Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/26/2003 11:19:55 AM EDT
I just installed a pinned telestock (carbine length buffer tube) on my Bushmaster M4A3 and now when I pull the charging handle back it goes almost all the way back, but just not far enough to engage the bolt catch. Is this okay? I just don't want to shoot it and find that I totally screwed something up!
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#1]
If the stock/tube is the type that uses the rear butt stock screw, you need to check the length of the screw.  It may be too long and is sticking into the receiver extension, and not allowing the buffer to go all the way back against the end of the tube (screw is blocking the last bit of travel.

If the stock uses a true Car receiver extension, then check the buffer and spring.  If either are the full length size, then will cause the problem, especially the spring, which winds/binds before the buffer is all the way back.

P.S. My offer still stands; I left you a message on your machine, and will be in town for a few more days.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#2]
[B]P.S. My offer still stands; I left you a message on your machine, and will be in town for a few more days.
[/B]

Thanks again, I did call you the other day but you weren't home at the time. You say you left a message? because I don't have an answering machine, lol. I'm going out of town Monday for 3 weeks and this weekend is just too full to fit anything else in. I really do appreciate the offer though!
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Did a check and the spring that came with it is about 3/4" shorter than the original A2 spring and the buffer is definitely shorter as well...
It would only take about another 1/16" more for the bolt catch to engage on the face of the bolt. [:\] Hmmm....
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like my wife wrote down the wrong number, she just said that someone from AR15 called and left a number.  I have to fly out on the 31 to Palm Beach, so maybe we can get together when I get back.
-----------------------------------------
Pull the spring off the buffer, then drop the buffer down the tube, swing the upper back on and re-try.  See if the buffer is too long for the tube, or if something is in the back of the tube.  To get the upper back open, just bounce the muzzle on the carpet to get the carrier to lock closed.

If the buffer is too long, and there is nothing stuck in the back of the receiver extension, then you will have to get the suppler back on the phone and have them send you the correct buffer, or that is not an option, then you could shorten the buffer bumper (only a hair).

Note: If this is a stock for a 9mm, some of them have a plug/adapter that fits in the back of the tube to limit the amount that the buffer can run back, or this may be a 9mm buffer that does not require the spacer.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll try that. My thought is that the spring is just a tad long and is bottoming out when compressed, if this is the case could I just cut 1 ring of the bottom of it to correct for that? I'll IM you with my phone number...
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Just to add, make sure that the receiver extension is over the buffer retaining pin (all most touching the center post).  If not, you will have problems with the detent popping out and reeking havoc in the receiver.

If you find that you cannot spin the tube one more wind to get the tube over the lip, you will need to mill/file the bottom end face of the tube 1/2 thread winds to allow you to index the tube into the receiver the correct amount.  

Also, if you need to mill, remember to check the top of the tube out against the receiver.  It should be flush with the top/inside to allow the carrier to slide into place when you shotgun the upper lower together.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Roger that, looks like I'll have to do that...
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 10:22:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Luke,

Looks like your $50 pinned stock was not such a good deal after all. Truthfully, you could have just spent the extra $20 and would have not had any problems.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 6:31:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Live and learn....

Well I suppose all the modifications add "character" to the rifle, heh. [:D]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top