Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2006 2:19:04 PM EDT
I am looking for a good list of books written on the AR15.  I am really looking more for information regarding the functional deployment of the ar15 weapon system, a little history thrown in would be welcome however.  Books on the engineering behind the weapon, tactical carbine books, marksmanship manuals, anything and everything related to the ar15 I want to put it on the list.  Any info would be appreciated.

EV
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#2]
For history and research, the Black Rifle books are the best.  Both are entirely independent  (II isn't an updated version of I).  These books are about 90% pictures if that's what you're looking for:

"The Black Rifle" by Stevens/Ezell:  History and development up to 1987.  A lot of good info for retro builds.

"Black Rifle II" by Bartocci:  Continuation of development from 1987 on.  Good stuff for SPR, recce type builds and M4 stuff.  Also a good section about forge codes and markings that goes all the way back.  Covers the Colt Sporter rifles as well.

For general information, the "AR15 Sourcebook" by Duncan Long isn't too bad.  It covers a lot of the history, but also how to assemble/disassembly the entire rifle.  There is a newer 2nd edition, but it is still getting pretty dated concerning accessories, etc.  There are probably better general info books out there nowadays, but I don't have any.

For tactics, I like "The Book of Two Guns" by Tiger McKee, but the ones mentioned above are good as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Get the manual by Jim Crews. Its awesome!

www.marksmans.com/sys-tmpl/carbinetrainingmanual/
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#4]
The new one by mr. Sweeney: The Book of The AR15 is good. It covers all the angles.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top