Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/5/2006 11:27:13 AM EDT
My new build functions fine, but the bolt catch is stiffer than on any AR-15 I've fired. It takes a significant amount of force to press down in order to make it close an open bolt.

Is there anything I can do to make it so it's not as tight? What might be causing this? I tried greasing up its engagement surfaces but that didn't make any difference.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:22:29 PM EDT
When you dry fitted the catch into the receiver slot, did it move freely in the slot?
If not, they you will need to fine tune the slot, or get a catch that does fit correctly.

If the catch fit the receiver correctly (read was a little loose), and now with the roll pin installed, the catch is stiff, you may have to pull the catch and dry fit the roll pin into the catch (out of the receiver). If the pin does not slide threw the catch hole (read have some play), then you will need either correct the catch hole to fit the roll pin, or get replacement parts that are within spec (catch or roll pin).

P.S. You have the lubed the catch to try and loosing it by working it by hand, and confirmed that you have installed the correct spring and buffer?

www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:38:09 PM EDT
Yes. It's fine (loose actually) when it's not holding a bolt. It tightens up something awful when it's holding the bolt.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:32:22 PM EDT
Never really noticed is my bolt catches where tighter than each other. When releasing the bolt, i just use the palm of my left hand to tag the release tab on the way up from seating the mag.

Since this is a new build, just keep it lubed and see if it loosens up a bit. Or if you just must, pull the catch and check the bottom surface/edge on the catch to see if there is a bottom bur/ridge that is scrapping up the receiver slot and causing the extra tension when the bolt has it loaded/cam'd forward.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:05:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/6/2006 11:06:10 AM EDT by theshootersden]

Originally Posted By RavenVT100:
My new build functions fine, but the bolt catch is stiffer than on any AR-15 I've fired. It takes a significant amount of force to press down in order to make it close an open bolt.

Is there anything I can do to make it so it's not as tight? What might be causing this? I tried greasing up its engagement surfaces but that didn't make any difference.

If it catches the bolt on an empty mag without any trouble, then let it alone... It will smooth out in time from normal use...
Top Top