Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/18/2002 3:28:51 PM EDT
I have a model 6450 that literally eats the bolt catch. I have gone through 5 of them in a very short period of time. They always break at the pin. I always replace them with ones from other Colt rifles. HELP!! It's getting expensive!!

Link Posted: 11/18/2002 6:27:38 PM EDT
It sounds like your bolt release slot(top of upper) is enlarged or milled oversize. When the bolt comes to rest(slammed) against the catch, the pressure should be against the front of the slot, not torque at the pin.

Also, you may want to check the insert pin the limits the catch travel, yours may be missing, or the pin too short/hole drilled too deep and allowing your catch to ride to high. This would cause the catch to ride higher than the slot and could exsplain the reason that you are snapping bolt catches.

Your best bet would be to mic the upper slot and spring pin, then see if you can order a replacement bolt catch that is just slightly smaller than your receiver slot and a insert pin that is slightly longer.

Granted that you may have to go none-Colt to find the parts, but it would be worth it in the long run.
Top Top