Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2013 5:23:26 PM EDT
Looking to get a decent quality laser bore sight, the kind that goes in the chamber for a .223 / 5.56.

Anyone have any suggestions for a brand?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking to get a decent quality laser bore sight, the kind that goes in the chamber for a .223 / 5.56.

Anyone have any suggestions for a brand?

Thanks!
View Quote

I did not have any luck with bullet type that go in the chamber they were not accurate. Every time you chambered it you would get a different point of impact.
I finally got a good one that goes in the bore, I had sitelite custom make me one with the longer shaft & dual 5.56 o rings that the military uses & it is DEAD on every time.
I wish I would of spent my money for a good one to begin with because I spent more on junk units.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I have not used a bore sighting tool in years.  Pull the upper off and BCG out at the range and sand bag the upper to immobilize it after you find the bullseye down the bore with your eye.  Then adjust your scope/dot sight to the same point you see down the bore and you are bore sighted...for free.  I do it at 100 yards and it's always on paper and a quick zero from there.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have not used a bore sighting tool in years.  Pull the upper off and BCG out at the range and sand bag the upper to immobilize it after you find the bullseye down the bore with your eye.  Then adjust your scope/dot sight to the same point you see down the bore and you are bore sighted...for free.  I do it at 100 yards and it's always on paper and a quick zero from there.
View Quote

+1.

It's built into the gun. Most bolt actions too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

+1.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.

And it works fantastic. Much better than any laser that you have to use at night to even see at those distances.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

great idea, thank you!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Site-Lite that I have tried using 6 or 7 times.  I always wind up centering my scope and starting from scratch whenever I try to use it.  Just mechanically center your scope or red dot, and start your zero at 25 yards to get on paper.  Then move to your desired zeroing distance.  Don't waste your money.

Even with the longer rod, the "centering" o-rings, and the magnetic cone, the thing moves around enough that you can never tell when you are truly centered.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a Site-Lite that I have tried using 6 or 7 times.  I always wind up centering my scope and starting from scratch whenever I try to use it.  Just mechanically center your scope or red dot, and start your zero at 25 yards to get on paper.  Then move to your desired zeroing distance.  Don't waste your money.

Even with the longer rod, the "centering" o-rings, and the magnetic cone, the thing moves around enough that you can never tell when you are truly centered.
View Quote

How did you get the longer rod? Sitelite said I was the first civilian to special order one.  Do you have a military issued unit? Mine does not move, you can put it in the rifle turn the rifle upside down & shake it as hard as you want & it won't move but I have the military version with the longer rod & stronger magnet. I also use mine when installing barrels to set mechanical zero to prevent a canted FSB. The issue you have with your sitelite are odd because I have 2 and my small $99 one I use for my handguns don't have the problem your has. You can insert the sitelite in the barrel & rotate it 360 degrees & the point of impact will not change. I would send it back to sitelite because it sounds like you either are not using it properly or is damaged, they have a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How did you get the longer rod? Sitelite said I was the first civilian to special order one.  Do you have a military issued unit? Mine does not move, you can put it in the rifle turn the rifle upside down & shake it as hard as you want & it won't move but I have the military version with the longer rod & stronger magnet. I also use mine when installing barrels to set mechanical zero to prevent a canted FSB. The issue you have with your sitelite are odd because I have 2 and my small $99 one I use for my handguns don't have the problem your has. You can insert the sitelite in the barrel & rotate it 360 degrees & the point of impact will not change. I would send it back to sitelite because it sounds like you either are not using it properly or is damaged, they have a lifetime warranty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not talking about a specialized longer rod.  The Site-Lite rod is longer than other brands that I have seen, and it has multiple o-rings, and it has a magnetic base, which most do not.  I can also spin mine and the dot doesn't move around, but if you put pressure in any direction it moves.  If it is pointing in the wrong direction, you can spin the thing all you want, and no matter how stable the laser is, it is still pointing in the wrong direction.

My point is, you can accomplish the exact same thing bore sighters do by starting off at a shorter distance to get on paper, then go from there.  There is absolutely zero reason to spend any money on one.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I am not talking about a specialized longer rod.  The Site-Lite rod is longer than other brands that I have seen, and it has multiple o-rings, and it has a magnetic base, which most do not.  I can also spin mine and the dot doesn't move around, but if you put pressure in any direction it moves.  If it is pointing in the wrong direction, you can spin the thing all you want, and no matter how stable the laser is, it is still pointing in the wrong direction.

My point is, you can accomplish the exact same thing bore sighters do by starting off at a shorter distance to get on paper, then go from there.  There is absolutely zero reason to spend any money on one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I zero a lot of rifles & have saved 100's of rounds using the sitelite to zero, that is a good reason. With the ballistic program I can set my zero at 100-500 yards & be on paper with 1 shot. That sounds like a good reason to me.  I have saved more money then what I paid for the sitelite, so it is not a waste of money it has actually saved me money.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I zero a lot of rifles & have saved 100's of rounds using the sitelite to zero, that is a good reason. With the ballistic program I can set my zero at 100-500 yards & be on paper with 1 shot. That sounds like a good reason to me.  I have saved more money then what I paid for the sitelite, so it is not a waste of money it has actually saved me money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the specialized rod you spent extra money ordering?  How many rounds were you wasting sighting in to begin with, that you have saved hundreds of rounds?  I take two shots at 25 yards.  One to see where it shoots, one to verify my changes are closer to the bullseye.

The average person will not sight in that many rifles in their lifetime, that they will recoup the cost of a Site-Lite bore sighter in saved rounds.  Especially if you simply look down the bore and get a rough alignment with your optic.  If you desire the crutch, good for you.  The average person shouldn't waste the money.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

With the specialized rod you spent extra money ordering?  How many rounds were you wasting sighting in to begin with, that you have saved hundreds of rounds?  I take two shots at 25 yards.  One to see where it shoots, one to verify my changes are closer to the bullseye.

The average person will not sight in that many rifles in their lifetime, that they will recoup the cost of a Site-Lite bore sighter in saved rounds.  Especially if you simply look down the bore and get a rough alignment with your optic.  If you desire the crutch, good for you.  The average person shouldn't waste the money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last week when My buddy came over & we zeroed his new scope on his 50 cal he said I saved him $50 in ammo. You are right if somebody wants to zero 1 rifle 1 time then it would be best to just use $10 in ammo to zero it but I use mine a lot & I like the fact I can confirm zero before going on a hunt without firing a shot. Ammo is expensive especially when you get to some of the bigger hunting caliber's, probably won't save much money zeroing a 22 though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Last week when My buddy came over & we zeroed his new scope on his 50 cal he said I saved him $50 in ammo. You are right if somebody wants to zero 1 rifle 1 time then it would be best to just use $10 in ammo to zero it but I use mine a lot & I like the fact I can confirm zero before going on a hunt without firing a shot. Ammo is expensive especially when you get to some of the bigger hunting caliber's, probably won't save much money zeroing a 22 though.
View Quote

Who cares what he said?  At $2 a round, $50 is 25 rounds that he would have wasted getting on paper??????????????  That just means he can't shoot.  It doesn't mean he needed a bore sighter.  Even at 10 rifles, the average person is not going to save enough money to recoup their costs unless they are wasting ammo to begin with.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Who cares what he said?  At $2 a round, $50 is 25 rounds that he would have wasted getting on paper??????????????  That just means he can't shoot.  It doesn't mean he needed a bore sighter.  Even at 10 rifles, the average person is not going to save enough money to recoup their costs unless they are wasting ammo to begin with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

50 cal is $40-50 for 10 rounds.  Did I say to get on paper or to zero, two different things. When you zero you just get it on paper than stop there? Most riffles get zeroed more than 1 time in there life.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And it works fantastic. Much better than any laser that you have to use at night to even see at those distances.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.

^^^This is the only advice you need. Save your money.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

50 cal is $40-50 for 10 rounds.  Did I say to get on paper or to zero, two different things. When you zero you just get it on paper than stop there? Most riffles get zeroed more than 1 time in there life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes NO FUCKING sense.  The purpose of a ANY bore sight, whether it is a laser, a reflector, or whether you are simply looking down the barrel, is to make sure your optic is in the vicinity on that first shot.  There is no bore sight that will ever finish zeroing your firearm for you.  Even the paperwork states you should never attempt to rely on the zero from a bore sighter for anything other than getting on paper at a starting distance.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That makes NO FUCKING sense.  The purpose of a ANY bore sight, whether it is a laser, a reflector, or whether you are simply looking down the barrel, is to make sure your optic is in the vicinity on that first shot.  There is no bore sight that will ever finish zeroing your firearm for you.  Even the paperwork states you should never attempt to rely on the zero from a bore sighter for anything other than getting on paper at a starting distance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea I know how a bore site works, apparently you don't because mine works fine. Your are the one that is having problems using one. Which is common sense. I get on paper with 1 shoot at 100-500 yards ever time then It only takes a couple rounds to tighten it up. That in turn saves ammo which saves money & as expensive as ammo is if you can't understand that then I can't help you & by the way 50 cal is $4-5 a round so if we saved 10 rounds zeroing his new scope then yes he saved $50 1 time using the boresighter not to mention every rifle I built is set a perfect mechanical zero. If you save ammo using a boresite than that saves you money & if you can't understand that something is wrong with you, don't take my word there are reviews all over the internet were people said the HAVE saved money buy using the boresite to zero the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been getting very good results with a cheap cartridge shaped bore sighter that I purchased on eBay for $10. I measure the distance from the center pof the scope to the center of the bore. Then I just set the scope crosshairs to that position exactly above the laser dot at 30 or so yards. Say the scope center is 3" above the laser bore dot. I just adjust to that position (and center it ) Have been on paper every time at 100 yds.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a site lite. I highly recommend it.

The most important part of a laser is software. Does it have software so you can zero the rifle with your barrel, load, optic sight, etc.

Site Lite

You insert the end into your barrel and it stays in with a magnet. As long as you lube the site lite it won't harm your barrel.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a site lite. I highly recommend it.

The most important part of a laser is software. Does it have software so you can zero the rifle with your barrel, load, optic sight, etc.

Site Lite

You insert the end into your barrel and it stays in with a magnet. As long as you lube the site lite it won't harm your barrel.
View Quote

With the sitelite and the ballistic program I can Get on paper setting my zero up to 500 yards depending on the purpose of the rifle with 1 shoot. Doing it the old way like some people suggested is just WASTING money. Over my lifetime every time I changed out a scope or zeroed a new rifle or re-zeroed I did it the old way & I wish I had all the ammo I WASTED. Even with 5.56 at .50 cents a round 20 rounds is $10.00 and some of my hunting calibers are WAY more. Somebody that did not know what the were talking about & don't even know how to use one said there is no reason to have one so I made a list with some VERY good reasons.

#1 Saves money, Set your zero up to 500 yards & get on paper in one bullet.
#2 Ballistic program, Enter caliber, bullet weight, Height of sights or optic & other info & you will print a target that compensate for bullet drop to zero.
#3 Crosshair leveler, Makes it simple to level the scope reticle.
#4 Confirm zero, You can confirm your zero has not changed without wasting ammo or alerting animals.
#5 FSB canting, I use mine when building to set perfect mechinical zero.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#20]
When I DO use a bore sight, my only expectation is that it reduces or eliminates my adjustments for windage but still requires final elevation adjustments.  Don't expect miracles.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top