Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2003 7:48:34 AM EDT
I found a inexpensive supply of brand new  SA80 mags that have just hit the market.  They look good, and seem to function fine.  My one concern is that they are made of steel instead of aluminum, and I was concerned about long term wear on the aluminum lower receiver.  Anyone know if this could be a potential problem?  
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#1]
you can probably search this forum and find lots of info about these mags, but I don't think anyone's addressed wear on the receiver.  

I really don't think it would be a problem.  It would take thousands upon thousands of insertions to cause any discernable wear in the magwell.  You might see visible wear on the finish pretty quickly, but I seriously doubt there would be any functional degradation from using these mags.  

I have two of them so far, and they're great!  I definitely want more of them!

Link Posted: 4/18/2003 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I found a inexpensive supply of brand new  SA80 mags that have just hit the market.  They look good, and seem to function fine.  My one concern is that they are made of steel instead of aluminum, and I was concerned about long term wear on the aluminum lower receiver.  Anyone know if this could be a potential problem?  
View Quote

I'd be more concerned about Rust.  Keep 'em dry!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I hope they're good! I just bought six.
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Just don't let the brass marks accumulate on your deflector!
Link Posted: 4/18/2003 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Point well taken markm! [^]

You know how it is- new toy, you don't want to break it in the first day...
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Every alluminum framed pistol from the Beretta 92 to the Para Ordnance 45 have steel mags going into the alluminum frames and I don't think wear has ever been a problem.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I recently purchased a set of four SA80 mags from FAC and I'm not too happy with them. Whatever the coating on them is, it makes for a tight fit in the magwell and it rubs off on the inside of the receiver. On top of that, the hole in the mag for the mag catch is too small. I've yet to modify them so that they'll lock into the magwell. Maybe I got a bad batch, but I don't think I'll be buying anything but contract military mags. You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I recently bought two of these mags (they have the "England") sticker on them.  I took them to the range and shoot about 200 rounds through them today.

The mags functioned 100% in my BM shorty.  Two observations:

1.  The mags never locked back the bolt after the last round, and

2.  The mags made the mag release button very hard to push for some reason.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#9]
RE: #2
Get a small file and take a little off the top of the mag catch hole.  Works like a charm!

Edited to add:  I have seven of them.  Three needed a little attention from a file.  Great, durable, reliable, CHEAP mags.  Can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:25:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Strazz - do yours lock back the bolt on the last round?  
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#11]
The two I've used function 100% every time.  The other five are new.  I'll put them to the test this Sunday.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I had one out of four that required the file.  I just don't feel too groovy having to do that kinda thing, but it worked.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Strazz - do yours lock back the bolt on the last round?  
View Quote

Getting them to seat propperly by opening up the mag catch hole will probably correct this.

If is doesn't, then it sounds like you have a short stroking problem.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Markm.  Everyone of my USGI and Thermolds lock the bolt on the last round, so I believe it's a mag issue.

You file the underside of the notch closest to the top of the mag - correct?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Right!  Mine would barely seat but would drop down every time I fired a round.  I could seat the mag and then pull it out without hitting the release.  A little filing and it was fixed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I have 6 of them and they all hold the bolt back on my Bushmaster after the last round.  I can't put a fully loaded one in with the bolt closed though.  They work very well otherwise.  I just got six USGI mags today for $95.00, got home and changed out the followers for the green ones:)
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top