Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/15/2006 6:22:23 PM EDT
I was just at Academy looking for some el-cheapo ammo for my SKS, and I noticed that they had a funny looking box that was priced higher in the .223 section.  I open it only to see that Monarch has since come out with a brassed cased .223 soft point.  I was thinking holy crap, just under $7.00 for some brass cased jacketed soft points.

Looking on the stock rack, I also noticed that they had this ammo in 7.62x39, .308, and 30-06.

Anyone ever try the brass cased Monarch?  Is this new stuff or am I way behind the times?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Same story here, I'd also like to hear of any experiences with this ammo. I bought one box to try out. I was there looking for some more q3131 and was told it was special purchase ammo with sporadic availibilaty .
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#2]
This ammo is made in Serbia - by Prvi Partizan.  It carries the same "nny" headstamp as the newly imported Wolf M193.

I have a buddy with a new Stag 16" M4 - he shot it just fine, no issues.

Much like the new Wolf M193 from the same plant - I found the Monarch soft points to short stroke in my 20" Bushmaster when it was dry and dirty.  I did not shoot a lot or chrono this load.  We were using the Monarch brass cased soft points.

Basically - if your weapon will run on Wolf Russian steel cased ammo, it will likely run on this stuff.  However, it is still "second tier" IMHO behind domestic alternatives that have proven to be more reliable, and hotter muzzle velocities.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This ammo is made in Serbia - by Prvi Partizan.  It carries the same "nny" headstamp as the newly imported Wolf M193.

I have a buddy with a new Stag 16" M4 - he shot it just fine, no issues.

Much like the new Wolf M193 from the same plant - I found the Monarch soft points to short stroke in my 20" Bushmaster when it was dry and dirty.  I did not shoot a lot or chrono this load.  We were using the Monarch brass cased soft points.

Basically - if your weapon will run on Wolf Russian steel cased ammo, it will likely run on this stuff.  However, it is still "second tier" IMHO behind domestic alternatives that have proven to be more reliable, and hotter muzzle velocities.

Is it as dirty as the steel cased monarch?  I found that my SKS and AK were their dirtiest after shooting Monarch ammo.  Accurate but dirty.

As for my AR-15s, I am an ammo snob and refuse to shoot steel cased ammo through it.  I know I could be saving money, but I stick with what works:  Q3131 and SS109

I will just pass on this particular brand of Monarch Ammo all together.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is it as dirty as the steel cased monarch?  I found that my SKS and AK were their dirtiest after shooting Monarch ammo.  Accurate but dirty.

Since my weapon was filthy, I dont know.  In any case, I really cannot tell THAT much difference in "dirtiness" off different ammo, without firing about 1000 rounds.... and quite frankly, I dont care how dirty it is if it shoots good and is cheap.  

As for my AR-15s, I am an ammo snob and refuse to shoot steel cased ammo through it.  I know I could be saving money, but I stick with what works:  Q3131 and SS109

Wow.  I would at least try it.  If Wolf steel case ran 100% in my guns, that is all I would shoot.  I am praying when they make good on the 100fps increase, that it will run in all my stuff.  

Why the snob factor?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow.  I would at least try it.  If Wolf steel case ran 100% in my guns, that is all I would shoot.  I am praying when they make good on the 100fps increase, that it will run in all my stuff.  

Why the snob factor?

I saw the aftermath of Wolf in a non-chrome lined chamber and barrel at a local gun shop.  The smith had one bitch of a time cleaning that lacquer out of the chamber.  He mentioned something about using a drill, cleaning rod, and barrel brush to remove all the gunk.  I don't know the story behind how the chamber got that way, but it was probably due to poor cleaning techniques by the gun's owner. Regardless, I did not want to chance it with any of my AR-15s.  

One of these days I may try some Wolf .223 in my ARs just to see if it short strokes or not.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Wolf no longer uses lacquer - and most of those lacquer build up stories were BS.  I would shoot 1000's of them and my cleaning routine would not be any different than Q3131A.

But definitely, to each their own.  Best to make *informed* decisions.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Wolf no longer uses lacquer - and most of those lacquer build up stories were BS.  I would shoot 1000's of them and my cleaning routine would not be any different than Q3131A.

But definitely, to each their own.  Best to make *informed* decisions.

I will need to bum some Wolf rounds off of someone at the range next time I go.  I am concerned that purchasing a case without knowing if it will shoot in my rifles may end up being a waste of money.

You have convinced me to give it a try!  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top