Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 1:43:13 PM EDT
I shot my 2 identical M4geries today for the first time and they ran perfect.

They are configured exactly the same with BCM M4 16" Carbine & M16 Carriers.

I noticed the brass marks on the deflectors were significantly different between the two.

What does this tell me about the action?    Is there anything I can adjust?

As Dave Letterman says "Is this anything?"  or am I really anal?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you can probably tune it some so you can have twin brass deflection marks and your AR's will be perfectly in sync with each other at the risk of screwing the action up. But seriously, not something I would worry about, but then again, WTF do I know?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't mess with anything. They aren't supposed to have identical brass deflection marks. A lot of variables come in to play with how brass hits the deflector. Some brass doesn't even touch the deflector.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I disagree, I think the first one has a serious issue and needs to be trashed right away as it is unsafe. Send it to me and I will make sure it is disposed of correctly.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Ahhhh…….wait till they start looking like my M4gery’s ejection port!

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, I guess I'm ANAL.

I always just want to understand exactly how my rifles are functioning.

I was shooting XM193 with plenty of power, so the brass had ample rearward velocity.

We'll see how it changes over time and with different loads.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
"they ran perfect."

All you need to know.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#7]
You have to remember that not every chamber is identical-they are within specs, but there is a range, albeit small. The ejector, ejector spring, extractor, buffer, gas tube, etc all are slightly different and each little difference affects ejection angles. They look fine to me.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

www.hunt101.com/img/389245.jpg

That one's just getting warmed up. Oddly, my older Bushmaster looks like that, but my Colt that I've only had for a year is way more "worn" looking than that. Kind of gives it that "well broken in" look. The wear patterns vary with ammo and extractor tension.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Look at your expended brass and see if one of these leaves a dent on the shoulder. I have one that does and one that doesn't.  It doesn't bother me but I've seen posts where some people get concerned about it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Use electrical tape
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

My bushy also looks like that but much worse.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My bushy also looks like that but much worse.

Both of mine look like that!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

hey! where did you get my M4orgery?!? I thought I locked it up
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, I gotta ask, how many of you guys really use electrical tape or something like it to cover the brass deflector? Or, are you kidding? I can't tell.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I do, I carry two rolls in the range bag
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:33:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ok, I gotta ask, how many of you guys really use electrical tape or something like it to cover the brass deflector? Or, are you kidding? I can't tell.

No kidding, some guys actually do use elec tape!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:49:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
. The wear patterns vary with ammo and extractor tension.

Absolutely right  and the softer the extractor spring, the more smearing  (and ultimately finish wear) you'll get.  Solution?  Either Colt or Wolff HD extractor springs

My M4gery ends up w/a very slight smearing right at the outer tip of the deflector after a day out. Wipes right off w/a CLP soaked patch.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:56:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You have to remember that not every chamber is identical-they are within specs, but there is a range, albeit small. The ejector, ejector spring, extractor, buffer, gas tube, etc all are slightly different and each little difference affects ejection angles. They look fine to me.

That, thanegrooms IS the reason why you have two different brassmark patterns! Good job on the answer Gmountain!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top