Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 5/20/2005 6:10:32 AM EST
My rifle was less than 1yr. old and the bolt broke in half at the cam pin. Any ideas what could have caused this?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:11:41 AM EST
Obvious question - who made the rifle and/or bolt?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:12:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/20/2005 6:12:59 AM EST by _DR]

Originally Posted By glockguy2102:
My rifle was less than 1yr. old and the bolt broke in half at the cam pin. Any ideas what could have caused this?

Metal fatigue, metallurgical flaws, excessive heat.

Can I ask who the manufacturer of the bolt was?

ETA: Mongo type faster!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:17:55 AM EST
I bought the gun off of gunbroker.com. The guy put it together himself it is a Rock River carbine
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:18:47 AM EST
Replace the Bolt with one that reads "MPC", Cuz.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:20:58 AM EST
It is 99.99% likely that the bolt has no markings on it, so knowing where it came from/who made it is probably not possible. Since this was sold on GB as "Rock River", I doubt that there is any tracablility of any of the parts and it is likely that very few, if any of the parts, are Rock River.

The best you could do is contact the seller, if possible, and ask for some help.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:21:43 AM EST
What does MPC stand for? Is it a better bolt?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:21:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/20/2005 6:28:50 AM EST by _DR]

I bought the gun off of gunbroker.com. The guy put it together himself HE SAID it is a Rock River carbine

Fixed it for ya.

Another victim of Gunbroker.com FRDs (Franken-Rifle Dealers).

Been seeing a lot of these lately.

Could have been chinese pot-metal bolt.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:22:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/20/2005 6:24:20 AM EST by _DR]

MPC

Magnetic particle tested, Proof load fired, COLT.

The best you can buy IMO.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:23:36 AM EST

Colt bolt - they are inspected to a higher standard than most other bolts. A smaller number of flawed bolts make it into the market this way
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:26:00 AM EST
Dont feel bad I broke one last week, first time in my life.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:26:42 AM EST
Thanks everyone you guys are fast to reply I appreciate that. Luckily I was at firearms instructor re-cert when this happened and got it fixed. Just stripped it down to look and the bolt in there now does say MP but I dont see a C on it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:43:21 AM EST

Thanks everyone you guys are fast to reply I appreciate that. Luckily I was at firearms instructor re-cert when this happened and got it fixed. Just stripped it down to look and the bolt in there now does say MP but I dont see a C on it.

The MP is the important part.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:45:59 AM EST
I broke one back in Nov. I had around 10,000 rounds through it though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:24:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/20/2005 6:32:53 PM EST by shamayim]

If it just said MP, it may well be a very early Colt bolt, since Colt didn't start putting "C" on them until into the Viet Nam War era, when M16 contracts were let to H&R and GM, and Colt needed to start IDing what they had made.

Got one myself, with a whole bunch of milsurp bolt assys I bought a few years back. It's sitting on a C7 clone in my closet at the moment. Works OK so far, but understand; these milsurp pieces may have had 10s of thousands of rounds put thru them, much in full auto, and sooner or later anything will wear out. If mine poops out, I'm not going to feel too bad, since it only cost me $20

Edited to add: Whoops. Just reread your post, and it sounds like you're saying that you have a replacement for the broken piece that's marked "MP". Initially, I interperated your post that the broken piece was MP marked. Well, it's late, I'm tired, and sometimes not too bright.

The comments about the "MP" marked bolt, whether it's the busted one, or the new one, stand. it's probably early Colt

I have seen a post somewhere or other though, that the very newest Colt bolts may not have the "C" mark any more. I can't remember where I saw this, and personally can't confirm it.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:56:22 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:17:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/21/2005 4:19:37 AM EST by _DR]

Originally Posted By David_Hineline:
I have broken 2, one unknown in a Sendra, and One DPMS Chromed.

Damn, now I am starting to feel like a newb, having never broken one. Seems like everyone has broken at least one.

Only thing I ever broke was the bipod leg on one M60 and the sear on another. The Damn thing would runaway until you broke the ammo belt.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:11:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By _DR:

Originally Posted By David_Hineline:
I have broken 2, one unknown in a Sendra, and One DPMS Chromed.

Damn, now I am starting to feel like a newb, having never broken one. Seems like everyone has broken at least one.

Only thing I ever broke was the bipod leg on one M60 and the sear on another. The Damn thing would runaway until you broke the ammo belt.

Hey, bubba, I've owned a class3d SP1 since 1978. It's got untold 1000s of rounds thru it, and it still has the original bolt.

Don't feel like a newbie. Instead, feel like a guy who got ARs w/good quality bolts
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:18:43 PM EST
I would contact the guy that you bought it from and ask him about his products, tell him your situation and see what he has to say. If he doesn't offer any help then I guess that you will be unfortunatley stuck buying a new bolt.
Top Top