Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2003 7:36:20 AM EDT
Hey Guys,

Was at a gunshow this weekend, everyone seemed to be selling these made in england 30 round mags, I had heard nothing about them, so i bout some colt 20's instead.

Any info on these mags would be great!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#1]
They are very good in my experience, made by Royal Ordnance, the previous owners of H&K.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I own two and they are the best functioning mags I have including my USGIs.  I'm going down to the gun store and buying 2 more today.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:58:39 AM EDT
[#3]
i saw some british mags in my guns magazine. they said they go to the sa-80 but they also work in the ar-15's and they are made of steel
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I own four of them.  I had to return one because the magazine catch couldn't lock it, and we then discovered the dealer had 3 or 4 that did the same thing.  Ones I have now work fine though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#5]
My local dealer has some but I didn't buy it since it didn't have green followers.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I have ten.  They have worked perfectly in the six months I've owned them.  I have seen them in two finishes, parked or blued.  I would pass on the blued versions for durability reasons.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I have 10.

The followers aren't green but are of the same style. Perhaps one of the legs is a little longer than the green ones. I load 29 rounds so it's not an issue for me.

One of my mags required a few passes with a fine file at the lower edge of the mag catch opening to function with both my Colt and Bushy. All others functioned fine without any modification.

Ammoman had a bunch of them and they sold like hotcakes with very few posted complaints.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#8]
My first two ran like champs straight out of the box.  I put green followers in them for the hell of it (plus,the black ones seem a little wimpy).  I just picked up a five pack and three of them will need a little lovin' from a file to get them to seat properly.  I should probably get my ass to walmart and get one!
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#9]
They work good, had to file the mag slot some.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
This topic has been discussed before, so it may be worth your while to do a search.  

I have ten of them.  I haven't had the seating/mag catch problems some have had, but as you've read in the posts above, it is easy to solve.

I have replaced all the followers with green ones, but more as a precaution against feeding problems (this is recommended with any 30 rnd AR mag).  The floorplates are a little tricky to take off, but once you've done a couple, you get the hang of it.

USGI is the best, but I recommend the English ones without reservation.

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They work good, had to file the mag slot some.
View Quote

Roger on that.  Also, if you want them to hold 30 rounds, you either have to replace the followers w/the US greenies, or cut about a third of an inch off the center rib of the original. The original followers, which look black but are actually a very dark blue, are the same stryle as the greenies, but are softer and more bendable in construction.  Whether this will have any effect on longevity, I don't know.

Also, every once in a while there seems to be one that just won't work right; so if you buy 10, nine will be just fine and one won't cut it; or maybe all ten will be just fine, or maybe 5 will work and five won't-----you get the idea[:D]

Still, for the price, they're hard to beat.  Bought 4 for $15 apiece at a recent show, and will probably get a couple more.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#12]
The ten mags I got I installed green followers in it, and I had to get new spring because the mag will not hold open the bolt.  the front inner wall facing the bullets had to be filed and ramped a bit to get the rounds feed a bit smoother.  overall for it is a good magzine other then being somewhat heavier but more durable then the USGI.

USGI is still my favorite civy mag and HK's new SA80A2 mag(LE only) is my favorite all time AR mags.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 20 of the parkerized ones.  At first I only intended to use them as range mags, but all of them have performed flawlessly in three Bushmasters firing well over 4,000 rounds.  I always load the full 30 rounds and have never had a problem with the stock followers, or failure to lock into place.  Mine must have come from an especially good lot!  I have no reason to rate them as inferior to my USGI's, I'd trust them with my life.

DILBERT_556
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Now, if only I could find a gun show near maine that I could attend.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought 14 of them, and only one failed.  "R guns" made it right with a replacement.

I put green USA followers in them, just to be on the safe side.  The English black plastic followers are pretty shabby compared to the green US made ones.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:46:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Purchased 3 from AIM http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Rifle_Magazines.html   all worked perfectly. no hang ups.nad.
Not sure how good they are as far as shipping goes, I'm close enough to shop there.  Best bet would be at local gun shows.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:18:31 AM EDT
[#18]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=162676[/url]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I have six marked Imperial Defense, blued, and they came with green followers already installed.  Work fine in every way.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#20]
There are two different steel mags floating around that come from across the pond.  One is blued & marked Imperial Defense.  They work pretty well.  The others are made by Royal Ordnance and are parkerized.  They are the better of the two steel English mags.  Both types have the "anti-tilt" followers, regardless of what color they may be.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought 2 when I bought my Bushy, I was scepticle of the steel and was warned about non USGI mags, Never had a problem with them or they're black followers. It really amazing how word and experience spread. I do use these mags but I alway load them last out of all my mags. I always use the USGI green follower mags, I always load to 30 rounds. It's funny how I feel more comfortable with the US mags than with the steel mags but neither have hiccuped? Any thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, most of what you heard about USGI mags was the common wisdom of the time. The boatload of RO mags came later, and they needed time to develop trustworthy status. I believe that there was only one trusted steel mag prior, the AR180 mags. So, when in doubt USGI, but the SA80s are gaining respect.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I've seen the blued ones at RGUNS, but which  online vendor has the parkerized ones?  Thanks
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:12:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Which of the 2 are the heavier duty? I handled some at the creek that had a floorplate with one big button that either had RO or RG on the button. Passed on them because they seemed way flimsy, weighed even less than the USGI 30s.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got the grey finished mags, with the england sticker. They are definately heavy duty. They have the same type of floorplate as USGI.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Which of the 2 are the heavier duty? I handled some at the creek that had a floorplate with one big button that either had RO or RG on the button. Passed on them because they seemed way flimsy, weighed even less than the USGI 30s.

SorryOciffer
View Quote

Those are the really old ones; not the current crop.  They have either a blank floorplate or are marked "Imperial".
And yes, they (the Radway Greeen mags) suck.

Larry
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#27]
THAT's what I wanted to know! Thanks man!
SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't know if it applies to AR's, but the reason they are on the market is because they were not reliable in the SA80. Course the SA80 was(/is) a major POS. Part of the SA80A2 upgrade done by HK, which cost about $625 for each rifle was the new HK mag, now that is the one I want. Course they are all post ban. Funny that the Brits spent more than the price of a new M4 to try and fix a rifle that has given them nothing but trouble.  

Mack
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought 6 at last show I was at. Got to the range next day and loved them. Marked "english" with a little sticker. Royal Ord's are great IMO. No problems and I have got about 500 rds. through two of them.

Excellent mags
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought 2 of the English ones, parked. Whats the trick to getting the floorplates off, though?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top