Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2004 3:50:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/25/2004 3:56:08 PM EST by Zeruel]
I just finished putting together my new AR (my second now) and experienced a problem down at the range I haven't had before. When a mag empties, the bolt does not lock open. It stays closed. Another unusual thing is that when I try to lock the bolt open manually, it locks on the bottom of the bolt carrier just in front of the mag well, instead of all the way back. It fires and loads new ammo just fine, but I'd like to figure out what is causing the problem. It has a carbine with collapsible stock.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:55:15 PM EST
Does your bolt catch move freely? When I put mine together, the bolt catch hole was very tight. When the roll pin was through it, it really wouldn't move too well and was so tight that the magazine spring couldn't pop the catch up. I used a small drill bit that fit into the hole and a dremel tool to ream out the hole in the bolt catch ever so slightly (Really just removing some finish) so that it would rotate on the roll pin better.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:59:37 PM EST
The bolt catch moves freely. It doesn't grind against anything or get stuck. It seems to be exactly the same as my other ar15 that works properly.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:05:58 PM EST
You didn't use an A2 stock buffer spring in the collapsible stock tube did you? Isn't the CAR stock spring shorter? (Just guessing at this point, sorry)
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:13:18 PM EST
Just for a sanity check I popped out the buffer \ spring on my new carbine, then popped out the buffer \ spring on the old one (it uses a carbine spring and buffer as well). Sure enough, the new one has the incorrect spring! I just bought this kit from M&A at a recent gunshow. My first AR was an M&A kit with a RRA lower, just like the new AR. Never had any problems with the first kit. This would be the second problem with this kit now. I had an out of spec disconnector (it was cut at the wrong angle it looks like, it would catch the hammer at the top notch and never let it go - a new disconnector solved the problem) and now this. Grrr That is probably the cause of the problem. Thanks!
Top Top