Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 12:31:44 PM EST
Ok,
So I picked up my Ameetec lowers today and everything went smoothly. Except the Bolt Release. It doesn't move freely, and the spring really isn't doing it's job. What should I do? I'm not sure what the problem is. I don't know if the release is outta whack or what.

Rich
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:40:10 PM EST
Some of the aftermarket release pieces are really crudely made, with lots of tool marks, and they grind and bind when you move them in and out manually. Check this out on your piece, and if that's what's going on, you'll have to remove the release and either polish the surfaces that are binding in the reciever, or replace the piece with a decently built unit.

Had the same problem w/a DPMS lower awhile back. The release was so out of spec I just threw it away and put a Bushie piece in. Works fine now
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:50:03 PM EST
Take the catch and the pin back out, and make sure that the catch rotates freely on the roll pin outside the gun. If it doesn't outside, it won't on the gun. You'll need to open up the hole with a needle file until it does.

If it does rotate freely on the pin, the the problem is somewhere between the catch and the receiver. Before you remove it, move it manually back and forth about 100 times. Then, when it's out, look where it's polished/worn and remove a little metal (sometimes just finish will do) there.

I just had both these problems with a build and fixed them in about a half hour as above.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:58:22 PM EST
I actualy ran into this on a mega lower i did. The hole that the spring goes into was either undersized or had crap in it and the cap that covered the spring would not slide freely in the hole. i used a drill bit by hand and then i think with a drill the just so ever slightly open it up. It works like a champ to this day....
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:20:33 PM EST
Ran into a similar problem with a model 1 sales M4 kit on an eagle arms lower. I had to widen the hole for the pin with drill before it would lock the bolt open on an empty mag. I second the comment with Bushy.. I assembled one of their lower kits on a RRA lower and it worked like a champ with no mods.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:29:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2004 2:29:58 PM EST by chrismartin]
same as Longhorn. Bushy lower, Mod1 kit. I had to drill out the hole on the Mod1 bolt catch just a little. I used the drill bit that fit the hole and just tweeked it around just a little. Mostly just to take enough finish off the part to let it move freely around the pin.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:03:23 PM EST
I swapped it out with a Colt part. It works perfect! WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Rich.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:13:44 PM EST
I have also had to open up the hole on the bolt catch for it to be able to rotate freely on the roll pin.
Top Top