Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2006 8:02:05 AM EDT
I want to break in my new AR15 but  I don't have any ammo, so I need to order some.  I've read not to use Wolf for this.  Ammoman.com has XM855PD for $249 for 1,000 rounds or $449 for 2,000.  Would this ammo be suitable?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Based on much of the feedback here, i'd avoid the XM855PD.

If your AR has a chrome-lined chamber and bore, you have many more options regarding ammo.

I personally would be fine using M193 Wolf brass cased 55gr FMJ for break in.

Ammoman has it.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't used PD anything for break-in.
Regular XM855 or XM193 is good if you can get it. You can use WWB FMJ or Remington greenbox  $3.97/20 rounds at wally world. You want good ammo to eastablish a working baseline for break-in.  Avoid SB, too copper plated steel bullet casing, not a true copper jacket unless they have changes. RG is OK too, maybe underpowered but will work in a 20".

Avoid any Wolf for break-in as it may short stroke or stick in the chamber, and you want to know if your weapon is working, so don't want the ammo to be an issue. AFter you have a wroking baseline, your call. Use good mags too, USGI or Colt. Mags a big source of FTF stoppages.

ETA I have not played with Wolf Brass cases, talking about the steel.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#3]
The price of the XM855PD is too much to justify the hassle in dealing with it anyway. I bought my case two years ago for around $170, and I thought that was too much considering the detailed inspection that I gave every single round.

I'm not one to believe in ritualistic barrel break-in procedures, so all I do is make sure the chamber and bore are nice and clean to begin with, then shoot a few mags of some decent ammo such as American Eagle 55 grain, or the better stuff such as Winchester Q3131 or Federal XM193. I would rather spend my time shooting instead of shooting once or twice then cleaning, shooting, cleaning, etc., etc.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Also you neglected to say if it is a chrome lined or unlined moly bore. A chrome-lined bore really needs no break-in.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I want to break in my new AR15 but  I don't have any ammo, so I need to order some.  I've read not to use Wolf for this.  Ammoman.com has XM855PD for $249 for 1,000 rounds or $449 for 2,000.  Would this ammo be suitable?

What kind of barrel is it?  Will you be shooting match ammo only through it?  Are you looking for a theoretical improvement in groups, sub 1/2MOA ?

Most AR's, when used as a typical plinker, or if chrome lined, require no break-in.  Wolf ammo is just fine for starting out.

If this was a stainless match barrel, and you planned to only shoot match ammo, and really strive for sub-MOA groups all the time... then you might consider breaking in the barrel.  In that case, I would use something not as hot as NATO spec ammo, like Black Hills match.

I didn't think a SS barrel needed break-in.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, forgot to say in my original post:

It's a Sabre Defence Industries midlength upper, 1:7 twist, 16" barrel on a Stag Arms lower.  I'm not trying to make it into a match rifle or anything like that, just a fun range toy/conflict resolution tool.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#10]
What kind of ammo should I purchase for my 20" stainless match barrel 1/8 twist? I've been looking at a 500 rd case of new Winchester M855 62gr penetrator. Would this be a good first batch of ammo to shoot through my unfired precision rifle?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What kind of ammo should I purchase for my 20" stainless match barrel 1/8 twist? I've been looking at a 500 rd case of new Winchester M855 62gr penetrator. Would this be a good first batch of ammo to shoot through my unfired precision rifle?

It would be fine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

It would be fine.

Looking to get sub MOA groups at 200yds when I get my optic, so aside from good shooting techniques... any suggestions for ammo choices, break-in procedures, or cleaning procedures?

P.s. And fwiw, I dont mean to hijack the thread, sorry. I felt my questions would be relevant
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top