Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2004 10:31:07 AM EDT

Has anyone ever used one of these.  And if so, how does one work it?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup,
They are for use in the case of a case head seperation.
If the head of a shell case blows off, it  will leave the shell body in the chamber.  Put the broken shell extractor into the case, which is in the chamber.  The "barb" will come through the case neck.  The bolt is then closed on the shell extractor, and the extractor of your rifle hooks on the rim of the shell extractor.  Pull the blot open and the broken shell come right out

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#2]
They can be purchased from Brownells.  Echo makes them in a lot of different calibers.  Cost about $18 ea
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one that I bought from CDNN, but it came with zero instructions.   That is pretty much what I figured was supposed to happen.  Hopefully I never have to use it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a bunch of them stashed everywhere-in buttstocks, cleaning kits, my toolbox, maintenance kit etc but have never once had to use one.

That being said Murphy's Law isn't recursive: The moment I leave the broken shell extractor at home I'll have a case head separation that will wreck my whole damn day, a meteor will fall out of the sky and destroy my AR, and my wife will leave me for another man.

For those reasons I consider it crucial to have one with me at all times
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a bunch of them stashed everywhere-in buttstocks, cleaning kits, my toolbox, maintenance kit etc but have never once had to use one.

That being said Murphy's Law isn't recursive: The moment I leave the broken shell extractor at home I'll have a case head separation that will wreck my whole damn day, a meteor will fall out of the sky and destroy my AR, and my wife will leave me for another man.

Thank God I have one.  That's a lot of bad shit.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank God I have one.  That's a lot of bad shit.

I think I better get.  I dont want a meteor to fall out of the sky and destroy my AR
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm awfully glad you guys have seen the light

Did I mention that it could save you from alien experimentation too?

Don't screw around with your lives guys-buy a broken shell extractor today.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#8]
you insert it and chamber it like a live round. don't ride the bolt forward. let it chamber under the full power of the spring. Then grap on to the charging handle and jack it back with some force.  The extractor should pull the ruptured case out of the chamber. if it fails tto extract it the first time. let the chamber cool down a bit and give the brass time to contract and then repeat the process until you get the extractor to pull the ruptured case out of the chamber.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top