Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2003 8:49:55 AM EDT
I was wondering how good these mags are.I have heard a lot of good but I was wondering is there anything wrong with these mags in general? Also I wanted to know if the SA80 mags work good in the Bushmaster M17 and AR-180B.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Almost forgot... I see that most of the SA80 mags have a black follower. I`m a believer in the green followers. Will the SA80 mags ok with or without the green followers? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#2]
The greenies will work just fine.  The brit mags are pretty much identical to our USGI mags, but made of steel instead.  No worries, put in your greenies.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Collin will they also work in the Bushmaster M17 and AR180B? I don`t have either of these yet but they are moving up on my list of guns to buy. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I can only assume that since the AR180B accepts AR-15 mags, and the SA80 mags are externally identical to the AR15 mags, that the SA80 mags will fit and function in the AR180B.  The same goes with Bushie's bullpup.  I haven't tried it myself but if A=B and B works in C, then A will work in C also.  I can forsee no problems whatsoever.  Go ahead and get the mags, I'm darn near certain they'll work for you.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#5]
In a word, fuckingincredible.
I measured the gap at the back of the magazine, where the bolt catch activates on the follower, and they were much tighter than my older aluminum GI mags, and even some of my NIW USGI mags.

The steel resists spreading and cracking of the feed lips much better than aluminum.  It also resists the breaking of floorplate tabs.

Inside of mine, the followers appeared identical to the green follower, anti-tilt extension and everything.  I left them in and used my green followers on my older GI mags (helped immensely).

I test fired one of my 5-mag packs and every mag inserted easily when fully loaded, fed [i]flawlessly[/i] on rapid fire, and dropped free without incident.

The weight of the steel mags is very reassuring.  Buy a bunch, preserve some and use the rest for everyday shooting.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Many members here, including myself, have had to modify these mags slightly to get them to engage the mag catch properly.

It's real easy work with a small file.  I like the Brit mags for the range and such!
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:14:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Almost forgot... I see that most of the SA80 mags have a black follower. I`m a believer in the green followers. Will the SA80 mags ok with or without the green followers? Thanks
View Quote

I have been using them for a couple of months now and they work great.  The black followers haven't given me any problems although they don't look as sturdy as the green.  USGI springs seem to be heavier too.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:53:23 AM EDT
[#8]
These are very good mags as is. Heavy duty in every regard.

Their steel construction makes their prospects for long term use very reassuring. They insert and drop free easily. Even when fully loaded.

I obtained 3 recently, and the mag catch, feed lips etc... measure out exactly the same as my alloy follower Simmonds 20 round USGI mags.

I agree replacing the black follower with green only makes them better.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:23:29 AM EDT
[#9]
1)The followers aren't black; they're a very dark blue.
2)While they're the same design as the greenies, they're made out of a very cheap plastic that bends like crazy when you flex them, and I wouldn't trust them to last. Put in the greenies. Also, the as issued followers only depress enough to hold 29 rounds, so if you're going to keep them in, cut the middle bar down about 1/4 inch. That'll give you a 30 rounder.
3)Of the 5 I bought, one of them was off kilter just enough that the tips of the bullets rub against the front of the inner wall. Not enough to make the mag unusable; just enough to piss me off.
4)Every one of them has a retention slot that needs to be widened on the top edge. Yes, you can insert the mag; but the top of the feed lips are scraping the underside of the bolt carrier if you don't open up the slot.

All that being said, they're still better than the aluminum GI units.  My own personal preference is for US made Thermolds; but if you're not into plastic mags, the properly modified Brit jobs are the next best thing[:D]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I am having this exact problem. Could you describe the "slot" a bit better?
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top