Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2003 5:10:59 PM EDT
Well, I'm a bit of a newbie to the world of AR-15s, and I was just wondering something. It's a very simple question and I'm only curious, but is it a good idea to leave the bolt in the open position when an AR-15 isn't in use? After I go out and shoot it, I always leave the bolt open when I put it away, and I haven't gotten it out and fired it in quite a while. Is there any way this is bad for it, or doesn't it matter?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep it closed, including the dust cover.

It'll prevent spiders from spinning webs in your upper receiver and chamber, and I just prefer to keep any springs in their most relaxed position.

There's no reason to keep the bolts or slides open on anything, but it doesn't really hurt anything, either.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I keep it in its case all the time, so I don't think any critters will be getting in there, but I'll keep it closed. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#3]
No problem. Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Blick;

What kind of case? That may not be the best choice due to lack of air circulation and the possibility of trapped moisture.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#5]
It's the original Bushmaster case that it came in. (Plastic case with "egg crate" foam.)
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd also like to know if this is a bad case to keep it in.  I am worried about the foam sucking/soaking all the CLP off my rifle.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Use closed cell foam if you can.  The egg crate stuff will hold moisture. It will also eventually start to "decompose" and come apart on it's own do to the material "flaking" off.  This stuff gets on your weapon like dust especially when covered in CLP and the like.

Closed cell foam cases won't hold moisture like the egg crate.  I use a padded soft case withe closed cell for my Ar's and I leave it unzipped about 6 inches so air can circulate and evaporate any moisture.

I also keep the bolt closed and trigger decocked and dust cover closed.

Welcome aboard!
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Where can I get closed-pore foam?  I was thinking of putting my rifle in a plastic bag inside of the case and closing it up with a pack of dessicant.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I have it in a closet with the bolt closed now, not in a case. I'll look for some of that closed-cell foam some time.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Blick, here are a few other options.

The ideal way to do things is to store them in a safe at home, and use the Bushmaster case for transporting it to and from the range. It works great for that purpose, after all.

The next best way to do it would be to use a case with closed cell foam for storage and transportation. Or, alternatively, buy some raw closed foam and cut it to fit your Bushmaster case. It'll save you some $ on buying a new case. You can also find closed cell foam in some shipping boxes (free in that case), but they can be hard to find.

A very cheap way to "kind of" solve the problem with open cell foam is to cover both pieces of foam with old t-shirts (tucking edges in like bedsheets). Use two shirts for each side of foam, cut off the hem at the bottom and cut off the top of the shirt just under the armpits, then cut the "tube" so that you get one long rectangle.  You'd be cutting up four old t-shirts, or, better yet (but not exactly free) you could just get similar material by the yard at a fabric store, probably easier that way. The cloth from the store isn't that expensive, usually like a dollar or two per yard, depending on what kind you get.

The cloth does wick away some oil, but it also tends to hold it in the same location as a big oily spot, unlike open cell foam which just plain sucks it away and dissipates it. This is the method I use on pistol cases, only one old t-shirt needed for those small cases, so it's free.

That's a few things I've tried, from most expensive to cheapest, in that order.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's the original Bushmaster case that it came in. (Plastic case with "egg crate" foam.)
View Quote

------

Blick, the Bushmaster case is fine.

Close the bolt and cover, remove the magazine and pull the trigger(make sure its unloaded).

Just make sure you leave the case itself open(unlatched) preferably with a magazine etc... holding it partially open(allows air circulation).

As well make sure the rifle is clean and dry and the case is dry.

I slide mine under the bed with a loaded magazine next to the rifle in case its needed(this also holds the case partially open if placed on its end). Works great.

If one has kids of course one needs to alter this routine.

Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#12]
What about that yellow foam that you squirt and let dry?  Would that break up and get nasty or suck the CLP off the rifle?
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:36:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What about that yellow foam that you squirt and let dry?  Would that break up and get nasty or suck the CLP off the rifle?
View Quote

--------

What???
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#14]
You mean that stuff called "Great Stuff", in a spray can with a tube?

I wouldn't, personally. I've used the stuff and it seems way too hard and scratchy to use for that purpose. Works great for sealing voids inside walls to keep bugs out, but I personally wouldn't use it for gun case foam, unless maybe it had some type of strong, tough covering. The stuff does expand, so you could literally "fit" it to your rifle, but it would be a major pain in the butt to work with. You could try it, though, far be it from me to be a discouragement!
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#15]
That's exactly what I am talking about.  I bought a can of it and I'm testing it on some newspaper.  I'm going to let it cure over the weekend, then see how scratchy it is, if it offers any padding or absorbs any fluids.  I just don't know where to find any "closed-pore" foam that I can cut and mold to my rifle case.  I'm not even quite sure what it looks like.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’d also be worried about any chemicals in it attacking your plastic furniture and/or possibly causing rust.

Assuming there’s no humidity problems, I’ve always felt the best way to store a firearm is simply out in the open (and well oiled).  Still, that’s not always practical for a variety of reasons.

Brownells offers a variety of storage solutions.  You might want to check out their website, or, better yet, get their catalog.

An addition problem with leaving the bolt back on an AR is that it’s very easy to trip it and send it forward anyway – either by a firm tap to the butt or by accidentally hitting the bolt release.

Being a fairly cautious type myself, I like to close the bolt on a chamber flag.  However, that prevents you from closing the ejection port cover.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's exactly what I am talking about.  I bought a can of it and I'm testing it on some newspaper.  I'm going to let it cure over the weekend, then see how scratchy it is, if it offers any padding or absorbs any fluids.  I just don't know where to find any "closed-pore" foam that I can cut and mold to my rifle case.  I'm not even quite sure what it looks like.
View Quote

-------

That aint a good idea, bro.

If you're too paranoid to leave it in an open guncase, etc......

Go to the hardware store, buy a large 'S' hook and hang it by the sling in your closet(barrel down).

But if you're sold on relining your gun case with closed cell foam. Look for a backpacking or camping retailer in your area, or go online to campmor inc., etc..... and look for a closed cell foam sleeping pad/mat. This is the best resource for cheap and durable closed cell foam. Sometimes you can even find such pads at Wal-Mart in the camping department.

Link Posted: 8/30/2003 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's some places to get foam mail-order:

[url]www.foambymail.com/closedcell.html[/url]

Check out the 1lb polystyrene.

[url]www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=73083&cgmenbr=226[/url]

Look at the blue one for $7.99 (there's other ones too, though). It's 3/8" thick, so you can cut it in sections and "stack" them - one on the bottom for padding, a few layers with an outline cut out, then another flat layer. Or something along those lines.

[url]shop.store.yahoo.com/soundproofing/closedcellfoam.html[/url]

1" foam, sold by the linear foot, 48"x12" is $18.00

These are just some examples. But you could probably find this stuff locally, such as the camping mat (which James_Gang suggested). You could also just look around at Home Depot or an art and craft store and see what you can brainstorm up.

I also saw foam sold in cubes, like 1" and 2" cubes, where you could just stack them around the object and glue them down, etc. This way seems versatile since you could modify it by removing cubes to allow room for new accessories, such as scopes or whatnot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Okay, spekaing of moisture, I have another question. The only convenient place I can keep my AR in the case is against a wall... right next to an air vent, which runs almost all day.

Is it a bad idea to have it sitting right next to an air vent? The gun and the magazines both get really cold, too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Blick;

Please do not take offence, but why are you so obsessed with keeping the rifle in the case?

Him
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not, really. In fact, I put it back in a closet, and I'm probably going to keep it that way. The case is just an easily accessible place to put it and a it's out of the way. I have lots of relatives with little kids who visit a lot. I want to keep it out of (obvious) reach of children and still be accessible.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#22]
If, on the other hand, you close the bolt and the cover, and pull the magazine and the trigger, after you pull the trigger (whether the magazine was loaded or not) the gun will be (unloaded) and you may experience a ringing in your ears.

But seriously (not that AD's aren't) my first choice (ESPECIALLY in humid climates) is leave the weapon in the open air.  In general (im experience) cases are not that good of an idea for storage.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Safety Side Note (works for me):

Automatics:

I always leave cocked, with the safety on - loaded or not.  That reminds me that every gun is always loaded - watch where you point it and check it as soon as you even think about picking it up.

The difference in tension on the spring between a cocked and an uncocked weapon is negligable, and springs are cheap.

Pump shotguns are the exception BECAUSE:

I can immediately tell if there is one in the chamber by trying to slightly inch the bolt back.  And most people cary shotguns in combat environments without one in the chamber (until it's time to "rock") because trigger safeties do not block the hammer and if you drop/slam it just right, it WILL fire - safety engaged or not.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#24]
> I always leave cocked, with the safety on - loaded or not.

on my Glock G19, where is this "safety" thing you are talking about?   [:D] x 10

ar-jedi
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top