Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/13/2002 11:21:55 AM EDT
Last week I accepted delivery of the black rifle that I have always wanted.  I had the opportunity to buy one in 1991 at an upstate NY sporting goods store for $600 - that was nearly 12 years ago and I have been regretting it ever since - until recently that is...

It's a new, never been fired, pre 1994 assault weapons ban Colt AR-15 model R6530 (serial number SL008XXX) with a new Colt M4 collapsible stock.  It's beautiful in every respect and I'm looking forward to a lifetime of enjoyment from it.  Although an on-again, off-again shooter in the past, this the first firearm I have owned.

I was hoping that some of the esteemed members of the group who are familiar with breaking in such a barrel would be willing to share their methodology.  I have been told not to go near the barrel with a brush of any kind - only
patches - dry as well as with copper solvent.  I've also been told there is no specific break-in routine required.  I'd like to get this clarified.

With reference to any special considerations prior to shooting - are there any precautions I should take or tasks I should perform before I fire it the first time?  Are there any products that you recommend for caring for the rifle?  Do you have any particular recommendations for ongoing maintenance?

Any pointers are appreciated.  Thanx!

- Brian
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Based on your description its a fully chrome lined barrel.  The standard break in procedure is as follows (I am paraphrasing the oft repeated message):

Just shoot the darn thing!

That is all it needs - round down range - a good 200-300 will suffice - then clean the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Step 1 Clean liberally with CLP.

Step 2 Fire 200 rounds.

Step 3 Clean liberally with CLP.

Your rifle is now broken in.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 1:01:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not err on the side of caution? Shot one rd, clean the bore with a wet patch, run dry patches until they're clean. Shoot another rd, repeat. Do so for about 10rds.

Will it make a difference? Maybe, maybe not. But if it does you'll thank yourself.

As for a brush just never use a stainless steel brush. Bronze brushes are ok, the new "tornado" brushes are best.

My .o2
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not esteemed, but I picked up my Bushmaster XM15 E2S A3 24" National Match two weeks ago and had a similar question. The Tech at Bushmaster said the same thing as Forest, shoot 200-300 rounds, then clean. This will polish out the chrome to a very
highly reflective finish, as opposed to the dull grey of new. Any cleaning before that will prolong the break-in procedure. Remember though, this is ONLY for Chrome lined barrels. One more thing, try to keep the barrel heat down at first, don't rip off the rounds too fast. At least until you reach the 300 break-in amount of rounds! I hope this helps.
"Popeye"
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top