Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 12:06:55 PM EDT
Getting ready to degrease a couple of guns and was wondering if brake cleaner would harm any surfaces that were painted?

Thanx - BD1
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of paint?  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Similarly, what about brake cleaner on the anodized surfaces of the AR?  No ill effects or anything?  All I need to degreasing, etc. is just any generic nonchlorinated brake cleaner for Auto Zone or the like?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't do it. I've heard horror stories about people that have used it on Arsenal AK's and it took the paint off.
As far as the AR is concerned I have to go over the finish with an oily rag after using it because it makes the finish look crappy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wouldn't do it. I've heard horror stories about people that have used it on Arsenal AK's and it took the paint off.
As far as the AR is concerned I have to go over the finish with an oily rag after using it because it makes the finish look crappy.

Will do, but it's fine to blast down all the metal on the AR with brake cleaner?  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#5]
It won't hurt steel or aluminum, and it won't hurt blueing, parking, or anodizing.  It will take off some paints.  The AR will look whitish when you get done, because you've sucked all the oils out of it.  Wipe it down with CLP and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Chlorinated Brake Cleaner will ruin most paints.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top