Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/3/2012 5:22:06 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm am looking for an AR15 that I can use as a duty weapon (law enforcement). My department allows us to carry personally owned ARs. Unfortunately, I have a low budget ($700-$800). Any suggestions for good deals? I know I'm gonna get the "build it yourself" answer but my departments policy is that it can't be a home build. It has to be purchased complete/assembled by an AR armorer. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#1]
1) Check around for vendors that offer LEO discounts.
2) Can you be issued a department AR of better quality? $700-800 is doable, but its a pretty bare bones AR. Do you have extra set aside for mags and an optic?
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe PSA?
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#3]
By the way, I'm interested in the following features:
-flat top (for optics)
-modulate full length hand-guard (15" or so)/low profile has block
-chrome lined barrel
-Ambi fire/safe controls
-anything else you guys think is a "must"
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Maybe PSA?

^ This ^

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/rifles/palmetto-state-armory.html
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe PSA?

^ This ^

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/rifles/palmetto-state-armory.html

+1

Even if you go with an upper, they have some good deals.  Chrome line especially.

I bought one of their "blemish" stripped uppers for $50, and the only thing wrong was a discoloration inside it.

They shipped fast too.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]
S&W carbines

Look towards the bottom of the original post.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
-flat top (for optics)
-chrome lined barrel
-Ambi fire/safe controls

No problem you can absolutely get that on your budget.  I built my AR with Magpul MOE furniture for around $615 (including all shipping and FFL charges and a rear sight).  The only thing about mine that wouldn't fit your specs is that I don't have a chrome lined barrel: I actually paid MORE to get a Wylde chambered SS target barrel.

Last year, PSA was selling forged alloy lowers for $50 on Black Friday.  I expect similar sorts of deal this year.  Watch the deal threads here, sign up for email alerts at PSA and other retailers and shop wisely.  A couple of hints to save money:

1) Unless you plan on building a number of AR's, go with a completed upper.  Otherwise, you'll have to buy a number of specialized tools and probably pay more, especially when you factor in the shipping when you buy the individual parts.  Plus, you'll have to worry about things like head spacing.  

2) A lower build kit (LPK + stock, buffer,  spring and buffer tube) is usually cheaper, especially if you get one on sale,

ETA: didn't see your requirements for a modulate (modular?  Do you mean a quad rail?) full-length hand guard and the low profile gas block.  Mine has neither and that's going to add to your cost.  I still think you should be able to squeak in under your upper limit with smart shopping.  Shop sales and know when to combine orders to save on shipping.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Contact  Todd Coons at Windham......207-893-2223  ext.731
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Doe's your department have a armorer that could build it for you?? If so my suggestion is using a PSA stripped lower (blemished if you can get one one sale for $59.00), PSA "  Classic Lower Build Kit" when they do a sale for $79.00 then use a Bravo Company 14.5 " or 16" M-4 upper and BCG for $439.00 and $159.00. You'd also need a handguard if you bought the BCM upper but they have M-4 for $23.00

Totaling that up sans FFL transfer (hopefully your dept can do something there) using the normal price for a PSA blem lower I come up $780.00. You'd need a rear sight but that could be something your dept could help with also...if not the EE would be a good place to check.

I'm planning this route myself for my next AR build, I have a blem lower here and only mark on it is a small scratch..I did worse my 1st AR build.

If not then a PSA complete rifle is your best choice your price range
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow thanks for the help guys. I don't have an armorer at my depth for the ARs. Second, I do need a16 in barrel. Lastly , I am working on a rifle not for work so I do have some parts if I could use them. Anyone know anything about the stag model 3?  Also, the modular hand guard (MI SS of Troy trx) are pretty important to me. I would be able to add this myself but the low profile gas block would be to accommodate the hand guard.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#11]
try to put $200 more in your budget and get a PSA/Aimpoint PRO rifle combo and youll be set right out the box
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I know someone another forum (1911forum) who knows AR's and is law enforcement, the Stag wouldn't serve your propose.

I would ask your dept if a completed upper is ok. Building the lower yourself is dirt simple. I can understand them not wanting you to build that yourself but both PSA and BCM do all the same testing on their completed uppers same as a whole rifle.

If not then the PSA with Aimpoint Pro would be your best option under $1000 dollars
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
try to put $200 more in your budget and get a PSA/Aimpoint PRO rifle combo and youll be set right out the box

+1 to this..Just save a little more and get a complete package..Probably the best deal going right now, especially with the optic included.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#14]
You might want to call East Coast Custom Tactical  (Jimmy)  
1-352-533-7788
Great work at great prices.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
-flat top (for optics)
-chrome lined barrel
-Ambi fire/safe controls

Weapon light.

As of now i don't know if you can get all this for 800 bucks you might need 400 more, and i would not skimp on a duty carbine. Can you use a credit card, if so get a bcm complete ar 15 or a colt.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a TLR1 that I was planning on using at first until I get the scout light
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 8:18:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't forget a sling.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm going to have to throw Colt and BCM in here.

With both running around a grand (and at least one of the places that has them offers a MIL/LEO discount) there's not too many reasons in my book not to go with one of them.

Link Posted: 11/3/2012 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

With both running around a grand (and at least one of the places that has them offers a MIL/LEO discount) there's not too many reasons in my book not to go with one of them.

This.  Your life is on the line.  Not a place to be cheap.  I have to many Leo friends from my field of work and I want them to come home ever night. Buy something you can trust your life with.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I currently have the ms3 sling. Good points everyone. Thanks again for all the advice!
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Agree with this. However, do you have a budget for the following?

Light + mount
Red dot + mount
BUIS (front and/or rear)
Sling + mounts
Will you want/need a railed handguard for this?
Mags
etc
etc.........
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#22]

I second this. You want a inexpensive Ar, but one you can bet your life on. BCM builds some really great "Hell and Back" guns.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Already have magazines, optic, fling, light, case, etc
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#24]
A Troy carbine? At @ $1k it will have the free float hand guard you want. Not sure on the barrel. You can probably even get a LEO discount to bring the price down. You can buy a colt at the same price but then you have to buy the hand guard and low pro gas block etc. just a thought. I have a PSA and it has been flawless. That may be your best bet.

ETA. Subscribe to PSA newsletter emails. They constantly send me rifle deals.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#25]
http://www.quanticotactical.com/brands/sw/sw.asp

Although I agree that the PSA Patrol Carbine with Aimpoint is a very attractive deal.  That's prolly what I'd go for. Dunno what shift you're working but that red dot at night could be a decided advantage to workin off irons.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#26]

For $800, I'd do this, and you'd still have some money left to buy a carry handle or more solid rear sight.

Since everyone else is trying to spend an extra $200 that isn't in your budget, this would be my $1000.00 choice. Especially for your application, I think the Aimpoint would be great to turn on and leave on.

Edit: I messed up the links.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 6:27:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Contact  Todd Coons at Windham......207-893-2223  ext.731

Call Windham. You will not be dissapointed.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 6:48:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Walmart has a few AR15's in your price range. They have Layaway til mid December as well.
$800 will build a wonderful lightweight carbine. With a MOE and a ALG trigger upgrade.
Palmetto State has some good prices too.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for all the advise everyone! This is my first post and its been great. I'm gonna work on getting a hold of the people you guys mentioned and I'll post what I end up with. BTW, I'm not sure if this made the national news, but they just tried to push through a 5 cent per round ammo tax here in cook county, Illinois (obamas old stomping grounds).  Who knows what will happen with gun restrictions/taxes after the election if he ends up getting four more years. Thanks against for all the help everyone!!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top