tons of abuse but I don't think I will ever need it too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I got a Vortex Strikefire when it went on sale at PSA.  It is good quality, and includes a magnifier if you choose to use it.
View Quote

This is the only experience with a dot sight I have but it works great
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll vouch for that. I have a Micro and and an AimPoint PRO and the Micro is brighter.  Seems to be a good little red dot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I love how any optic discussion ends up with "get an Aimpoint or an Eotech".  Not everyone needs an indestructible, mil-spec, unlimited battery life optic.  Are they better than cheaper ones?  Sure, of course they are.  But again, not everyone needs that level of optic.  This thread is titled BUDGET not best.  I'm sick of the "you need a 400$ optic on your 6 time a year range plinker answers.

/rant
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I love how any optic discussion ends up with "get an Aimpoint or an Eotech".  Not everyone needs an indestructible, mil-spec, unlimited battery life optic.  Are they better than cheaper ones?  Sure, of course they are.  But again, not everyone needs that level of optic.  This thread is titled BUDGET not best.  I'm sick of the "you need a 400$ optic on your 6 time a year range plinker answers.

/rant
View Quote

@$339 that EoTech IS a budget sight. I paid $100 more than that plus shipping
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Check primary arms.

+1

+2
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:12:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/rant

This.

Plus, the term "budget" is subjective. To some (the ACOG or M68 crowd), even the $400 (near retail) PRO could be considered a budget optic. I even mentioned that in my post. And there have been plenty of suggestions of Primary Arms Micro, and the Bushnell. Plus a Member who had owned several of each, recommending the Bushnell over Primary Arms or Vortex, and then stating that if he were to spend more than the Bushnell, he'd suggest the PRO.

And guess what the OP really seems to want? An Eotech! Nothing wrong with that (my EXPS-3-0 is my current favorite, yet I'll soon be buying the Bushnell for my AR pistol).
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:04:03 AM EDT
[#32]
I'd go with anything Vortex. I have a SPARC that is great. They also have a full transferable lifetime no questions asked warranty. That's worth it right there.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:15:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I'd go with anything Vortex. I have a SPARC that is great. They also have a full transferable lifetime no questions asked warranty. That's worth it right there.
View Quote
IIRC lifetime warranty does not apply to the Strikefire.

Just read the website and it appears I was wrong.

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Had the opportunity to take my new AR out for the first time today. My busy had his with him as we'll. he had a Lucid gen 3 HD7 red dot. He said he had had it for several months and lives it. The reviews online seem good. Any opinions?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top