Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/28/2012 3:06:52 PM EDT
I'm new here and I'm sure i missed many conversations about this.
Can someone point me in the right direction.

Breakfree CLP.  Good/Bad
I've always used Hoppes cleaner and Rem oil for my other rifles and handguns.
I've heard that remoil is too light for AR's.  
What's the opinions of this group on CLP
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I  love CLP but am having a hard time finding it anywhere. I may have to order online next time.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got a good deal on a full gallon of it.  
Not sure how to apply it.  (Spray bottle, rag)?

Link Posted: 8/28/2012 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Both,
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]
OP,

Breakfree CLP has been used by the military for many years..or at least over 20 years, 3 months, and 23 days.  It works.

If you are looking for a dummy proof guide, just grab one of the TMs hung on this site.  While there are alternate methods that will come with experience, reading the stickies, and searching, the TM will get you started.  

Simply click on the bolt face logo in the upper left, then click on "manuals and downloads" in the lower left of the new page, then select TM9-1005-319-10.pdf, about half way down.  I'd give you a direct link, but maybe you'll find other resources that you can use from there as well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just got a good deal on a full gallon of it.  
Not sure how to apply it.  (Spray bottle, rag)?

7/8" stencil brush.Keep it in a plastic paint ball tube or cigar tube.

Link Posted: 8/28/2012 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#7]

While BF CLP is a decent rust-prevent, it's only a marginal cleaner and is also a relatively poor lubricant.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2012 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#8]
CLP is good stuff, but I admit that I still like Hoppe's #9 solvent and Hoppe's oil.  If I was going to the sand box, I'd switch, but for the range they work just fine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Good
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:40:07 AM EDT
[#10]
CLP is an attempt to use one lube for three purposes.  A better approach is to dissect the various brands and pick the best one for each of the three tasks.  Here's my prescription:
-  Kroil for cleaning, the oil that creeps
-  Slip 2000 for lubricating, very slippery
-  Eezox for protecting exposed metal surfaces

If I had to carry a small container of one of these in the field to do all three jobs, it would be Slip 2000 since the lubricating part is the most important. - CW
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 7:37:17 AM EDT
[#11]
GOOD
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#12]
For a one size fits all product, it works great.  

I don't use it for a variety of reasons but if I could have only one product to clean, lubricate, and protect my firearms, it would be Breakfree CLP.

Since I can use several products, I don't use CLP.  But, it's good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#13]
CLP is the standard by which all others are measured.

Yes, there may be better lubes,
Yes, there may be better cleaners, and
Yes, there may be better protectants. But no baseline AR maintenance kit should be without CLP.
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes, there may be better protectants. But no baseline AR maintenance kit should be without CLP.

This..
Millions of X U.S. Army will agree

Link Posted: 9/5/2012 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#15]
CLP flat out works.  You can keep a gun running virtually forever with nothing else.  Apply more and keep it wet.  It keeps carbon soft and lubes well enough to keep everything moving.

The enemy of good enough is "the best"

Trying to find "the best" often has unintended problems when it comes to lubes.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The "standard by all other" what are measured?

If limited to using a 3-in-1 type of product, then I'd much rather use G-96 Synthetic CLP.

Beyond that, and as you indicated, when compared to other dedicated lubricants, cleaners and/or protectants, BF CLP is typically found lacking, with the possible exception of the rust preventative category.

Would I use it if it were the only thing available?  Sure.  But there are plenty of other superior options to choose from ... so I don't.

Rather than being the standard by which others are measured, BF CLP is more aptly described as the lowest common denominator.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 5:12:25 AM EDT
[#17]
BF CLP has worked fine for me.
YMMV
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 6:56:57 AM EDT
[#18]
You guys are fans of a lubrication product that is mil-spec'd to have a flash point of 149F?  Seriously?

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Lubrication and cleaning products is one of the subjects here on this sight that is about garanteed to start a shitstorm.

I will mention that I have shot for years both individually,at clubs and in competitions and have developed a reputation of being somewhat of a problem solver when it comes to guns.

Any problem I have seen with reguards to rust or function of guns has little to do with the brand of the oil / cleaning product  and a whole lot
more to do with just not useing any product at all.

I will also mention that Breakfree CLP has worked well for me, is very easy to use (being both a cleaner and a lube/preservative and when bought in the pint or larger bottle is fairly economical.

From time to time I use other specialty products but I don't count that as a failure for CLP.

At times I have seen/heard/read someone claiming that product ABC does some single task better than BF CLP, I have no doubt that most of these folks honestly believe that and that is all fine and good-then use that product,thanks I might try ABC in the future but CLP has been pretty good.

The one thing I keep seeing in most every test I have seen is BF CLP is right up there at or near the top of the pile in some very hard corrision tests. This is of great importance to me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Lubrication and cleaning products is one of the subjects here on this sight that is about garanteed to start a shitstorm.

The one thing I keep seeing in most every test I have seen is BF CLP is right up there at or near the top of the pile in some very hard corrision tests. This is of great importance to me.

Agree 100% on the first point.  I don't know why that is the case, but it is.  It's like they solved the 9mm vs .45 debate and need something else to argue about.  

Regarding corrosion protection, I'm curious.  I have yet to see corrosion in any of my guns that have been properly cared for, whether they are AKs that shot corrosive ammo, or the daily carry pistol.  I live in a pretty humid environment.  With contemporary firearm finishes, I just don't see it being a problem like it used to be when you had to wipe off the slightest fingerprint from Grandpa's blued .38 before it rusted overnight.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You guys are fans of a lubrication product that is mil-spec'd to have a flash point of 149F?  Seriously?

????? You're not referring to CLP are you?

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#22]
I won't comment on good or bad. My preferences lie elsewhere. I can't use stinky crap around my wife due to asthma. I prefer products that don't require ventilation, and that don't warrant wearing gloves. When there is better stuff that is non-toxic, I don't use stuff that is toxic. Just no need.

Gunzilla - best cleaner I have found. It can sit in the barrels, and will strip out even lead with a tight patch after soaking. Reasonable lube, protectant, resists fouling very well, not sticky when dry, still slippery when dry.

Weapon Shield - best lube I have found, good protectant, not very good cleaner.

With those two I stopped using all the other stuff I have accumulated except -

Fluid Film - protection. Not a lube or a cleaner. Use for blue guns, long term, etc.

Mpro copper cleaner - does just that and can sit in barrels. Their bore cleaner and lube are also good-great (lube is a little too runny for me).

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Clp...good.

Hoppe's.....good.

Remoil, not for me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Got a bunch of spray bottles and various sized squirters when the armory did a date code change.

That was in 1989, I'm still using it with great success. Free is good. 1911s, M16s, 203s, M3 grease guns, M2, M60, M240, 4deuce mortar tubes, 105 MM tank cannons, all got cleaned and lubed with CLP. Good enough for me.

I do use Birchwood Casey bore cleaner, but I've never had an issue with CLP. BC to clean bore, CLP after to preserve. When I run out in 10 years I'll look into something else

I wear nitrile gloves to do any work involving chemicals or solvents. I  don't care if its got baby oil in it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#25]
AR's are simple.  

As a civvy, they don't even need cleaning that often.  You will find a lot of complete and utter bullshit about all kinds of "this oil is better than that oil" and the bottom line is for 90% of the people on this site, it doesn't matter.  Just wipe the crud out, and give it some lube in the important places.

That said, I have used CLP for the last 10 years.  It works great.  I have never had rust, or a lube related malfunction.  Sure, you can spend lots of money on a lot "better" cleaners and lubricants, that might or might not cause your gun to malfunction.... but why would you?  CLP makes your gun work the way it was intended.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Are you talking about breakfree clp? BF has a flashpoint of 270 F but it works well up to higher 400 F range.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I keep clp in my bag. Works great for quick cleanings when I'm out in the desert shooting. Hoppies, weapon shield, and tetra grease when I'm cleaning and lubing at home.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#28]
BF CLP will get it done fine for most everyone.

I prefer and have been using Weapon Shield (another brand of CLP).

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 6:52:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you talking about breakfree clp? BF has a flashpoint of 270 F but it works well up to higher 400 F range.

Oil that is smoking has already lost a good chunk of its beneficial properties, and smoke happens well before flash.  Smoke is a sign of the oil breaking down at the molecular level.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Howdy all,

AR15 noob, was looking at Walmart cleaning supplies and I saw Hoppes #9 cleaning solution and gun oil and CLP. Do I use one or the other (or both)?

Thanks much.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Howdy all,

AR15 noob, was looking at Walmart cleaning supplies and I saw Hoppes #9 cleaning solution and gun oil and CLP. Do I use one or the other (or both)?

Thanks much.

both.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Howdy all,

Thanks much.

Hoppes #9 Solvent is for cleaning - good for general cleaning, but not very aggresive on copper in the bore.

Hoppes #9 Lube is for lubrication - but it's simply mineral oil ... same thing as baby oil.  There are much better lubes out there.

BF CLP does both of those things (rather poorly); but also serves as a protectant, which is the one thing that it does fairly well.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 12:13:38 AM EDT
[#33]
I used lots of Break Free CLP, on my (well the USMC's to be truthfull) M16-A1 & M16-A2
and it worked pretty good.
But I found it would gum up in storage. and it is fairly expensive
Then I went to FP-10 and it worked very well, for lubricating, but it leaks out of the squeeze bottle
and it is fairly expensive.
Then I heard of folks using Mobil 1, with great results and I think, I buy 3-4 gallons of that each year
It lubes great, it doesn't dry out, it keeps rust off, and it makes cleaning any firearm a snap
Plus for gun purposes at least to me IT'S FREE because I already use it in my cars (i just collect the dregs in my micro oiler) with what clings to a 5 qt Gallon you can easily fill half a micro oiler bottle.
YMMV
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 1:35:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Good...no, fantastic.  It is ALL I use for all my firearms.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 1:52:43 AM EDT
[#35]
It is a SUPERB! corrosion protectant.
It is a very poor lube for the AR.
It is a poor/mediocre cleaner.
I use MPro-7 LPX, and it did just fine with just the initial application and no cleaning during a 16-1700 round carbine course spanning 3 days. No wiping, adding lube, nothing. Ran great. Got home and the bolt would still fully seat when gently dry-cycled. Here is how it looked after those three days:

Try that with Break-free CLP, and it won't turn out so well.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I use MPro-7 LPX, and it did just fine with just the initial application and no cleaning during a 16-1700 round carbine course spanning 3 days. No wiping, adding lube, nothing. Ran great. Got home and the bolt would still fully seat when gently dry-cycled. Here is how it looked after those three days:

http://i47.tinypic.com/34owpbd.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/34pxedu.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/jt40vp.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/21dq00i.jpg

I have done that plenty of times, and I use CLP.  But my bolt was drier than yours.  Other than that, zero failures.  Did it enough to finally burn out the chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

http://i47.tinypic.com/34owpbd.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/34pxedu.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/jt40vp.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/21dq00i.jpg

I can vouch for 12_guage He speaks the truth, and has done some extensive real world testing, and put his time in on quite a few lubes.
I know some here will say it's all 9mm vs 45 gibberish, but I have seen some not so great results with lubes myself on my personal firearms that have made me try a bunch of different lubes.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#38]
BF CLP is VERY GOOD STUFF. I buy it in the gallon jug and fill my smaller bottles... Been useing it for 27 years now....   It will serve you well. Wardawg
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#39]
I have been a Hoppes #9 user for as far back as I can remember. I recall when CLP's first hit the market. I am not a very smart individual but it never made sense to me to place a cleaner in the same bottle as a lubricant. One day I discovered that BreakFree could be had in a LP version without the cleaner. Light buld went off and from that day forward it is all I used, this and WeaponShield. About a year ago I had a couple weeks to kill and I decided to research the huge quantity of cleaners and lubes that we have to chose from today. This can be quite mind blowing when everyone claims to be the best thing since sliced bread. In the end, I decided that even though the Hoppes #9 and LP never let me down there were even better choices, I ended up switching everything in the aresonal over to Mil Comm products. I was impressed when the CEO himself took the time to answer and explain all my questions. The fact that this product was originally designed to lubricate the Gatling type guns that hang out of a helicopter was a good thing. Have you ever seen the river of brass that flies out of one of these in full auto? Impressive to say the least. If it could handle this type of weapon I was confident that it could take care of my needs. The fact that all the branches of the military have also approved Mil Comm products spoke volumes to me as well. The grease and oil are the same product just different viscosities. The syring applicators allows me to place minute amounts of the product exactly where I want it without wasting any of it. I purchased the syringes and the larger containers of each one to refill the syringes when needed. A little goes a long way with this stuff. Most important thing is to get all the old lubricants and cleaners off the firearm, this can be done with 95% rubbing alcohol. The longer you use it the better and smoother the firearm will perform. I have been very impressed with all their products. They are not cheap, but quality seldom is. I also prefer to keep motor oil in my motor where it belongs and was designed to be used. Flame suit on, YMMV, and that is fine with me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#40]
I used to swear by Breakfree, then I started reading about Pat Rogers and the crazy round counts they go through at the EAG training school. He gets the high counts with very little cleaning and Slip EWL before each range session. I gave slip products a try and while I still haven't stopped using Breakfree on my other guns. All my Ar rifles and my family's Ar rifles use Slip products only.

http://www.slip2000.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=S&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=60372

Buy this kit. it makes AR maintencie as easy as you can get.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have been a Hoppes #9 user for as far back as I can remember. I recall when CLP's first hit the market. I am not a very smart individual but it never made sense to me to place a cleaner in the same bottle as a lubricant. One day I discovered that BreakFree could be had in a LP version without the cleaner. Light buld went off and from that day forward it is all I used, this and WeaponShield. About a year ago I had a couple weeks to kill and I decided to research the huge quantity of cleaners and lubes that we have to chose from today. This can be quite mind blowing when everyone claims to be the best thing since sliced bread. In the end, I decided that even though the Hoppes #9 and LP never let me down there were even better choices, I ended up switching everything in the aresonal over to Mil Comm products. I was impressed when the CEO himself took the time to answer and explain all my questions. The fact that this product was originally designed to lubricate the Gatling type guns that hang out of a helicopter was a good thing. Have you ever seen the river of brass that flies out of one of these in full auto? Impressive to say the least. If it could handle this type of weapon I was confident that it could take care of my needs. The fact that all the branches of the military have also approved Mil Comm products spoke volumes to me as well. The grease and oil are the same product just different viscosities. The syring applicators allows me to place minute amounts of the product exactly where I want it without wasting any of it. I purchased the syringes and the larger containers of each one to refill the syringes when needed. A little goes a long way with this stuff. Most important thing is to get all the old lubricants and cleaners off the firearm, this can be done with 95% rubbing alcohol. The longer you use it the better and smoother the firearm will perform. I have been very impressed with all their products. They are not cheap, but quality seldom is. I also prefer to keep motor oil in my motor where it belongs and was designed to be used. Flame suit on, YMMV, and that is fine with me.

I love MilComm as a company. They are tops. What I don't like is teflon in a high-heat situation and around combusting gunpowder. Further, when I go all "white glove" I use gun-scrubber, and if you ever try to gun-scrubber TW25B, you're in for an ugly surprise compared to other products.

That said, it's a great lube, I just don't prefer it for the AR.

As to SLIP 2000 EWL, I want something with corrosion prevention, all of the EWL tests I have seen show it actually enhancing corrosion.

I've become a big MPro-7 LPX fan. It seems to perform similar to SLIP2000 products, but with great corrosion protection.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If limited to using a 3-in-1 type of product, then I'd much rather use G-96 Synthetic CLP.

Beyond that, and as you indicated, when compared to other dedicated lubricants, cleaners and/or protectants, BF CLP is typically found lacking, with the possible exception of the rust preventative category.

Would I use it if it were the only thing available?  Sure.  But there are plenty of other superior options to choose from ... so I don't.

Rather than being the standard by which others are measured, BF CLP is more aptly described as the lowest common denominator.

G-96 smells a hell of a lot better to boot.  Doubles a cologne (my wife loves it)  
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

G-96 smells a hell of a lot better to boot.  Doubles a cologne (my wife loves it)  

G96 performed worse in every test I subjected it to than MPro-7 LPX, it evaporated/gummed up sooner in the oven, it didn't protect against rust as well, but I have not yet used it in live-fire.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

G96 performed worse in every test I subjected it to than MPro-7 LPX, it evaporated/gummed up sooner in the oven, it didn't protect against rust as well, but I have not yet used it in live-fire.

Sarcasm brother, sarcasm....  
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Good, never has failed for 20 years +.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Good, never has failed for 20 years +.

If something has worked for you for 20 years and you are happy with it then all the empirical data in the world is meaningless to you maybe. Rock on...because it's working!
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love MilComm as a company. They are tops. What I don't like is teflon in a high-heat situation and around combusting gunpowder. Further, when I go all "white glove" I use gun-scrubber, and if you ever try to gun-scrubber TW25B, you're in for an ugly surprise compared to other products.

As to SLIP 2000 EWL, I want something with corrosion prevention, all of the EWL tests I have seen show it actually enhancing corrosion.

I've become a big MPro-7 LPX fan. It seems to perform similar to SLIP2000 products, but with great corrosion protection.

I can't see my AR getting any hotter than the military weapons it is used on. Some times we fear things that simply aren't true. If the gun suddenly bursting into flames after using the lube was a real possibility I doubt the military would still be using it.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#48]
I have a noob question regarding CLP.  What is the difference between the aerosol BF CLP and the BF CLP people buy in gallons and place into squirt bottles?  Other than the obvious I just stated.  (Aerosol vs non aerosol)
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't see my AR getting any hotter than the military weapons it is used on. Some times we fear things that simply aren't true. If the gun suddenly bursting into flames after using the lube was a real possibility I doubt the military would still be using it.

I've smoked CLP off of weapons before easily. LPX takes a LOT of work to get to smoke off of a weapon, and when it does, it just kindof dries/evaporates, not the billowing smoke that CLP gives off. If nothing else, it's more pleasant to be around when you get the weapon hot.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Good lube and rust protector for me.

I use other stuff to clean.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top