Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/8/2009 9:55:57 AM EST
First, what is your opinion of these magazines? I'm not an operator, won't be using the hell out of them, they will be for SHTF purposes and casual shooting.

Second, when shooting this weekend I noticed that they did not load as well as my Colt & PMAG magazines. I was using a LULA and would have to manually assist the loading by shoving the round to the back with my thumb. It was almost like the rounds were too long for the magazine. (was shooting Privi M855) Has anyone else noticed this?

As usual, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:55:15 PM EST
Second, when shooting this weekend I noticed that they did not load as well as my Colt & PMAG magazines. I was using a LULA and would have to manually assist the loading by shoving the round to the back with my thumb. It was almost like the rounds were too long for the magazine. (was shooting Privi M855) Has anyone else noticed this?

Can't comment on the 30-round chrome silicone spring mags, but I did use a Brownells 20-round stainless steel spring mag for the first time this weekend, and I too had difficulty loading it. But it fed all 20 rounds flawlessly.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 4:37:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2009 4:41:58 PM EST by AR-Admirer]
Brownell's brand mags are really good. They are a military supplier.

Maybe the springs are stiff. Leave it loaded for a few days and the spring should loosen up a bit and make loading easier.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 12:34:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By AR-Admirer:

But the military isn't buying those silly corn stupid sprung versions. The Mil version has the green follower and mil spec stainless spring.

I wouldn't use a mag that had that CS nonsense in it. I've bought a handful of the Brownells mil spec mags and upgraded the follower to a magpul on some of them. Good Mags!
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 3:41:11 AM EST
Originally Posted By markm:
Originally Posted By AR-Admirer:

But the military isn't buying those silly corn stupid sprung versions. The Mil version has the green follower and mil spec stainless spring.

I wouldn't use a mag that had that CS nonsense in it. I've bought a handful of the Brownells mil spec mags and upgraded the follower to a magpul on some of them. Good Mags!

The military has infact gone away from the green follower and has gone to a true anti-tilt follower. As for the springs, the chrome silicon spring is a much better spring than the stainless steel version. The CS spring will not take a set, as where the SS spring will weaken and will take a set. (Just for the record, C Products offers both springs so I do not have a agenda)

Chad
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 4:00:02 AM EST
I used a couple of Brownells magazines marked with a 2005 production date while I was down at Parris Island. They were beat to hell, but functioned fine for Table 1 and Table 2 qualification. I'll buy them for my own personal use for now on.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 4:09:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/11/2009 4:10:23 AM EST by markm]
Originally Posted By CProductsChad:
The military has infact gone away from the green follower and has gone to a true anti-tilt follower. As for the springs, the chrome silicon spring is a much better spring than the stainless steel version. The CS spring will not take a set, as where the SS spring will weaken and will take a set. (Just for the record, C Products offers both springs so I do not have a agenda)

Chad

Gee. The CS spring failed the corrosion testing miserably for one of the GOOD magazine manufacturers!

What did Cprods corrosion tests show?
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 1:02:13 PM EST
.......those silly corn stupid sprung versions. !

What is "corn sprung"?? Brownells has a new USGI spec follower that no one on this forum seems to know anything about.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 11:42:59 PM EST
corn stupid sprung
chrome silicone spring
Get it?
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 11:49:49 PM EST
I have Brownells magazines with chrome silicone and stainless steel springs, 20 rounders and 30 rounders, regular green followers and magpul followers.
All work flawlessly, they are the only magazine I now use besides P-Mags

I do think the Brownells magazine springs are stiffer than most other magazines and a bit tough to load initially.

Load your magazines and let them sit awhile and they get easier to load.

I think I saw something somewhere on their website about a new follower but a new follower would require approval or it would violate the terms of the technical data package and all the magazines that incorporate such an item could be rejected by military inspectors.
I really have no idea what the heck they are talking about.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 6:06:07 AM EST
CS springs are another nonsense item marketed to the gun community....

The don't meet corrosion resistance standards. Go ask Magpul why they didn't use a CS spring in the PMAG. They failed dramatically. And nevermind that SS mag springs last plenty long... as long as the mag will last under normal use.

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 6:49:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By Milo5:

I think I saw something somewhere on their website about a new follower but a new follower would require approval or it would violate the terms of the technical data package and all the magazines that incorporate such an item could be rejected by military inspectors.

The gubmint is buying an "Improved 30 Round Magazine" There's a new follower design and the NSN number has changed.

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 5:28:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By Joe_Pennsy:
Originally Posted By Milo5:

The gubmint is buying an "Improved 30 Round Magazine" There's a new follower design and the NSN number has changed.

I wonder if it has a chrome silicone spring?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:54:37 AM EST
A SS spring will be fine for several thousand cycles. A CS spring more like 20k cycles. So a mag with an SS spring would run 100,000 rounds before it gets to weak. Or if you have 2 mags that's 200,000 rounds. A CS spring will rust like hell in that amount of time, why screw with that?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:02:08 AM EST
Originally Posted By cckw:
A CS spring will rust like hell in that amount of time, why screw with that?

Exactly. It's senseless.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:55:07 AM EST
Originally Posted By CProductsChad:

Chad

Gee. The CS spring failed the corrosion testing miserably for one of the GOOD magazine manufacturers!

What did Cprods corrosion tests show?

I did not post that to start an argument as many on AR15 seem to want to do, just my opinion on the springs. As far as your comment about the "good" magazine manufacturers, I am not going to take the bait and get into a pissing contest with you. There are plenty of people who are completely satisfied with C Products magazines.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:56:07 AM EST
Not to continue the pissing match but stainless steel springs will corrode and believe it or not,,,,,,they can rust.
The hewest chrome silicone springs are ceramic coated or powder coated to prevent corrosion.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:50:36 AM EST
From Brownell's product description..

Choose from a mil-spec stainless steel spring or our new, high lubricity, dry-lube-coated chrome silicon spring that’s corrosion-resistant certified to 500 hour salt spray standards, and less prone to spring “set.”
Top Top