Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2006 2:00:43 PM EDT
Just finished installing the little spring kit from Brownells to lighten the stock trigger. I didn't really mess with polishing or stoning as this trigger was pretty smooth, just heavy. I made sure all the surfaces on the trigger group were nice and clean and put the kit in.

It worked great! I don't have a gauge but have several RRA 2 stage triggers and it is now almost as nice as those triggers. Quite an improvement for $9.95. BTW this little kit is made by JP Enterprises. I didn't know they made anything that cheap.  her
Pete
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Those spring kits are a lot better way to improve your trigger than the 15-minute trigger job that many tout here.

I suppose you could reuse your crush washer, but it is recommended that a new one be used each time the flash suppressor is removed. On the other hand, peel washers can be reused multiple times.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Another silly subject. After reworking my M4 I realized that I had forgotten to order a new crush washer. Anybody cheap out and re-use one? (At least until I can order a new one)

Pete

If you index is back exactly as it came off it may be crushed too much.  If you can turn it in one full turn, you will still be crushing it and it will work just like a new one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks....I put it back on after seeing you guys' posts. Got it re-indexed. I looked at it under some magnification and I couldn't see that it was crushed at all. Maybe because it's a Bushmaster washer? he
Thanks for the advice on the washer too.

Pete
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I put one of the Yellow Tavern spring kits, also from Brownell's, in my 1st build and it worked great!!!!
Been using them ever since.

The-Duck
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:47:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Will the Yellow Tavern spring work with a RRA 2 stage trigger?  Will it improve it any?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:03:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I've heard of SOME reports of light primer strikes using the Brownells spring kits. I'm keeping mine stock. The last RRA LPK had a really nice single stage trigger pull, about 7-8 lb, very clean and crisp. If you're setting up a match rifle, go ahead. If you're going to possibly use it for SHTF/CQB work (zombie/alien invasion), keep it as simple as possible.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to check and see about the light primer strike issues. There seems to be plenty of power there but I am just judging by what my finger feels with the upper removed and the trigger released. I think some old Wolf ammo should give the springs a fair test. I'll also look at the primer strike cavity under some magnification and report back.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:48:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you have to touch/replace the hammer spring? If not, don't worry about it. If it does affect the hammer spring, then there is a slight chance it will cause light primer strikes as the spring wears out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:38:27 AM EDT
[#9]
On their website JP recommends a combo of the stock hammer spring and their yellow trigger spring for cold weather and duty use.  Obviously the pull is a lot lighter using both yellow springs as opposed to just the yellow trigger spring.  I currently have the setup that JP recommends for duty use, but am thinking about doing some cold weather/Wolf ammo testing with both yellow springs to see if there are any actual primer ignition issues.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Does Midway carry the trigger springs?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#11]
can someone link me to these light springs? I cant navigate thru brownells if my life depended on it
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#13]
What is the trigger pull using the stock hammer and disconnector spring with the JP trigger spring?
I've gotten 7-8 lb using all stock parts.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What is the trigger pull using the stock hammer and disconnector spring with the JP trigger spring?
I've gotten 7-8 lb using all stock parts.

I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but on my rifle it is lighter than the pull using an all stock trigger, definitely enough to notice a difference.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I had hoped to have a report on primer strikes but the weather here in W. Texas has been uncooperative - no not especially cold, but windy enough to make shooting problematical. When we have wind, we have WIND.

I don't have a trigger pull gauge but the stock trigger with both yellow springs is about what a RRA 2 stage NM trigger is (about 4.5 lbs) and very clean. I can't really tell much difference between the hammer strike with both JP springs and the stock ones. They both pop your thumb with the upper removed. (I know, this is very scientific)

In any event, I guess we need someone with lots more experience than me to really evaluate this kit. But at just $9.95, it is really hard to beat.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Hopefully it helps reduce the trigger pull by 1 or 2 lb. The full kit is supposed to yield a 4-5 lb pull. It might take it down to 5-6 lb??? It'd be interesting to see quantitative results though. I have a pull gauge so I can measure it.

Are there any function concerns with using the trigger spring and disconnector spring? I want maximum primer striking force, so the hammer spring is out of the question for me. My new DPMS LPK trigger feels very crisp and clean, but at about 7-8 lb. It's hard to bump-fire
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got in a few Yellow Tavern kits and a JP kit to try. I have done the 15 min. trigger job on my M4, but am going to replace it with one of the kits. I also have a 9mm carbine with a RRA LPK in it. That trigger needs some major help. Sure it has a crisp break, but at how many pounds.

I'm interested to see teh differences between the JP and YT kits. I'll aslo do some polishing while I'm in  there.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Will the Yellow Tavern spring work with a RRA 2 stage trigger?  Will it improve it any?

i put one of those spring kits in my rra 2 stage, it made a diffrence. you just cant use one of the springs, the disconnector as its rivited on
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I had light primer strikes with my light weight springs, except only issues were with mil-surp. No probloms with the comercial 223 stuff. All I did was replace the hammer spring with the original and all was good. I did read somewhere that a fix was to lighten the hammer so that it could have less mass to move and this would fix the light strikes. Dont take this as gospol though I have not done it. Just thought it would be something for the tinkers to do. Hunter121
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#22]
i dig the JP spring kit.  i'm not much on the yellow paint, but other than that they are great.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:20:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top