Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/17/2012 1:33:04 PM EST
How many rounds should it take? And how often should cleaning be done?

I just purchased a blackhole weaponry 20" stainless bull barrel. Nice barrel. Its 3 polygonal, and I've put about 100 rounds through it and cleaned it twice. Can't seem to squeeze more than about 1.5 moa out of it though. Could be me.. But I have my doubts. I know its not the scope or the mount. Could be my mil-spec trigger, but I have my doubts? Is the barrel bad? I thought I should be pulling sub moa. Or do I need to break it in more and shoot reloads to see? Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 2:02:26 PM EST
It doesn't need to broken in.

What are you using for ammo?

A mil-spec trigger isn't likely helping either.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 2:13:49 PM EST
Shooting factory ammo. I forget the name brand. Some rounds were 60 grain vmax loads. The other box was 75 grain BRHP match ammo. Both no luck getting closer than 1.5" I was thinking about doing my own hand loads using 68 grain vmax BTHP match bullets. The barrel is 1:8 twist, and brand new. I'm having my doubts and I really hope its not the barrel. I was told by a lot of sources that the barrel was very accurate. I'm thinking its my shooting...and the trigger...But I hope its the rounds. The boxes claimed to only 1moa groups. Maybe handloads will give me more luck?
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 2:21:53 PM EST
I was shooting this:

Both the 60 gr and the 75 gr
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:29:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/17/2012 3:30:06 PM EST by Matt_B]

Originally Posted By Munition:
I'm thinking its my shooting...and the trigger...But I hope its the rounds. The boxes claimed to only 1moa groups. Maybe handloads will give me more luck?
If the ammo states it's capable of 1 MOA and you're getting 1.5 MOA with a mil spec trigger, that's pretty darn good.

What position were you shooting the rifle from? A bench? Prone?

How were you supporting the front end of the rifle? Bipod? Bags? By hand?

How were you supporting the back end of the rifle? By hand? Monopod? Bags?

Crafting loads for the rifle may squeeze another 0.25-0.50 MOA out of the rifle too.

What type of mechanical accuracy does the manufacturer state the barrel is capable of? What kind of accuracy are other shooters getting with the same barrel?

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:35:44 PM EST
The barrel break in process is very detailed if done right. The way I break in a new AR barrel is Ill take it to the range and blast off as many rounds as I can afford...done, barrel is now broke in
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:00:31 PM EST

It doesn't need to broken in.

A mil-spec trigger isn't likely helping either.

This
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:36:53 PM EST
I called blackhole weaponry, they said it should shoot sub moa all day long. So....Its probably me or my ammo lol.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:39:12 PM EST
Besides the gun...trigger control, respiration control, steady hands and eyesight is what really helps with accuracy.
Also, follow through
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:24:02 PM EST
No-one has suggested that you try different ammo! The other advice is good, but try some of the Hornady, black hills, and other popular branded stuff.
Also, check the twist rate yourself. Start with a cleaning brush at the chamber end, and mark your cleaning rod with a scribe or fine marker where the rod enters the handle. Pull the rod slowly toward the muzzle, and stop when your mark has made a complete revolution. Measure how much rod extends past the muzzle. Mark the rod at that point, and see if it makes another complete revolution before it exits the muzzle. If it does, measure from the crown to your first mark. That's your twist rate. If it's more than 8", try lighter bullets.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:42:59 PM EST
Odds are good it is broke in by now, but here are couple links of interest suggesting one round, clean, repeat for new barrels.

I am going to do this for the RRA Varmint I just finished up.

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Break_In__Cleaning-c1246-wp2558.htm

http://www.eabco.com/Reports/BarrelBreakIn.htm
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:35:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/21/2012 4:36:43 PM EST by scudzuki]
I have 2 BHW 16" barrels, one a heavy from SAA and the other a melonited RECCE from Parallax Tactical.

Haven't shot any sub MOA with either, even with my 77 gr SMK reloads that shoot .75 MOA with my 20" Doublestar stainless barreled upper.

In fact, the RECCE shoots 4 MOA with my "match" reloads but 1.5 MOA with AE .223 Tactical and PMC X-Tac. I even put the upper on my Timney triggered lower to increase my odds.

The heavy barrel has not impressed me either, with roughly the same results with factory ammo and my "match", 1.5 MOA.

It is possible that I can work up a better load for both, though, if I put the time into it.

Neither barrel was all that expensive, so I'm not too disappointed, just unimpressed.

Joe
Top Top