Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 4:20:27 AM EDT
How well does the 22 cal Boresnake work in a rifle?
How long do they measure usually?

I know over-cleaning can destroy a bore, so my plan was just to run the boresnake after each range session and maybe apply some CLP or Militec-1 to the bolt.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:26:28 AM EDT
They are a quick easy method to keeping your bore clean. I think they are fine as far as wear goes as they are just like any other copper brush. The long braded materiel "swabs" things out nicely. Run one through a time or two after each range trip does not strike me as over cleaning at all. Use them they work fine.

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:28:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:33:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 4:34:01 AM EDT by metroplex]
I will definitely do the search on Militec now that you mention it. I got a whole bunch of free samples from them and it worked "OK" on my VEPR K, but it did fail miserably in corrosion protection... that's why I have CLP and ATF (Dex3/Merc, for the VEPR K)

I'm not sure I want to replace a regular rod/jag/brush combination with the boresnake, but having multiple cleaning rods and multiple jags/brushes/breech guides doesn't make things any easier either.

Would I run into reliability issues if I just used a boresnake for the AR15? I only shoot single loads (1 rd in a mag at a time) never bump fire/rapid fire.

I have my 30 cal brush and jag set that I could use for the chamber.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:41:50 AM EDT
Yeah.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:03:23 AM EDT
Love mine
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:05:04 AM EDT
love it
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:07:52 AM EDT
Boresnakes yes. Militec no.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:59:14 AM EDT
I don't see how running an increasingly dirty bore snake down the bore is good.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:04:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bigkracka:
I don't see how running an increasingly dirty bore snake down the bore is good.

It's magic.

The anal retentive DO have options at their disposal:

boresnakes are machine washable (however a certain LEO was nearly killed by his wife for doing so had he not been able to clean the ecological disaster that was left in the wake of the cleaning).

You can also buy 2 or 3. The dirtiest takes the brunt. the Next picks up the remainder and the last polishes. Later pitch the dirty, buy a new one and demote the other 1 or 2.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:13:01 AM EDT
Just blast the boresnake off with disc break cleaner every once in a while. no biggie.

Another 'use em' vote.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:23:42 AM EDT
As for using solvent on the snake... if its cotton you should be able to wash it off using a quality detergent. I was thinking about soaking it in some type of dishwashing soap in a bucket.

From a cost standpoint, it's only $12-$13 each. A quality cleaning rod, breech guide, bore brush, jag can run up to about $30-$40 plus the cost of patches ($3/250 or so). But for me it'd be a PITA to lug around a 36" cleaning rod or even store one at home.

Thanks for the mini-reviews!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:37:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:41:17 AM EDT
Boresnake works good for a fast cleanup of the bore. I also use mine to clean up before I dissemble

my weapon for a good scrubbing. I would use it as my only means of cleaning my rifle's barrel.

My $.02
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:43:14 AM EDT
I wash mine in a pickle jar with some tide and hot water - unfortunately they haven't been holding up as well as C4s... seems mine do well to survive a year before they catch a snag somewhere and start to unravel.

I've also been running slightly oversized boresnakes and have been pleased with the results (using a .40 in a 9mm or a .243 in my AR). It seems to clean quite icely and quite quickly as well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:07:51 AM EDT

I've also been running slightly oversized boresnakes and have been pleased with the results (using a .40 in a 9mm or a .243 in my AR). It seems to clean quite icely and quite quickly as well.

Is that why they're unraveling?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:00:41 AM EDT
Using a snake, do you put the solvent in the bore or on the snake?

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:12:18 AM EDT
CLP lightly on the snake. Thats how I do it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:15:07 AM EDT
I carry one in my molle vest for use on my M4A1
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:47:01 AM EDT
oversize? i can barely pull the .30 through my .300!

1 pass. solvent on the 1st 6", clp on the last 2"

straight in the wash
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:53:50 AM EDT
Do you guys that use boresnakes a lot do a more thorough cleaning with solvent and patches later on ever? What about copper build up? Just wondering. Right now I just use a boresnake on my .22 LR with the brushes removed and another for my shotguns.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:56:20 AM EDT
Any problems using one with Sweet's 7.62?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:03:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:27:47 AM EDT
I used one for the first time at Camp Perry this past summer (2004) I picked one up after talking to Frank White about them. He told me the AMU has some shooters that use bore-snakes. I only cleaned between the 300 and 600 yard lines. (I use different powder for my short line load vs. my mid-range loads)

I shot a 99-4X at the 600 with no sighters. hrough.
I don't believe the bore-snake is any substitute for a good one piece cleaning rod, new brushes and modern cleaning solvents, but for a quick clean they do the job.

K

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:22:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By metroplex:

Is that why they're unraveling?

Possible that this might affect wear; but so far the two that unravelled were the correct size (one .22 and one 9mm). The two outsize boresnakes (.40 and .243) are still doing fine.

I originally bought the .40 because I was at a pistol class and had fired a little over 1,000 rounds in a class and discovered at the end of the day that I didn't have my 9mm snake with me. The pro shop only had .40 and I figured that would do. However, it worked so well in the 9mm that when the .223 snake wore out I decided to move up to .243.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:49:25 PM EDT
Thanks for the tip! I'll keep that in my shooting logs.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:19:31 PM EDT
Boresnake? I love them, got one in just about every caliber I shoot!

Best thing since sliced bread!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:19:41 PM EDT
I use bore snakes exclusively and have had no problems. Every once in a while I will run a patch through after snaking to see if the snake is leaving anything behind, and it always comes out as clean as it went in. I use RemOil and RemOil bore solvent.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:29:45 PM EDT
i just got one a few weeks ago and i love it! it cuts cleaning time in half!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:53:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:

I'm going to try that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:07:36 PM EDT
I have a boresnake in every caliber. Great aftershooting quickie clean at the range kinda thing.

I wash mine every now and then and when they get ratty, buy a new one.

I only wish there was an easy way to clean the barrel extension and chamber!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:25:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MrPink:

I only wish there was an easy way to clean the barrel extension and chamber!

Chamber brush
section of cleaning rod
DeWalt cordless drill
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:53:35 PM EDT
I think the boresnakes would be much more useful if they allowed for replaceable brushes. Brushes wear out, no way around it, and when the brush on the boresnake wears out, you gotta replace the whole thing, even though the "rope" part has plenty of life left. Or at least you do if you want the functionality of the brush - they still seem to work OK for a quick cleaning with the brush worn down, but not quite as good.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:55:43 PM EDT
My son's friend is a USMC Reservist who saw us using them at the range just before he shipped out for the Sandbox. When he saw how easy to use, light and compact they were, I gave him one gratis, and he told all of his USMC buddies about them.

I understand they cleaned out the stocks of several local dealers just before shipping out, and company officers and noncoms had no issues with their having them.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:16:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rocko:
I think the boresnakes would be much more useful if they allowed for replaceable brushes. Brushes wear out, no way around it, and when the brush on the boresnake wears out, you gotta replace the whole thing, even though the "rope" part has plenty of life left. Or at least you do if you want the functionality of the brush - they still seem to work OK for a quick cleaning with the brush worn down, but not quite as good.

Rocko, I've often thought about this one...Personally I have just never felt that constantly using a brush on a barrel is good for it in the first place, I may be wrong, hell, you may be able to wear out 100 brushes on a barrel with no ill effects, but if my gut feelings are right, then a half wore out brush isan't all that bad...I've thought about removing the brushes all together on a few snakes so that I could really pull that snake back and forth to shine 'er up... Just a thought.

Boresnakes? The only way to fly!

~Crpdeth
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:33:44 PM EDT
Do you guys that use boresnakes a lot do a more thorough cleaning with solvent and patches later on ever? What about copper build up? Just wondering. Right now I just use a boresnake on my .22 LR with the brushes removed and another for my shotguns.I pass my boresnake after every 50 rounds. Then when I'm done shooting for the day, I clean the barrel thoroughly at home using patches, etc. I’ve only used boresnakes on my Bolt Action rifles. I’m an accuracy fanatic with my Bolt Action rifles. My M16 waits until I’m finished with my shooting before it gets cleaned at home.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:43:51 PM EDT
Been using a bore snake for 5 years in my AR cleans fine and no build up but I also clean after I fire it.Chrome lining im sure makes it easier but like on my 1911 if I let it sit I have to use a bore brush first then the snake,but I love them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:48:50 PM EDT
I HATE cleaning, so I LOVE my boresnakes. Just got two more today from Brownells.

My old one is pretty well used by now. It works but the bristles are almost worn out. Still, it works well for solvent or oil. Like someone mentioned, I could use a new one to scrub the bore, and the old one to finish up and oil.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:56:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By metroplex:
As for using solvent on the snake... if its cotton you should be able to wash it off using a quality detergent. I was thinking about soaking it in some type of dishwashing soap in a bucket.

Stick to regular laundry dertergent it is much stronger than just about anything else you can buy without a HAZMAT license. It also works as a great degreasing agent for parts as long as you dry them off immediately when done.

BTW I use my boresnake for regular after range cleaning for my AR. Usually whenever I do any work to it I do an all around groom when done and use my otis cleaning kit for a more in depth job.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:42:01 PM EDT
I have them for 9mm, .45, .223, and 12g. I don't bother to use anything else!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:47:12 PM EDT
once you go boresnake, you'll never go back to a rod, ever.

But get the genuine "boresnake" brand, the cheap wal-mart imitations just aren't made as well and don't work as well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:54:20 PM EDT
Boresnake = diggin' it. I don't have near the experience that others that have responded do, but at carbine qualification last week, I was done with cleaning before the majority of others, some of which began before I did.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:13:29 AM EDT
Is Hoppes the original maker of the Boresnake? That's the one I ordered from Midway.
Top Top